Song Lists for Headphone Testing
Jun 17, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 26
I am looking for specific song recommendations to test specific aspects of a headphones abilities. Does anyone have a list already generated they would be willing to share?

If you have Spotify, you can search for lists that do that.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 26
Jun 18, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 26
If it's a test for yourself, you probably will do better with any track you know very well. As there is often a mix of hearing ability and training involved in detecting specific variables inside a track, starting with a "test signal" you've heard a thousand times on previous gears might help with the training part.
I might have a fringe opinion on this, but I never considered that a track needed to be super duper high end with super duper acoustic recording to provide one form of info or another on how I hear a given headphone. Again, if I'm listening mostly a certain type of music, wouldn't it make more sense to use that to get a sense of how that headphone makes me feel instead of playing some organ piece from Bach?(bad example for me as I do listen to a lot of that, but you get the idea^_^).

If you're looking to make reviews, then IMO the main criteria should now be to use tracks that most people already know, so that they have some experience and might get a better understanding of what you try to describe. If they are in a situation where they don't know the track and need to go listen to it for the very first time, the message you try to send might never be understood. They might just never bother to go listen to those tracks.

Jun 18, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 26
It really depends on your genre taste but I will throw out some really great recorded Albums.
1. Angus & Julia Stone "Down the Way" Very well recorded and great songs from Black Crow, Big Jet Plane, to Yellow Brick Road.
2. Mac Miller "Circles" Sounds kinda of a RAP/JAZZ Vibe everything is well recorded and all songs are great
3. Lana Del Rey "Norman F*^&ng Rockwell" Great Songs
4. Glass Animals "ZABA" Another great Album and 90% songs are awesome and sounds great with headphones

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 26
If it's a test for yourself, you probably will do better with any track you know very well. As there is often a mix of hearing ability and training involved in detecting specific variables inside a track, starting with a "test signal" you've heard a thousand times on previous gears might help with the training part.
I might have a fringe opinion on this, but I never considered that a track needed to be super duper high end with super duper acoustic recording to provide one form of info or another on how I hear a given headphone. Again, if I'm listening mostly a certain type of music, wouldn't it make more sense to use that to get a sense of how that headphone makes me feel instead of playing some organ piece from Bach?(bad example for me as I do listen to a lot of that, but you get the idea^_^).

If you're looking to make reviews, then IMO the main criteria should now be to use tracks that most people already know, so that they have some experience and might get a better understanding of what you try to describe. If they are in a situation where they don't know the track and need to go listen to it for the very first time, the message you try to send might never be understood. They might just never bother to go listen to those tracks.

This. Test signals doesn't achieve must if typical music you listen to doesn't sound ideal on headphones you test. Unless you're testing for the sake of technicality, I would stick to songs you cherish and mostly listen to that has good range and uses various instruments.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2020 at 10:40 AM Post #14 of 26
There're so much different genres and flavors out there.
It is important that the music sounds good to you.
A song you're not familiar with can't tell you the truth. :wink:

Jun 19, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #15 of 26
There're so much different genres and flavors out there.
It is important that the music sounds good to you.
A song you're not familiar with can't tell you the truth. :wink:
I think this is all good advice. Part of the fun for me is finding new songs that are really recorded well and shine with good equipment. I have found many new artists this way that I would not otherwise ie Eva Cassidy comes to mind from back in the day when I was shopping for loudspeakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back