Sometimes ya just gotta' crank it to 11
Feb 24, 2004 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Trawlerman

A British ingredient in our rockin' international gumbo.
So what albums do you listen to when you feel the need to crank it to 11?

I have a number of faves but I think the following pretty much do it for me......

Queen - News Of The World. On Vinyl of course
biggrin.gif
The opening bass line to We Will Rock You is strong enough to defeat communist armies. The Brian May guitar solo is just an awesome face-melter.

The Who - 30 years of Maximum R 'n' B. The track I Can't Explain amongst many others rocks harder than most so-called rock bands today.

Elton John - Goodby Yellow Brick Road. Again what an opener! Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is just awesome. Great stuff. Whatever you think of this guy he made some great music.

Billy Idol - Greatest Hits. Pretty much all of Billy Idol's repertoire just crys out to played loud.

Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet. Sympathy For The Devil. Pure evil from the guys who invented the rock and roll swagger. Who else could pull off a song like this?

I could probably think of many other but these Rock MY World. How 'bout you?

Feb 24, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 50
i gotta go with rage against the machine's self titled or crystal method's vegas.

but how many people on this forum do you think are going to get the 11 reference?

Feb 24, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
but how many people on this forum do you think are going to get the 11 reference?

Plenty I would have thought. We're a pretty enlightened bunch. You got it didn't you and you're well out of the age group people who would have been around in that era, myself included.

Feb 24, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 50
Jimi Hendrix - Fire, you just can't play it quietly.

MC5 - Just about anything.

The Clash - Brand New Cadillac

Pat

Feb 24, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 50
What about material you should play at low volumes -- the threshold of hearing? I recall Brian Eno's discreet music was designed to play at very low volumes, and I think Morton Feldman's long pieces work well at very low volumes.

Feb 25, 2004 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 50
Quote:

I know I do, it is one of the funniest parts of on of my favorite movies
biggrin.gif

Anways, I'd say Judas Priest's "Screaming For Vengeance" demands to, well, scream when played. That album is a masterpiece of sheer distorted guitar overdrive
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2004 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 50
J.Hendrix's Voodoo Chile and Pink Floyd's Sorrow comes to mind right now

Stevie ray vaughn, Sepultura, bah too many!
tongue.gif

Feb 25, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 50
Hmm.. the record that I seem to crank all the time is Opeth's Blackwater Park. I love this album and everytime I listen to it, I have to listen to it loud. I, however, always listen to it through speakers if I really crank it because I don't want to hurt my ears.

Feb 25, 2004 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 50
Foghat - I just want to make love to you

Led Zeppelin - How the West was Won

any AC/DC

Feb 25, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Enough I'd imagine, if I know about it I figure most people here would too. This is because I'm one of those sheltered kids who missed out on many valuable cultural references.

As for music, I must blast Ozzy Osbourne, it just has to be done especially when "Crazy Train" come on the radio.

GnR - Appetite for Destruction. I find myself cranking up the volume as the album plays, by the time I get to "Sweet Child O' Mine" I'm at earbleed levels.

Feb 25, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 50
any alkaline trio (that means their first two albums)

outkast - atliens

i don't really enjoy listening to music loudly on my headphone system. i mean for the occasional favorite song i'll give it a few extra db, but in my car is where i do any listening that i would consider "loud" at all.

Feb 25, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #13 of 50
Anything from London Calling by the Clash

5:15 by the Who

Crystal by New Order- love that guitar line in that song.

Hope Youre Feeling Better by Sugar- a 5 minute beautiful wall of noise. Actually the whole beaster CD is that way.

Higher Ground by both Stevie Wonder and Red Hot Chili Peppers

Not Now John- By Pink Floyd Great opening and a very good (though mostly quiet except that song) album

Feb 25, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Plenty I would have thought. We're a pretty enlightened bunch. You got it didn't you and you're well out of the age group people who would have been around in that era, myself included.

this place just makes me feel old sometimes.

yes, i know i'm insane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back