Sometimes ya just gotta' crank it to 11
Feb 25, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and -
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [Pause] These go to eleven.

metallica: "battery"
stones: "street fightin' man"
r.e.m.: "radio free europe" (l.p. version)
s.t.p.: "flies in the vasoline"
rush: "red barchetta" (exit stage left live)
the beatles: "helter skelter"
pink floyd: "run like hell"

Feb 27, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #34 of 50
I guess SPINAL TAP should be the ultimate "Crank it to 11" band. Seeing as they coined the phrase
biggrin.gif

Thabnks for looking up that quote Redshifter.

Feb 27, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #35 of 50
I'm going to have to go with Tool's Lateralus (The Grudge and Ticks & Leeches always make me turn it up), or any of Linkin Park's stuff. Also, just got Eisbrecher's CD in the mail today, and that looks like it may be another 11 candidate...

(-:Stephonovich:)

P.S. Redshifter, you forgot the best part: "We've got, you know, armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening".

Feb 27, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #36 of 50
Trawlerman, I'm assuming that since the movie the 11 quote is in regards to the bands guitar amps then you are not reffering just to music that is best loud but also where the guitar is a very prominent out front element.

In that vein I have two David Bowie songs that immediately come to mind.

Suffragette City off Ziggy Stardust and Rebel Rebel off Aladdin Sane. Both songs are meant to be played loud and both have absolutely kick a** guitar lines.

They are also amazingly well recorded especially Suffragette City which is as clean as it is hard. I assume that should be attributed to Tony Visconti the engineer on those albums

Feb 27, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #38 of 50
mick and stephonovich,
that film has some of the funniest lines, but have to be read in a bad liverpudlian accent:
Quote:

Marty DiBergi: Oh, there actually is, uh... there was a Saint Hubbins?
David St. Hubbins: That's right, yes.
Marty DiBergi: What was he the saint of?
David St. Hubbins: He was the patron saint of quality footwear.

[Asked to write his own epitaph]
David St. Hubbins: Here lies David St. Hubbins... and why not?

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water.

Feb 28, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #40 of 50
Damn near anything from Santana!

Feb 29, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by sno1man
Trawlerman, I'm assuming that since the movie the 11 quote is in regards to the bands guitar amps then you are not reffering just to music that is best loud but also where the guitar is a very prominent out front element.

I think I was referring more to the tracks that just have to rock out to. Classic air guitar songs if you like. The ones that can't fail to get you strutting your stuff, posing in the mirror and singing (shouting
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
) at the top of your voice.

Quote:

In that vein I have two David Bowie songs that immediately come to mind.

Suffragette City off Ziggy Stardust and Rebel Rebel off Aladdin Sane. Both songs are meant to be played loud and both have absolutely kick a** guitar lines.

They are also amazingly well recorded especially Suffragette City which is as clean as it is hard. I assume that should be attributed to Tony Visconti the engineer on those albums

Absolutely. Suffragette City is just an amazing song. A real Tour De Force
biggrin.gif
It's a real air guitar track is that one.

BTW, did you know that Mick Ronson comes from Hull? His family still live in my neighbourhood.
biggrin.gif
We have a big park in our city centre with a bandstand that is dedicated the memory of Mick Ronson.

Thanks for reminding me about Bowie. I've just got my 2-cd set of the shelf and will listen to that tomorrow for definite.

Feb 29, 2004 at 8:43 AM Post #42 of 50
Pat Metheny-Secret Story
Al Di Meola-The Grande Passion
Max Lässer-Different Kind of Blue
Jan Garbarek-Visible World
Ray Montford-Many Roads
Chuck Mangione-Feels so Good

Feb 29, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #43 of 50
Hey Mick,

No I was not aware he was from your part of the world. Music lost an extremely talented musician early with him. I have read quite a bit to the idea that he was as much responsible for Bowies sound as Bowie was. I know there is an underated guitarist thread elsewhere here and he belongs in it.

This dates me a bit but I saw Bowie with Mick Ronson when I was about 8 years old with my dad (very ummm...... liberal parents). Needless to say it left quite an impression.

Well I'm listening to another song worthy of 11 this morning, Whipping post by the Allman Brothers. Great Sunday morning after music...

Mar 1, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #44 of 50
Spinal Tap - Big Bottoms

"My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo, I like ta sink her with my pink torpedo.."

biggrin.gif

By the way, my friend's guitar amp goes to 12.

Mar 1, 2004 at 5:15 AM Post #45 of 50
If any of you can listen to ... and you will know us by the trail of dead at a low volume, you have far more patience then i do. Especially source codes and tags

Users who are viewing this thread

Back