Something to complement my M50s
Feb 2, 2013 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

zephyrre

New Head-Fier
So: a few months ago I purchased the ATH-M50 and am quite satisfied with them. However these headphones have limitations and are best suited for certain genres. I am seeking a headphone in the ~$200 range that will do what the M50 cannot. Specifically an open can with a large soundstage, good mids and not so much treble emphasis. I've been looking at the ATH-AD900 for classical/opera , but am not sure how these would perform for things like folk or acoustic. I'm also a little sceptical of the AD900's lack of bass. Any help or suggestions you guys could offer me would be much appreciated.

P.S. I have the fiio e07k so minor amplification is not a problem. I'll be listening to these at home and leakage/isolation is a non-issue. Thanks again for your help.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 6
I've never personally heard Grados, but from what I've read, they could be what you're looking for.  People really like the mid's and the "lively sound" from all I've read.  I plan on picking up a pair at some point, to see what the fuss is about.  Definitely worth looking into.

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
So: a few months ago I purchased the ATH-M50 and am quite satisfied with them. However these headphones have limitations and are best suited for certain genres. I am seeking a headphone in the ~$200 range that will do what the M50 cannot. Specifically an open can with a large soundstage, good mids and not so much treble emphasis. I've been looking at the ATH-AD900 for classical/opera , but am not sure how these would perform for things like folk or acoustic. I'm also a little sceptical of the AD900's lack of bass. Any help or suggestions you guys could offer me would be much appreciated.

The HD598's will do the job. They can be found for around $250 or less in the US. 

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the replies. HD598 is a little out of my price rang (~$300 here in Canada), I hadn't thought about Grados before, I'll look into them. Maybe see if I can listen to a few.

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 6
Heh, I wish 
frown.gif
. Vancouverite here. Thanks anyway, though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back