Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
May 26, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #1,351 of 1,377
I have a question regarding Sonarworks 4. Maybe someone here will be able to answer it for me.
I have a bunch of headphones not included in their list, such as the HD630VB or the Nighthawk Carbon.
If the cans are not on their list of tunings, is there a way to still use it as just parametric eq?
Thanks.

May 26, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #1,352 of 1,377
I have a question regarding Sonarworks 4. Maybe someone here will be able to answer it for me.
I have a bunch of headphones not included in their list, such as the HD630VB or the Nighthawk Carbon.
If the cans are not on their list of tunings, is there a way to still use it as just parametric eq?
Thanks.

No, there isn't. You can tilt up or down on the bass and treble but that's about it. What I did was try and find a headphone setting that closely approximated the sound signature of my headphones and used that. Ultimately, though, that was the reason that I walked away from Sonarworks and started using EqualizerAPO and HeSuVi which did provide a really extensive parametric equalizer. Fast forward to today and I don't use any software and rely on a Schiit Loki to touch up the EQ on those headphones that need it.

May 26, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #1,353 of 1,377
No, there isn't. You can tilt up or down on the bass and treble but that's about it. What I did was try and find a headphone setting that closely approximated the sound signature of my headphones and used that. Ultimately, though, that was the reason that I walked away from Sonarworks and started using EqualizerAPO and HeSuVi which did provide a really extensive parametric equalizer. Fast forward to today and I don't use any software and rely on a Schiit Loki to touch up the EQ on those headphones that need it.
I use mac, which complicates things a lot.
I have a couple of days to decide if I purchase Sonarworks or not, but it just feel silly to get a license to apply eq to only a couple of headphones. For the same price I may get a Loki and be able to use it when I don't play music from my computer.
Thanks!

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #1,354 of 1,377
Well, downloaded the trial version of Sonarworks SoundID Reference tonight, and all I can say is I think I have found my endgame as regards what can be achieved with computer audio. Definitely going to be buying the full version. Gets a 10 out of 10 rating from me! I like!! :dt880smile:

Oct 17, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #1,355 of 1,377
IMO, Sonarworks is dropping the ball on supporting their software. There are too many current and popular headphone models that still have no profile available. I requested one back when the Clear Mg's were first released, many months ago, and still nothing. I've been using the one for the OG Clears. I'll admit that it actually sounds pretty great, but there are obvious differences between the two models so there is something being left on the table. There is also no profile available for the newer 2021 version of the LCD-X's, which have also been out for a while. The Denon 9200's have become quite popular and are frequently hard to find because of it, yet there are NO Denon profiles available. The software is only good if there is a profile available for your headphones so cranking those profiles out should be job #1. If no one at Sonarworks has set up a program with headphone makers to provide a pair (or just loan a pair) of their current models to them then that is a major failing. It benefits the makers as much as it does Sonarworks and it shouldn't be tough to convince them of that. I'm a Roon user and it looks like I'm about to start using it's built-in PEQ abilities or, possibly, trying an LCD-X and using the built-in EQ settings that Roon/Audeze have partnered up to offer (which is a pretty brilliant idea on both their parts). I was a huge believer in Sonarworks software but at this rate they're losing me quickly and I would definitely be reluctant to spend any more money with them.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #1,356 of 1,377
I used to be a staunch supporter of Sonarworks and paid for both True-Fi and Reference 4. My allegiance faltered when I saw that they were less interested in supporting new and different headphones and more interested in selling software/headphone sets and putting out bogus articles that promoted their software. The final straw was when I found EqualizerAPO and HeViSu. Here was a product that worked well, was totally free, and had over 700 built-in headphone profiles, and allowed you to build your own profiles that were as precise and detailed as you could make them. I used that for a while, and when I saw that Sonarworks shifted to the subscription based SoundID, I deleted the Reference 4 stuff completely. As of now, I don't use EqualizerAPO anymore, having purchased a Schiit Loki, and, full circle, I got a set of Hifiman Sundara, which don't need EQ at all!

Dec 15, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #1,361 of 1,377
Maybe this should go in a different thread, but I'll go here for now. I've been shopping for headphone correction software for a while. I use a pair of LCD-X for mixing/mastering my music and occasionally doing masters for friends. I noticed that my mixes weren't translating as well as I'd liked as my music style changed over the last year, so I looked into better metering and headphone correction and landed at a handful of finalists

1. Sonarworks - This was the first one that I was aware of. I've seen demos where I don't hear any difference, demos where it makes a huge change but feels like a lateral move in terms of monitoring ability, and demos where it makes a huge positive impact. In my demoing of it, and hearing from others who use it in headphones only (IE not for speaker/room correction where I DO see benefits) they go way too hard with the EQ. I couldn't find anyone who uses the headphone correction at more than 30-50%. I just used the online demo before deciding that it was too drastic a change for me to trust my judgement making new mixes, and it didn't address stereo imaging at all (which is one of the issues I have working in headphones). For those who have mentioned that Sonarworks isn't keeping up with new headphone profiles, I did notice they offered a service where you can send in your headphones and they will measure them and create a calibration for your specific unit. I only remember thinking they were charging a lot for me to ship my headphones to Europe and be without them for 6 weeks and hope that nothing got delayed or damaged in shipping. Not a good deal, but it could be why they're slow to add new units right now. I think there are better players for headphone correction, but for room correction I'd still consider them.

