songs about doing drugs
Dec 14, 2001 at 7:00 AM Post #16 of 39
Puff The Magic Dragon comes immediately to mind. I used to think it was about a friendly magic "Dragon". Now everytime I hear it it makes me laugh.
tongue.gif

What about that relatively new one by Afroman? The one that goes "Cos I got high, cos I got high, cos I got high...". It's hilarious.
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 8:36 AM Post #17 of 39
I see this degenerated into songs that are markedly not classic rock
wink.gif
so I'd like to get back into CLASSIC rock.

I can't believe nobody mentioned the Doors! Everything they performed that I've heard just sounds like Jim Morrison is high/tripping/whatever... but not drunk.
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyone else agree?

Dec 14, 2001 at 3:37 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
wink.gif

I can't believe nobody mentioned the Doors! Everything they performed that I've heard just sounds like Jim Morrison is high/tripping/whatever... but not drunk.
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyone else agree?

Okay, classic rock.

Momma Told Me Not To Come--Three Dog Night
Spill The Wine--Eric Burton & War (if it's not about doing drugs, it oughta be....

The Doors? Ya gotta wonder what Strange Days is all about.
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 6:45 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
Unless you've got a good source for that story, I don't think it washes.

How about Roger Waters? It was in an interview with him shortly after the album came out. Quote:

They wrote The Wall specifically as music for the movie...

Uh...no. The movie (1982) came out after the album (1979) and tour (1980-). The album is semi-auto-biographical about Roger Waters' life with significant artistic license taken, and much allegory. He was very cinematic about it from the beginning, but the movie wasn't a "given" until it was actually released. Quote:

...it's clear in the context of the movie that Pink is seriously messed up on both prescription and recreational drugs.

No argument there. And neither am I saying that he wasn't "high" during the doctor experience, so maybe it is about taking drugs, I'm just saying it's not directly about shooting up or anything. That's all I'm saying.

Dec 14, 2001 at 8:08 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"one slip (momentary lapse of reason)" (pink floyd):
i've always thought this one was about taking magic mushrooms. especially with the alice in wonderland reference.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huh? That one's about cheating (as in, relationship). PS What Alice in Wonderland reference? Not being a contrarian, I sincerely don't know of what you speak.

i always thought "one slip, and down the hole we go" was a reference to alice falling down the rabbit hole. it's been years since i listened to that album so i could easily be wrong.

jeez, i guess i did miss a few! i can't believe i missed "cocaine"! i must have been high!
wink.gif

please don't feel you have to limit yourself to "classic rock".

i'll add:
bauhaus: that song with the lyrics "the smack, the hose, the blackened spoon... get this monkey off my back!!"

u2: running to stand still "she'll suffer the needle's chill". i never got it until i saw u2 do it live. at the end of the song bono pretends to shove a needle into his arm and falls dramatically to his knees. what a ham.

has anyone noticed certain bands (i'm looking at YOU, pink floyd) sound a little more interesting under the influence?

Quote:

So how many of you decided to try drugs after listening to the Beatles?

well, they may have had a little influence. they did add some subliminal (or has it been changed to subliminable by executive order?) references to smoking pot; the end of "i am the walrus" they are singing "smoke pot smoke pot everybody smoke pot". speaking of subliminal messages, if you play queen's "another one bites the dust" backwards they are clearly saying "it's fun to smoke marijuana". now why would they do that?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 9:24 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
Anyone else agree?

wow, two arrogant statements in one day
confused.gif

The Doors are one of my favorites, oops, but i wanted to list something more recent, the thread started doesnt seem to mind.

George

Dec 14, 2001 at 9:34 PM Post #25 of 39
I'm sorry George if it came off the wrong way... I meant to say that in a joking way. As soon as we can record our voices as open messages...
smily_headphones1.gif

There are lots of good, sometimes funny, sometimes downright serious songs that are being written nowadays about drugs as well. No way did I want to step on anybody's toes or come off as arrogant. Okay, I didn't want to come off as too arrogant.
wink.gif

But it does seem to me that a lot of the songs written back in the 60s either about drugs or under the influence were deeper -- or at least connect better with me. It's just personal preference, I guess, but I just happen to like them more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 9:46 PM Post #26 of 39
Hey DanG, just a little arrogant! LOl. I guess i could understand that. I just take Stabbing Westward's "Darkest Days" album as pure bliss. Dont get me wrong, i listen to a lot of 60's classic rock, i love the Doors...thanks to my brother. I guess for artists during that time period, experimenting in drugs was seen as getting high for purposes of finding a deeper meaning to their existance? I dont, hell, i dont even smoke cigarettes!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 10:27 PM Post #27 of 39
I bought Darkest Days a few years ago, but gave it away as a present this past summer. It was a good album within the genre, but those newer-rock albums don't see much playing time in my systems nowadays. Most of the new rock that I listen to is Cake (Fashion Nugget) and even a little bit of Weezer's first two albums. Seems to me they don't talk much about drugs, though.
wink.gif

I'm listening almost exclusively to classical music now, though, with some jazz and classic rock thrown in. These Eties just block out all the outside noise so much that I can really listen to classical music the way it was meant to be enjoyed. NO discussion of drugs there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 10:32 PM Post #28 of 39
LOL, how bout Weezer's "green album"? It seems that some people dont like it much, i honestly felt "pinkerton" was a terrible album, just very messy execution. I dont listen much to all the new rap/rock hype, but linkin park definitely stands above this genre...hopefully they wont fall down into the rest of the pickings.

George

Dec 14, 2001 at 10:40 PM Post #29 of 39
I'd just like to say that of all the drug songs listed here, Chinese Rocks kicks the harshest ass IMO. More on Dusty's Spaceman 3 -> Spiritualized's current cd has numerous songs with drug references. My favorite song from that is Out of Sight.

"Out of sight is always out of mind.
I think out of mind is out of sight."

It's funnier each time I hear it. I can't wait to get that cd back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back