Somic MM163 : A $50 ATH-M50 alternative?
Nov 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bhazard

Headphoneus Supremus
I got my Somic MM163 from China today, and I just realized something... it looks just like the M50 I got yesterday. I mean you can absolutely tell the inspiration was the M50.

Then it got me thinking... maybe it sounds like the M50 too? If it does, then $50 is a sweet deal for a good quality monitor.

I can say up front, that the sound signature is not identical to the M50... BUT, these actually might be more neutral and monitor like. Bass is neutral, but it actually extends pretty deep. The specs say 8hz, and I actually believe it. Nothing seems overextended on the top end. Lots of clarity. Those who crave heavy bass won't like these, but there is some EQ headroom for a little extra if you want it.

Lots of similar design cues here:

So far so good. Like all my other Somic Headphones, I'm liking them quite a bit. They easily sound as good as the M50, just with less midbass.

Nov 7, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 10
I got those too. They sound amazing and look great too. The build quality is top notch - seems very sturdy. I made a replacement cable for them cause I didn't like the coiled one that came with it and didn't even had to replace socket cause its cavity fits the standard Nutrik 3.5mm plugs like a glove.

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #4 of 10
Somic wins the award for most FOTM'S...

Dec 24, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 10
So, it seems that I'm going for the mm163 instead of the m50, it's a long debate for me...

Is really that similar in sound??

Is Allirxpress a good source for those?

Same type of sound, yes.. but the MM163 is more accurate I think. Less bass impact, but more neutral and clear. I sold my M50 and kept these.

Aliexpress seems to be the best that I know for around $50 shipped. 

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 10
Ordered!

Do you guys have any experience to compare the somic to other closed models like AKGK550, srh940, vmoda m100...

These are meant for a studio monitoring type sound, so they will be more accurate than the VModa, with less of a bass and treble emphasis. Never tried the others.

Apr 10, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 10
i found my new headphone at last 
dt880smile.png

im going to order and wait 
popcorn.gif

(if) its not worse than mm185, right ? 
i liked detachable cable. and i can use my old headphone's pads and cable for this, cuz they were good.

May 26, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #10 of 10
Hello,

What about the isolation? Do they have a decent isolation?

I intend on buying them and use them in the office and/or on bass guitar.
I also like it`s brother the MM185 and also the Samson SR950 are worth a shot.
What is your opinion between these two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back