Something to relax with...
Mar 27, 2020 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SlowRacer

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I am looking for a set of headphones that I can relax with that are a good companion to my Focal Elex. These would see use with Movies, Games, and Music but would not need to mobile as they would always stay in one place. I think based on what I have read a pair of LCD-2Cs would do the trick but I am not 100% sure.

I currently own the previously stated Focal Elex which is currently my go to headphone, pretty sure I will never sell these but sometimes I wish I had a more warm and less hyper focused sound. I also own a pair of Sony WH-1000XM3s, love the bass and the more relaxed feel, and AKG 7XXs, LOVE the Soundstage but willing to trade some of that for better overall sound. I have previously owned a pair of 6XXs but the clamp force killed me and I feel the Elex do everything better.

Currently running a DX7s and SP200.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 12
The LCD-2C is a great all-rounder. I don't have any Focals so I can't offer a comparison. I find the big Audezes comfortable but many people do not. That would be about the only downside I could think of at that price point.

Mar 29, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 12
Hmm I don't think I've ever noticed the weight of a headphone I have worn but then again the heaviest would have been the Elexs or the MX3s. Do you find the LCD-2Cs lacking anywhere? How are the dynamics?

I think for the price they're hard to beat, no obvious deficiencies. Good slam, sound very clean across the spectrum.

Mar 29, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 12
I don't know. I got a pair of LCD-3F recently but I don't have much time on them. They're certainly better but they cost more than double what I paid for the 2C.

Mar 29, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 12
Is there a significant jump when going to the LCD2s (fazor or non) or the LCDXs?
It's been awhile since I heard the regular LCD2s, but recall it more wet sounding than the classic (or warmer mids), and probably closer to the 3 due to this. X will have more upper-mids presence than either, so probably cause more dynamics in the more emphasized high frequencies. Better tonal definition up top, but maybe less relaxing sound.

Hifiman X series is relaxing as well. HEXV1, V2, HEXX. Low dynamics as well if you're not looking for hard punching and was laidback dynamics.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #9 of 12
I own LCD-2C and Verum 1, and I recommend the latter over the former. Verum 1 have better vocal timbre, much better timbre for acoustic/natural instruments, clearer midrange, wider soundstage, and better dynamics (volume contrasts.) Other than that, they sound the same. Neither are warm, they don't have elevated upper bass / lower midrange, but they sound relaxed and full-bodied.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I'm using Dekoni Elite Velour pads on LCD-2C (I didn't notice a difference changing to them, though.)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 12
Well I got a really good deal on a pair of LCD2 Classics so we shall see. Also will be picking up a pair of HE4XXs for a phenomenal price so I will have something else to play around with while I shelter in place. Any pad recommendations for the LCD2 Classics. Seems like a lot of people like something other than the stock pads.

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #12 of 12
Stock pads are comfortable, good quality, and sound as intended. No reason to change until they wear out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back