songs about doing drugs
Dec 13, 2001 at 8:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
first off, this post is in no way condoning drug use, especially if you're still in school. even smoking weed can screw up your education and *gasp* screw up your chances with the ladies.

that said, has anyone noticed the number of classic rock songs dedicated to drug use? i was thinking about this this morning listening to the beatles. here are a few of these songs and what i think they are referring to:

with a little help from my friends (beatles):
i would say "friends" are just any drug of choice... helps him get along when he's all alone.

lucy in the sky with diamonds (beatles):
i know john denied this, but it is obviously about taking l.s.d. "that grow so incredibly high"

"fool on the hill" (beatles):
about smoking pot. especially if you see the drawing in the m.m.t. book.

"space oddity (major tom)" (bowie):
i'm pretty sure this one's about heroin, i think bowie was into that at one point.

"heroin" (velvet underground):
pretty obvious.

"mother's little helper" (?) (rolling stones):
i would guess this one is about prescription drugs like quaaludes.

"comfortably numb" (pink floyd):
some kind of i.v. drug, like morphine or heroin.

"one slip (momentary lapse of reason)" (pink floyd):
i've always thought this one was about taking magic mushrooms. especially with the alice in wonderland reference.

"drug of choice" (alice in chains):
another obvious one, and the only one that seems actual to be pro drugs. go figure.

i'm sure there are many others that are missing. do songs like this make you wonder what it would be like to try some of these drugs? do they condone drug use or condemn? do you think the song writer has to have tried the drug or be a regular user before (s)he can write about it?

Dec 13, 2001 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 39
OMG!
Many groups from mid 1960's to mid 1970's have songs talking about drug use, here are a few more off the top of my head

Who- magic bus
Beatles - strawberry fields (strawberry mescaline was popular then)
Donavon - mellow yellow (accapulco gold)
Doobie brothers - name says it all
amboy dukes - journey to the center of your mind (gonzo ted nuegant early work)
jefferson airplane - white rabbit et al
heartbreakers/johhny thunders - chinese rocks
grateful dead - where do I start?
black sabbath - snowblind
Lou Reed - waiting for the man
Steppenwolf - magic carpet ride

many many more.
Quote:

do you think the song writer has to have tried the drug or be a regular user before (s)he can write about it?

I think thats a good possibility........

Dec 13, 2001 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 39
Drug references in classic rock! No way!! That's like a rap song talking about drinking and getting high. Just not gonna happen.

You forgot Clapton's Cocaine.

My favorite one tha tmakes you *think* it's about drugs is Pearl Jam's Spin the Black Circle. Listen to how it opens up..

"See this needle...see my hand...
Drop, drop, dropping it down...oh, so gently...
Well here it comes...touch the plane...
Turn me up...won't turn you away...

Spin, spin...spin the black circle..."

Of course it's about vinyl records which may as well be a drug in some circles.

Dec 13, 2001 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 39
You forgot Steppenwolf's "The Pusher" & Skynyrd's "That Smell".

I might think of more later, but having been at about that age then, I still suffer from a little CRS.

Dec 14, 2001 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 39
Peter Paul and Mary: Puff The Magic Dragon
Beatles: Norwegian Wood
Nick Drake: Thoughts of Mary Jane

Dec 14, 2001 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
"comfortably numb" (pink floyd):
some kind of i.v. drug, like morphine or heroin.

No, actually that one was about a particular incident when the tour doctor prescribed something a little too strong for Roger Waters when he was too sick to do a show. About doing drugs, but not about doing recreational... Quote:

"one slip (momentary lapse of reason)" (pink floyd):
i've always thought this one was about taking magic mushrooms. especially with the alice in wonderland reference.

Huh? That one's about cheating (as in, relationship). PS What Alice in Wonderland reference? Not being a contrarian, I sincerely don't know of what you speak.

And don't get me wrong because I picked on your two Pink Floyd songs. It's not that I think Pink Floyd and drugs cannot possibly be mentioned in the same sentence. How about "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast"?

Others:

Black Sabbath - "Hand of Doom"
Jimi Hendrix - "Purple Haze"
Rush - "Road to Bangkok"
Skinny Puppy - "Addiction"
??? - "Needles and Pins"
Genesis - portions of "...and the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway"
Spaceman 3 - (entire oeuvre, see, E.G., Taking Drugs to Make Music to Take Drugs To)
other shoegazer artists? I'm not much of a lyrics person, but I suspect something like "Catching a Breeze" is about drugs)
Cure - "High" (not so sure about this one, perhaps someone more familiar with it)

Dec 14, 2001 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk
Rush - "Road to Bangkok"

Not to be a contrarian or anything but don't you mean "Passage to Bangkok" on 2112?
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 14, 2001 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 39
Bob Dylan "Mr. Tambourine man"
about a drug dealer (obviously)

And i think mother's little helper was valium or lithium, i don't remember which. ah well.

Don't forget about Steely Dan, although they tend to focus more on prostitutes than drugs

Lou Reed in general too, but likewise, he seems to focus more on social decay and cross-dressing.

aahhhhhh.... pop can be so wonderful sometimes.

Dec 14, 2001 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Nezer
Not to be a contrarian or anything but don't you mean "Passage to Bangkok" on 2112?
evil_smiley.gif

Yep, it's "A Passage To Bangkok" to be exact, and it's on 2112. The lyrics describe a journey around the world in search of the very finest pot.

How about U2's "Bad" from The Unforgettable Fire? Not really "classic" rock per se, but it's about someone who's addicted to a drug.

Oh, speaking of U2, there's the line in "Desire" -- I'm like the needle / needle and spoon, a definite drug reference, though not what the song's about.

There's Billy Joel, with "Captain Jack." So you play your albums and you smoke your pot / ... / But Captain Jack will get you high tonight /...

Also, there's "Big Shot." You had the Dom Perignon in your hand / And the spoon up your nose

Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk, in regards to Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb"
No, actually that one was about a particular incident when the tour doctor prescribed something a little too strong for Roger Waters when he was too sick to do a show. About doing drugs, but not about doing recreational...

Unless you've got a good source for that story, I don't think it washes. They wrote The Wall specifically as music for the movie, and it's clear in the context of the movie that Pink is seriously messed up on both prescription and recreational drugs.

Anyway, you can't toss a beanbag in a record store and not have it hit something with a drug reference 7 out of 10 times...

Dec 14, 2001 at 5:35 AM Post #14 of 39
Actually, that's JJ Cale's Cocaine.

Did anyone mention Snowblind by Styx?

Legalize It--Peter Tosh
I Shot The Sheriff--Bob Marley
Jump Nyabinghi--Bob Marley
Time Out Of Mind--Steely Dan
Down Under--Men At Work
Sister Morphine--The Stones
The Needle Lies--Queensryche
Cocaine Blues--Johnny Cash
Under The Bridge--The Red Hot Chili Peppers