Songs from foreign languages
May 3, 2011 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Vinc

Head-Fier
Hey !
I've always loved listening to foreign songs because I pervceive the vocals as a complete instrument, instead of always trying to understand the lyrics.

I'll start with a french -from Québec- song. It's not his best song, but one of his only two that I could find in high quality.

Post some of your favourites!

May 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 14
From my library:

Therion - O Fortuna (Latin)

Please disregard the video, it was the best audio I could find.

Sepultura - Itsari (Xavantes tribe of Brazil, the Datar Wawere, a healing ceremony chant)

Sepultura - Primium Mobile/Still Flame (unknown, awesome timbre & meter though)

May 3, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 14
Vinc, I really dig the first song you posted, the vocals really make it. The second song reminded me of another singer that was posted on this site before. She played the harp. Maybe someone will chime in or I'll find it. Anyway, you'd probably like it.

Cheers!

May 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #7 of 14
I'm listening to Gregorian Chant right now.  I have 350 CDs of various kinds of world music.  Some instrumental and some is sung in English, but most is in non English languages.

A really good web site I found recently is http://www.voodoofunk.blogspot.com/.  The guy spends a lot of time wandering around West Africa looking for old LPs.  There's quite a few free downloads of mixes.  Most of them are as one long mix but he usually includes track times so you can create a queue sheet and split them.

One band that I loved and unfortunately doesn't exist any more is Ekova.  It's still worth getting their albums.  The were a North African oud player, an Iranian percussionist, someone, possibly French, doing programming, and and American singer who sings nonsense syllables on most of their songs and English on others.  They were based in Paris

May 4, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 14
Carmina Burana, Orff. The lyrics are in Latin. I took a couple years of Latin in undergrad, so it's fun to chant along.

Anything by Ali Farka Toure. He sings in Malinese and plays a fusion of traditional Malinese music and Delta Blues. Really. It sounds familiar and totally exotic at the same time. I can't recommend him enough.

Various Stereolab recordings. They switch up between French and English. Always fun.

Speaking of France, try some Édith Piaf.

And hasn't Celine Dion recorded in French, as well? :evil:

Also, the Super Furry Animals occasionally cut loose in Welsh (making them even weirder, but I love those guys) and try some Mexican banda and corridos.

May 5, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 14
I so agree about treating vocals as another instrument and will happily listen to the Scandinavian prog rock scene, no matter the language used. Here are Trettioariga Kriget, sung in Swedish

May 6, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 14
Have you ever heard "Bengawan Solo"? its Indonesian song which pretty famous. The music is beautiful.
This one is instrumental version by Harmony Chinese Music Group Bandung in Keroncong Style.

This one is sung by Sundari Soekotjo (a famous keroncong singer):
http://sundarisoekotjo.multiply.com/video/item/4/YouTube-_Bengawan_Solo_-_Sundari_Soekotjo

IMHO the best version is duet between Waldjinah (a very famous keroncong singer) and Gesang himself. Angelic voice of Waldjinah combined with strong and crisp voice of Gesang really make me fly..... If by any chance you stumble upon some classic Indonesian CD featuring Bengawan Solo sung by Waldjinah and or Gesang, GRAB IT IMMEDIATELY!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back