Something similar to Gilmore Lite
Aug 7, 2008 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

shleepy

100+ Head-Fier
I am selling (almost sold) my Zero DAC and Meier Headfive, and I need an amp to connect to my Keces DA-151. The catch is that it needs to have RCA-out, along with a 1/4" jack. The only good amp I've seen that matches that description is Gilmore Lite, but I haven't had luck tracking down a used one (and I don't want to spend $400 + shipping for a new one).

So, requirements:

* probably solid-state... I liked my Headfive (and it sounds great with the Keces), but I need the RCA outs
* under $300
* at least one pair of RCA inputs
* at least one pair of RCA outs (to go to powered speakers) and a 1/4" jack

What are some amps that I can look into?

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 9
The Keces 151 I listened to was not punchy or revealing like some others, even cheaper ones, I have listened to. So even a CMoy type headphone amp of less than U$100 would cover your needs. If you are going to use it with your K701 then look for one of the headamps with bass boost.

Aug 7, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do yourself a huge favor, just use a pair of RCA splitters and buy any amp you want.

Won't that negatively affect sound quality? If not, then maybe I should just not sell my Headfive...

Aug 7, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by shleepy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Won't that negatively affect sound quality? If not, then maybe I should just not sell my Headfive...

It will not have worse "negative effects" on sound quality than using an amp with an extra pair of loop out RCAs. What do you think those are anyway? Another plug, some more wire, same thing.
wink.gif

If you want to get super technical, it will depend on the adapter and amp used, but I seriously doubt you'll hear any difference either way. Before asking, no, I cannot provide examples of "good ones" either way, it just doesn't matter enough to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back