Somic EFi-82 MT: Believe the Hype
Feb 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #76 of 331
So Cash, would you be willing to tell the eBay seller that there is yet more demand for the headphones? I'd rather not have to Aliexpress or Taobao them.

On the comparisons with the S500, just wondering, and I don't mean to offend: did you burn the S500's in? The thread on them contains several instances of "'I just got these and something sounds off.' 'Burn them in first!'"

As for burned in EFi-82 MT's sounding like HD-600's, that's why I'm so curious!

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #77 of 331
Quote:
So Cash, would you be willing to tell the eBay seller that there is yet more demand for the headphones? I'd rather not have to Aliexpress or Taobao them.

On the comparisons with the S500, just wondering, and I don't mean to offend: did you burn the S500's in? The thread on them contains several instances of "'I just got these and something sounds off.' 'Burn them in first!'"

As for burned in EFi-82 MT's sounding like HD-600's, that's why I'm so curious!

My S500s were my primary headphone for a good 2 months. They had a few hundred hours on them, so I would hope they're burnt in. I also swapped the pads with Coby pads, which helped out a bit, and removed dampening material to counterbalance the foamier pads.

The EFi-82 MT's just sound better.

Anyway, I don't think that the HD-600 is a very apt comparison. Perhaps the Denon AHD-2000 or Beyerdynamic DTXX0 would be more fair (I haven't heard either 'phone, so I'm just going off of comparisons/reviews.) 

Are these in the same league as the HD-600?

I'll go out on a limb and say so. They're certainly better than the things that are below the HD-600 (FA-003, M50 and the like).

They just sound different.

Feb 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #78 of 331
Quote:
I got the 840 pads yesturday and i had little listening time with them.

Everything is more balanced now and the soundstage is even wider. I just don't sound like 65$ (20$ pad mod) headphone, i wish a had a reference level headphone to compare them.

why aren't they getting more attention? Did people received them and test them?

I have no idea why they're not getting more attention.

They had a bit of hype on the "Discovery" thread, but nothing lately.

I'm taking them to a local meet in a few months.

I think they'll turn a few heads. 
beyersmile.png

I think that people see these as another "too good to be true" fad-headphone. You know, how most FOTMs can't actually compete with the mid-range stuff, but come reasonably close for an affordable price.

No, these are neck-and-neck with more expensive cans. These are for real.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #80 of 331
Quote:
you mention HM5 pads.
Any comparison to the HM5 themselves?

I own the Jaycar (same exact headphone but 1/3rd of the price, gotta love Taiwanese OEMs.)

The EFi is similar in soundstage and treble, but has more hefty mids and bigger bass.

It's sort of a hybrid of the HM5/FA-003 and the JVC-HAS500, signature wise, but with more resolution than both of them.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #81 of 331
Quote:
I own the Jaycar (same exact headphone but 1/3rd of the price, gotta love Taiwanese OEMs.)

The EFi is similar in soundstage and treble, but has more hefty mids and bigger bass.

It's sort of a hybrid of the HM5/FA-003 and the JVC-HAS500, signature wise, but with more resolution than both of them.

Check your PM's!

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #82 of 331
Quote:

+1 Cash.....and there is a jump in resolution on the EFi with my Mogami W2983 Cryoed cable upgrade.....using HM5 pads with a little dampening, and the original cloth cover removed over the drivers!  Excellent sound!  Well worth the money, totally compare to $200 - $300 phones in sound!  Semi-open, great soundstage on natural tone!

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #83 of 331
Quote:

+1 Cash.....and there is a jump in resolution on the EFi with my Mogami W2983 Cryoed cable upgrade.....using HM5 pads with a little dampening, and the original cloth cover removed over the drivers!  Excellent sound!  Well worth the money, totally compare to $200 - $300 phones in sound!  Semi-open, great soundstage on natural tone!

Yep.

I know that I poked about 8 holes into the mesh of the cloth cover.

I'm sure that more holes = more treble.

I also poked a few holes into the dampening around the driver.

Lastly, I'm using Philips CitiScape Uptown earpads.

They look hideous, but I think that this really "aired things out" a bit. More soundstage, more treble. 

I'm diggin it.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #84 of 331
At least if you are seen with those, they will know that you are all about the sound lol! Nice work Cash!

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #86 of 331
Btw, those uptowns pads are quite comfy. I bet that rig feels good!

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #87 of 331
Heya,

I am on the hunt for new phones, and I would just like to know whether these would be a good starting point?
Whether they can satisfy my needs for alround music listening?

Thanks,

Feb 20, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #88 of 331
Quote:
Heya,

I am on the hunt for new phones, and I would just like to know whether these would be a good starting point?
Whether they can satisfy my needs for alround music listening?

Thanks,

Well, they satisfy my needs for all-around music listening, so I would hope they'd do the same for you!

Still, they do work best in a home environment, as opposed to in public, due to their semi-open design (there's a grille on the back of the earcup that makese them leak sound, but helps the instruments sound farther apart from each other [more of a 3D effect.])

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #90 of 331

Users who are viewing this thread

Back