Song with very distinctive cello opening
Jul 30, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 15
Hey, I tried.
biggrin.gif

I'll take a look (or rather, a listen) to see if that's right.

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 15
Hmm, it wasn't right.

But that one sounds nice as well! I guess I'm starting to get into the world of classical music.
I am certain I've heard Bach Cello 1 before. Excellent piece.

Thanks for trying!

Edit: I've found it. Now, I think I should change the goal of the thread, as to extend its life and be of better utility for me.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 15
Jesus, at least tell us the name of the song after giving such a vivid description of it (doo dert doo dert) haha

Aug 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 15
^haha that would be awesome! although Google has had a playable guitar for one day on its main page.. they should do it again!

Aug 2, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 15
Well, I guess it was kind of embarassing, that's why I didn't want to tell. I wanted to actually change the thread to a more general "recommend the best way to start classical music" type thread, but unfortunately, it was impossible to change the thread title.

Additionally, I thought there would be no more interest in finding out what the song is.

It turned out to be the Verge's "Bittersweet Symphony." I knew I had heard it somewhere, but I didn't realize it was actually a rock song and not a piece of classical music. I only heard the beginning part as I was walking by. I stayed around for about two songs prior, and they were all playing rock songs (with cellos instead of guitars, I may add) , so I should have figured this one would have been a rock song as well.

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Well, I guess it was kind of embarassing, that's why I didn't want to tell. I wanted to actually change the thread to a more general "recommend the best way to start classical music" type thread, but unfortunately, it was impossible to change the thread title.

Additionally, I thought there would be no more interest in finding out what the song is.

It turned out to be the Verge's "Bittersweet Symphony." I knew I had heard it somewhere, but I didn't realize it was actually a rock song and not a piece of classical music. I only heard the beginning part as I was walking by. I stayed around for about two songs prior, and they were all playing rock songs (with cellos instead of guitars, I may add) , so I should have figured this one would have been a rock song as well.

Haha, go figure!  That song actually had a lot of controversy over it and was rather 'borrowed.'

If you're interested: wiki that goes into it more.

Aug 3, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #11 of 15
^Wow. That's a shame really, did The Verve at least credit the group? They didn't even change the pitch.. unlike Led Zeppelin with their Spirit rip-off haha.
Hell on you, another song destroyed for me
triportsad.gif
(jk)
EDIT: I just skimmed the Wiki entry.. Why did all the royalties go to Jagger and Richards in the end? Are they linked to the orchestra?

Aug 3, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
^Wow. That's a shame really, did The Verve at least credit the group? They didn't even change the pitch.. unlike Led Zeppelin with their Spirit rip-off haha.
Hell on you, another song destroyed for me
triportsad.gif
(jk)
EDIT: I just skimmed the Wiki entry.. Why did all the royalties go to Jagger and Richards in the end? Are they linked to the orchestra?

Because the Andrew Oldham Orchestra - The Last Time was even further derived from "The Last Time" by the Rolling Stones.  (Andrew Oldham was their record producer)  It was also seen as stolen from The Verve since they had actually gotten permission to use the sample. The song became incredibly popular and suddenly 'too much of the sample was used.'

Haha,  I just thought I'd let you know there actually was sort-of-orchestral piece behind it.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 15
Right. Thanks for the info!

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 15
Ah, yes. That song is very similar to the verge's song. Thanks for showing me that video. It was pretty cool.

Although this turned out not to be a piece of classical music, this sparked my search for it. Maybe I should finally start getting into it, even though I do fine it a bit boring (maybe it is an acquired taste).

Aug 5, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Ah, yes. That song is very similar to the verge's song. Thanks for showing me that video. It was pretty cool.

Although this turned out not to be a piece of classical music, this sparked my search for it. Maybe I should finally start getting into it, even though I do fine it a bit boring (maybe it is an acquired taste).

I say go for it.  Maybe you'll find something new you enjoy.  
tongue.gif

There's usually at least one classical thread going in the Music forum directed at people wanting to get into the genre through some easier listening. Didn't even have to leave the first page and there one is.  Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back