Something sexy and cheap? Flush the beats.
Sep 30, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:
Maybe because converting it to digital completely destroys all of the advantages of vinyl...

How? if it's just a Vinyl rip to lossless it should  sound 99% the same as if I'm listening to it on a turn table.

Sep 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:
How? if it's just a Vinyl rip to lossless it should  sound 99% the same as if I'm listening to it on a turn table.

Vinyl has superior sound quality because it is analogue sound. It CANNOT be 100% duplicated digitally, that is physically impossible.

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:
Vinyl has superior sound quality because it is analogue sound. It CANNOT be 100% duplicated digitally, that is physically impossible.

and that's why I didn't say 100%. Also how is Analogue superior to digital scientifically speaking? Yes analogue records as one continues sound and digital does not, but playing a FLAC rip of a WELL MASTERED AND ENCODED CD, versus the vinyl counterpart I can't hear the difference. My point is that's its nearly if not completely physically impossible to distinguish the period of time it takes for digital to tone up and down like you hear on vinyl; it's not a continuous sound but at the same time you cant physically hear that. Would also like to add I'm not really talking about new music as I know that most CD masteres are just plain old bad now a days and they don't remaster for the Vinyl just cut the volume almost in half of the CD master to be pressed onto the record.

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:
and that's why I didn't say 100%. Also how is Analogue superior to digital scientifically speaking?

All sound is analogue, digital is just a means of storing it really. In order to store an exact replication of an analogue sound, you would need an infinite amount of data. 1's and 0's aren't enough to trace the soundwave with exact precision, it can only get close, but there will still always be jagged edges when examined closely enough. Think of it this way, it's about as possible as having a photograph that you can zoom in down to the sub atomic level without losing any resolution.

When you're listening to vinyl rip it completely defeats the purpose of the vinyl vs cd debate... Because then you have a sound that is converted to digital, which will lose some of the quality due to the nature of digital data, and on top of that the flaws of vinyl would come out like the cracks and pops... so CD is obviously going to be superior once converted to digital since it is meant to be stored digitally unless you really like those cracks and pops.

Sep 30, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:
All sound is analogue, digital is just a means of storing it really. In order to store an exact replication of an analogue sound, you would need an infinite amount of data. 1's and 0's aren't enough to trace the soundwave with exact precision, it can only get close, but there will still always be jagged edges when examined closely enough. Think of it this way, it's about as possible as having a photograph that you can zoom in down to the sub atomic level without losing any resolution.

When you're listening to vinyl rip it completely defeats the purpose of the vinyl vs cd debate... Because then you have a sound that is converted to digital, which will lose some of the quality due to the nature of digital data, and on top of that the flaws of vinyl would come out like the cracks and pops... so CD is obviously going to be superior once converted to digital since it is meant to be stored digitally unless you really like those cracks and pops.

Can you hear the said edges in digital though? Can you really hear the fractions of fractions of seconds it takes for a digital recording to switch between tones?
That's exactly what I don't like about Vinyl. The background noise it has; yes it fits with some albums like 'The wall, or really anything by PinkFlody and a select few from Zeppelin. You will have to forgive me if some words are janky right now my keyboard is losing it's mind.

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:
Can you hear the said edges in digital though? Can you really hear the fractions of fractions of seconds it takes for a digital recording to switch between tones?
That's exactly what I don't like about Vinyl. The background noise it has; yes it fits with some albums like 'The wall, or really anything by PinkFlody and a select few from Zeppelin. You will have to forgive me if some words are janky right now my keyboard is losing it's mind.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the switching of tones. The only difference is the smoothness of the soundwave. Although I guess if stuff is happening fast enough it is more easily distorted.

But here's a picture that distinguishes the difference between a digitally stored and an analogue sine wave, it is really the only difference that I know of:

But I personally find vinyl to sound better, yes... Whether that is due to a different sound signature or because the sound quality is actually superior I don't know. When I first listened to a record player I was surprised at how good it sounded, as I was expecting it to sound a lot worse than a CD(I was clueless about the technology behind either at the time). But this is where the debate gets sloppy, and just turns into people's personal claims. I'm just saying from a scientific standpoint pure analogue sound is superior, as digitally stored sound is only trying to represent it the best it can.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:
UE6000 looks sexy and its abit under 200usd

I did mention these earlier, and I certainly concur! It fits the OP's color preference, sounds good and measures good, and shouldn't make everyone around him (or her?) think odd things. The decent noise canceling that would actually make them useable on airplanes is just icing on the cake. (yes CrispyToast, they should be comfortable on long plane rides. They look it, being circum-aural, and Tyll @ Innerfidelity seems to think so...)

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #25 of 32
Though they don't really match your examples, the ATH-ES7/9/10 have always stuck in my mind as good looking, along with the somewhat new Phillips Uptowns. The Incipio F38, AiAiAi TMA-1 and the AKG K81DJ are also pretty nice, not as neat as the above two though.

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #28 of 32
For the love of god, can we stop arguing about turn tables?

Jesus....

I am sorry if I offended anyone for mentioning record players, In my opinion - I don't like the sound. Thats just me. Let me be me.

But when I said that, I didn't care to read a full page worth of debate on the difference between record rips and vinyl sound quality. You both win - I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy....

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #30 of 32
Dude, what you really want ? a headphones that look like good? and u dont care sound quality? if that is all just get siberia of steelseries and worst money. if not so, i would recommend ath-m50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back