Son just severed my AKG K701 wire, suggestions to get them going again?
Oct 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

macisgr8

New Head-Fier
So I guess I need a rewire. I don't really want to attempt it myself. And I don't have a lot of extra cash as I lost my job as a Macintosh Tech at a large design firm here in Jacksonville, FL.
They only cost about $350 when I bought them so I don't want to put more than $100 into them for repair.
I really need them sometimes to get me to my "happy place" when my 3 and 5 year old kids are screaming!
Thanks for this great forum and all the people who take their time to answer questions!

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 8
If you don't mind a hack job, the easiest and cheapest way is to just do it yourself. Strip the ends of the individual wires on both sides that the cable was severed, twist them together, solder them, then wrap electrical tape over each of the exposed wires. Put something over the wires to make the cable more continuous like heatshrink.

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 8
Give em $20, a salami sandwich, and tell them its time they were on their own

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 8
As long as you get a decent mechanical connection between the wires before you solder them, you shouldn't get any negative effects on the sound (in my opinion). If you're not comfortable with it, I know we should have at least a few DIYers here who could give you an idea of what it takes to re-cable a K701. I have not taken mine apart so I probably won't be much help there. Good luck!

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 8
When the cable on my K701 suffered damage (by my own hand), a very nice Head-Fi expert did a great job. There are some real AKG experts here; PM me if you're interested in contacting my savior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back