Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software
May 3, 2018 at 4:10 AM Post #1,066 of 1,377
My K812 did not sound good after being calibrated by this software. My own equalizations that I do with EqualizerAPO and the Peace extention sound way better. I use the graph provided by innerfidelity on the discord channel discord.gg/yYFY2nC. There, you can go on the measurement board and use the command PDFC:K812:harman for example. Also can compare different headphone on the same graph which is very helpful when trying to emulate another headphone. Command then looks like PDFC:K812,HD600:harman. There are many other command for different purpose. Works better than sonar!

output.png

Tutorial for equalizing with APO

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #1,067 of 1,377
My K812 did not sound good after being calibrated by this software. My own equalizations that I do with EqualizerAPO and the Peace extention sound way better. I use the graph provided by innerfidelity on the discord channel discord.gg/yYFY2nC. There, you can go on the measurement board and use the command PDFC:K812:harman for example. Also can compare different headphone on the same graph which is very helpful when trying to emulate another headphone. Command then looks like PDFC:K812,HD600:harman. There are many other command for different purpose. Works better than sonar!

output.png

Tutorial for equalizing with APO

Am I able to download the equalizer settings from these generated graphs somehow?

May 3, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #1,068 of 1,377
Am I able to download the equalizer settings from these generated graphs somehow?

You must make the equalization on your own like shown in the video. However, I prefer working with the discord graphs. I tried to equalize once with the headroom graph (like in metal571 video) and it was just too troublesome with my K812.

May 5, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #1,069 of 1,377
I really enjoy the Sonarworks Reference 4 profiles for my supported headphones.

I just got a pair of Hifiman HE400i's to use with Sonarworks Reference 4. The detault HD400i calibration sound has too much bass. The frequency response shown on the chart shows bass roll off that is much larger than anyone else measuring the HE400i FR. I understand Sonarworks may measure somewhat differently from someone else, but the relative differences should make sense. For example, the Sonarwokrs profiles has the HD600 showing much less bass roll off compared to the HE400i where as ever where else I find HD600 compared to HE400i the HD600 has more bass roll off. Reference attached frequency responses to see what I'm talking about.

Question for Sonarworks reps what may be following this thread -
I have sent Sonarworks support an email stating the same thing above, is there anything else I should do to get Sonarworks to update the HE400i profile? I know the HD650 and HD600 profiles were updated and improved.

HD600_Sonarkworks.PNG HE400i_Sonarworks.PNG IMG-3381.JPG

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #1,070 of 1,377

I just got a pair of Hifiman HE400i's to use with Sonarworks Reference 4. The detault HD400i calibration sound has too much bass. The frequency response shown on the chart shows bass roll off that is much larger than anyone else measuring the HE400i FR. I understand Sonarworks may measure somewhat differently from someone else, but the relative differences should make sense. For example, the Sonarwokrs profiles has the HD600 showing much less bass roll off compared to the HE400i where as ever where else I find HD600 compared to HE400i the HD600 has more bass roll off. Reference attached frequency responses to see what I'm talking about.

I have sent Sonarworks support an email stating the same thing above, is there anything else I should do to get Sonarworks to update the HE400i profile? I know the HD650 and HD600 profiles were updated and improved.

I experience this too.

May 6, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #1,071 of 1,377

Following up on this, I'm wondering if the amp setup Sonarworks uses to create the HP profiles is not powerful enough to get accurate bass from planar magnetic HPs. Purely speculation on my part that that is the cause of the problem. Hopefully someone with Sonarworks will look into it.

May 7, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #1,072 of 1,377
I used to think that the bass boost was excessive, too. But watching the spectrum analyzer built into Foobar 2000, it appears that the bass I hear is an accurate portrayal of the bass I'm seeing in the analyzer. That said, I still set the dry/wet to 75%. I also find the bass to be detailed and tuneful, so I'm not complaining about it's presence.

May 7, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #1,073 of 1,377
I used to think that the bass boost was excessive, too. But watching the spectrum analyzer built into Foobar 2000, it appears that the bass I hear is an accurate portrayal of the bass I'm seeing in the analyzer. That said, I still set the dry/wet to 75%. I also find the bass to be detailed and tuneful, so I'm not complaining about it's presence.

Thanks for the personal impression. I will give the %75 wet a listen.

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #1,077 of 1,377
New update 4.1.0.50 is out- layout changes as shown:

https://www.sonarworks.com/reference

Install on top of my Sonarworks..and restarted Windows 10, worked for me from:
https://www.sonarworks.com/reference/downloads

From the product owner

The sad news:
Simulations have been removed from plugin and systemwide, due to legal issues (some people just don't want the world to simulate anything).
If you wish to continue using simulations, please do not update your plugin and systemwide to 4.1.

Sonarworks Establishes Sound Standard “Studio Reference (SR)” for Speakers and Headphones
Groundbreaking standardization methodology to be followed by release of Sonarworks Reference 4.1

https://sonarworks.com/blog/studio-reference-standard/

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #1,080 of 1,377
Finally, my HE-560 HPs have been added. :)
Can someone help me understand how i can activate the trial. I went through the manual, it says in the email I should have received activation code. However, not able to find activation code in the welcome mail, I received from sonarworks :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back