Songs That Give You the Goosebumps (the good ones)
Nov 5, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #106 of 159
My TL;DR list:

Spem in alium sung by the Tallis Scholars (The Huelgas recording is more balanced, but the pure joy of the Tallis Scholars version with the sopranos seeming to soar into the atmosphere!). Ockeghem's Deo Gratias (Huelgas Ensemble recording). Bruckner's Locus Iste and Gorecki's Totus Tuus (recorded by The Sixteen). Arvo Part's Spiegel im Spiegel and Da Pacem Domine. Karl Jenkins's Benedictus especially the cello solo in the beginning. Gorecki's Symphony No. 3.

Inama Nushif off the Children of Dune OST by Brian Tyler. Though I must admit to having a weakness for bell tones, which also feature in my favourite album (Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells) and the next track on my list: Sacrament from Richard Einhorn's Voices of Light. The church bell ringing as massed strings join the melody, the sound merging with the low-voiced choir swelling into fullness, and then when the choir breaks into full hymnal voice with "O feminea forma..." with the bell pealing in the background...Really, the whole album is a marvelous piece of music. Thomas Newman's score for Angels in America (in particular the title theme and Plasma Orgasmata and... Actually, just take tracks 24 and 27-31, and that is all.) Elo Hi sung by Ofra Haza from the La Reine Margot soundtrack. Diamanda Galas's vocals. When David Heard, Cloudburst, Lux Aurumque, Kala Kalla from Five Hebrew Love Songs and Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine by Eric Whitacre.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #107 of 159
Aerodynamic - Daft Punk...
and the rest of the Discovery album. pure ecstasy with my S9 and RE0's

some songs on the Ghosts albums by Nine Inch Nails,
Hard To Say - The Used, if i'm in the mood for it
and, The Perfect Drug - NIN

oh, and any of the uploaded vids by iamamiwhoami on youtube.
not just the music but everything about those videos...

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #112 of 159
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah 
Dishwalla - Counting Blue Cars
Pink Floyd - Time (and the rest of DSOTM, depending on what kind of mood I'm in)
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (reminds me of my father)
Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks
Led Zeppelin - Ten Years Gone

Led Zeppelin - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
Led Zeppelin - Tea For One
Led Zeppelin - Down by the Seaside
Led Zeppelin - Going to California
Led Zeppelin - That's the Way
Led Zeppelin - Thank You
Led Zeppelin - What is and What Should Never Be
Led Zeppelin - Your Time is Gonna Come
Jack's Mannequin - Caves 
The Replacements - Here Comes a Regular
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Claude Debussy - Clair de Lune
Procol Harem - A Whiter Shade of Pale
Sunny Day Real Estate - Faces in Disguise
NiN - Hurt
Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody

...And there are plenty more where these came from.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #113 of 159
Listening now to Spem in Alium - Tallis Scholars.  I had only heard the Kronos Quartet version until now.  It is a great example of 'purity of musical expression'.  Many thanks for posting.  Your other recommendations are on my list...

Quote:
My TL;DR list:

Spem in alium sung by the Tallis Scholars (The Huelgas recording is more balanced, but the pure joy of the Tallis Scholars version with the sopranos seeming to soar into the atmosphere!). Ockeghem's Deo Gratias (Huelgas Ensemble recording). Bruckner's Locus Iste and Gorecki's Totus Tuus (recorded by The Sixteen). Arvo Part's Spiegel im Spiegel and Da Pacem Domine. Karl Jenkins's Benedictus especially the cello solo in the beginning. Gorecki's Symphony No. 3.

Inama Nushif off the Children of Dune OST by Brian Tyler. Though I must admit to having a weakness for bell tones, which also feature in my favourite album (Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells) and the next track on my list: Sacrament from Richard Einhorn's Voices of Light. The church bell ringing as massed strings join the melody, the sound merging with the low-voiced choir swelling into fullness, and then when the choir breaks into full hymnal voice with "O feminea forma..." with the bell pealing in the background...Really, the whole album is a marvelous piece of music. Thomas Newman's score for Angels in America (in particular the title theme and Plasma Orgasmata and... Actually, just take tracks 24 and 27-31, and that is all.) Elo Hi sung by Ofra Haza from the La Reine Margot soundtrack. Diamanda Galas's vocals. When David Heard, Cloudburst, Lux Aurumque, Kala Kalla from Five Hebrew Love Songs and Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine by Eric Whitacre.

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #114 of 159
Marty Friedman - tears of an angel
Led Zeppelin - Kashmir
Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand
Norah Jones - Lonestar
Norah Jones - Dont Know Why 
Eagles - New kid in town
George Harrison - While my guitar gently weeps
King Crimson - in the court of the crimson king
X Japan - Forever Love (piano version)
James Blunt - You re Beautiful

Nov 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #116 of 159
It's a little-known song, I think, but "Let Me In" off of REM's Monster album has always done the trick for me.  

"Into Dust" from Mazzy Star's So Tonight That I Might See is another goosebump raiser.  

Finally, I think the most chilling (and touching) song I've heard in recent memory is "No One Hurts Up Here" from Shane Nicholson and Kasey Chambers' Rattlin' Bones CD.  The harmonies in that song and just the solemn simplicity of it are achingly beautiful.

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #118 of 159

38 secs , "Floooowww"

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #120 of 159
The one that does it for me that I can think of off the top of my head is probably

Battling the Green Death from the How to Train your Dragon Soundtrack. It only happens at the tail when there is only about 2:30 left of the song. I just feel like I'm flying 200mph dive bombing and gives me shivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back