songs in ipod distort after some time
Jul 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ronald Lee

100+ Head-Fier
hi there, wonder do any of you guy experiencing this issue? I am currently using a ipod classic 80gb for quite some time and recently i notice that some of the songs i put in my ipod some years back sound very distorted and have the cracking issue. Most of my song are ripped in WAV format. 

Jul 24, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
hi there, wonder do any of you guy experiencing this issue? I am currently using a ipod classic 80gb for quite some time and recently i notice that some of the songs i put in my ipod some years back sound very distorted and have the cracking issue. Most of my song are ripped in WAV format. 

First off, it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO CORRUPT DIGITAL DATA THAT HAS NO CONNECTION TO THE WEB. I've been seeing a lot of these threads where users think that audio quality problems stem from a corruption of bytes. This is ridiculous - particularly in an IPOD player.

Have you tried using a different set of phones? the 'cracking' issue is usually a symptom of a badly treated driver.

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 12
That never happens, what's happening is most likely:

1. You are getting better quality files all the time and the newer files are of obviously better quality than your older stuff, and now that you are used to better quality the older stuff sounds lousy in comparison.

-- This happened with me, I barely listen to a lot of my music from the 90's anymore because most of them are badly mastered/ripped or whatever. Digital music back in the 90's was in its infancy and it shows.

2. You got better headphones/gear that is more transparent and detailed, letting you hear more of the defects that you didn't notice in your old music.  I see in your AV a TF10, those are very detailed and can reveal flaws some cheaper gear might not be able to.

3. Your brain got better at listening after being in this hobby for too long, letting you "notice" details that you "never heard before" but were actually always there.

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 12

+1
Quote:
That never happens, what's happening is most likely:

1. You are getting better quality files all the time and the newer files are of obviously better quality than your older stuff, and now that you are used to better quality the older stuff sounds lousy in comparison.

-- This happened with me, I barely listen to a lot of my music from the 90's anymore because most of them are badly mastered/ripped or whatever. Digital music back in the 90's was in its infancy and it shows.

2. You got better headphones/gear that is more transparent and detailed, letting you hear more of the defects that you didn't notice in your old music.  I see in your AV a TF10, those are very detailed and can reveal flaws some cheaper gear might not be able to.

3. Your brain got better at listening after being in this hobby for too long, letting you "notice" details that you "never heard before" but were actually always there.

Jul 25, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 12
hi there, thanks for the replies!

@Mochan, you mention that TF10 tend to be more transparent therefore allowing me to hear more defect right, but the problem is I am using a TF10 normally, but recently I switched to a much lower grade earphone, the distortion is much obvious.

Jul 25, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
hi there, thanks for the replies!

@Mochan, you mention that TF10 tend to be more transparent therefore allowing me to hear more defect right, but the problem is I am using a TF10 normally, but recently I switched to a much lower grade earphone, the distortion is much obvious.

Well, then the problem is likely in the quality of the different earphones you are using now.  Time to buy some better phones.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 12
Did you connect your iPod to the computer and did a disk health check (disk utility for Macs)? Maybe the disk starts to die and defective sectors cannot be read any more. I guess the error correction of the mp3 software would start to kick in then. This may cause impurities, depending of the severeness of the gaps.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

Well, then the problem is likely in the quality of the different earphones you are using now.  Time to buy some better phones.

yup, soon. Going to upgrade my TF10 to a custom soon! :D

Quote:
Did you connect your iPod to the computer and did a disk health check (disk utility for Macs)? Maybe the disk starts to die and defective sectors cannot be read any more. I guess the error correction of the mp3 software would start to kick in then. This may cause impurities, depending of the severeness of the gaps.

How do you do it?

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #10 of 12
So have you noted that the songs have a point each time when they distort or crack? Does song 7 start it's problems at the 3.04 min. mark and so on? Also try to put your I-pod in a sound dock which will play songs without the use of the amp or miniplug and see how it sounds. You could have issues with the jack. I did with my classic. Have you tried to play your IPod with different headphones?

What is interesting is that you feel only the older songs are the issue? I have a collection of older IPods and they can do some silly things when the battery starts to fail. Does you IPod run a charge for as it did when you purchased it new? The battery failure is a slow process not a day when the thing stops.

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
As I said: connect the iPod to the Mac and start Disk Utility. At the status line it reports the smart status of the disk. This should already give the necessary information.

Thanks dude, but I am using Window right now, any other possible way to do it?

Quote:
So have you noted that the songs have a point each time when they distort or crack? Does song 7 start it's problems at the 3.04 min. mark and so on? Also try to put your I-pod in a sound dock which will play songs without the use of the amp or miniplug and see how it sounds. You could have issues with the jack. I did with my classic. Have you tried to play your IPod with different headphones?

What is interesting is that you feel only the older songs are the issue? I have a collection of older IPods and they can do some silly things when the battery starts to fail. Does you IPod run a charge for as it did when you purchased it new? The battery failure is a slow process not a day when the thing stops.

Hi Sir, thanks for the reply.  Most of the time when the distortion happen is when I plugged directly into the earphone jack when I did not use it with my amp. When I connect them to my sound dock or my amp using the line out jack, there seems to be no such issue. 

I am always switching around with different earphones and it always happen when I did not use my player with my amp. 

I guess like what you had said, it start to do silly thing when the battery starts to fail, now I notice my battery starting to give problem!

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #12 of 12
Happy to be of help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back