2. Dsoniq Realphones - I think this one launched either late in 2020 or early 2021. It prices around the same as the headphone only version of Sonarworks if you go with the 3 headphone package (which lets you choose 3 headphone profiles to go with the software). This also includes room/monitoring simulation in a few studios. This is another one where the demos definitely sound different but not really better, and it could be a helpful lens to check mixes through, but I wouldn't see myself running everything through this one. Big benefit over Sonarworks from the mixing perspective is that the room/speaker simulation will let you check a mix from a lot of different "angles", so to speak.

3. Slate Digital VSX - I hear very good things about this correction software, however it's only sold with their own headphones (which I suppose is gives them more control). Similar to Dsoniq, you can also have room/speaker simulation.

4. Acustica Audio Sienna - This one is expensive. I think almost $200 when it's not on sale (thankfully I caught a sale for cyber monday). And they make things needlessly complicated by having basic and pro versions included of both a headphone EQ correction and a room simulation (base version has 3 studios plus an anechoic chamber with a few speaker configurations in each with extra rooms/speakers available for about $70 as add-on packs that add 3-4 new rooms each). And to install even the basic system-wide utility you have to install the VST3 versions of all the other stuff first, and you have to manually route your audio through a new audio output called "Sienna System Wide Virtual Device" (and then select your actual audio output within the options menu of the software). I was able to get it figured out in an hour only because I regularly beta-test music software that doesn't have manuals, etc. This is not a consumer-friendly plug and play system.

BUT, if your headphones are on the list, this is a great sounding room simulation and headphone correction software. I just pulled up a room and speakers I liked, and then turned on correction for my headphones. I only have the base rooms, and I landed quickly on using the Spitfire mastering studio with a pair of 5-figure speakers in the room, and this is working wonders for both my headphones' frequency response and my perception of space within a mix. The software defaults at a reasonable 30% correction curve, which I lowered to about 25%, and I adjusted the output gain down by about 2DB to compensate for loudness changes so I can A/B accurately with the software off and on. I saved that preset and it loads with the software now. The soundstage is massively bigger AND more precise, the low end is more defined, the midrange and top end are both much clearer. I got this for mixing, but I do all my listening with Sienna strapped across my PC's outputs now. I was convinced to give it a try by this SOS article.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/acustica-audio-sienna

Feb 8, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #1,362 of 1,377
Thanks.
Another parametric EQ would probably be better for that use. But if your headphones aren't on the list, you could use some other headphone's profile that has a similar frequency response. Not ideal, but it should improve the sound nonetheless.

Mar 16, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #1,363 of 1,377
I just got the Sonarworks SoundID Reference trial and wanted to use it with JRiver, but I can't figure out how to install the VST plugin.

I ran the file ReferenceVST3Win64.msi that came with the installation. Then went into Jriver DSP Studio, clicked on Manage Plug-ins --> Add JRiver VST or Winamp Plugin. But where do I find the Sonarworks VST? I'm using Windows 10, 64bit.

EDIT: Solved. I found the plug-in in the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #1,364 of 1,377
Can anyone that has sound ID reference try this and see if it’s an improvement across the board as I have?

Use custom eq starting with neutral, add a low shelf at 100hz +0.5db. I also prefer mixed filter, but this might be a separate thing.

I didn’t think an eq setting so subtle could provide such a difference. Subjectively to me sounds like it removes a digital hardness to the sound, almost like changing to a hybrid preamp. Wanted to validate this revelation against others to see if this super subtle eq change is more profound for me than others. I’ve tested this against both speakers and multiple headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #1,365 of 1,377
I just got the Sonarworks SoundID Reference trial and wanted to use it with JRiver, but I can't figure out how to install the VST plugin.

I ran the file ReferenceVST3Win64.msi that came with the installation. Then went into Jriver DSP Studio, clicked on Manage Plug-ins --> Add JRiver VST or Winamp Plugin. But where do I find the Sonarworks VST? I'm using Windows 10, 64bit.

EDIT: Solved. I found the plug-in in the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

JRiver can have some issues hosting some VST3 plugins. I'm not sure if the current Sonarworks plugin will work directly in JRiver.

If the Sonarworks plugin doesn't work you can use DDMF Metaplugin to host the Sonarworks VST3. Then run the DDMF plugin in JRiver. I have to do that with the older version of Sonarworks. It's a roundabout way of hosting the VST3, but it may work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back