Son just severed my AKG K701 wire, suggestions to get them going again?
Oct 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

macisgr8

New Head-Fier
So I guess I need a rewire. I don't really want to attempt it myself. And I don't have a lot of extra cash as I lost my job as a Macintosh Tech at a large design firm here in Jacksonville, FL.
They only cost about $350 when I bought them so I don't want to put more than $100 into them for repair.
I really need them sometimes to get me to my "happy place" when my 3 and 5 year old kids are screaming!
Thanks for this great forum and all the people who take their time to answer questions!

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 8

mypasswordis

Member of the Trade: Corsonus
If you don't mind a hack job, the easiest and cheapest way is to just do it yourself. Strip the ends of the individual wires on both sides that the cable was severed, twist them together, solder them, then wrap electrical tape over each of the exposed wires. Put something over the wires to make the cable more continuous like heatshrink.

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 8

gjkphd

100+ Head-Fier
Give em $20, a salami sandwich, and tell them its time they were on their own

Oct 5, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 8

Anonanimal

100+ Head-Fier
As long as you get a decent mechanical connection between the wires before you solder them, you shouldn't get any negative effects on the sound (in my opinion). If you're not comfortable with it, I know we should have at least a few DIYers here who could give you an idea of what it takes to re-cable a K701. I have not taken mine apart so I probably won't be much help there. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread