Something NEW - HDMI to SPDIF Converter
Nov 1, 2010 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Dynobot

Headphoneus Supremus
HDMI can output 24/192 without a problem, this is something than NO motherboard spdif output can do or any usb that I know of...

Now-a-days many motherboards have a HDMI out, so how about using a HDMI to SPDIF converter instead of a USB to SPDIF converter?

After all HDMI is "made" for audio and video, unlike USB which has only been adapted to serve the needs for audio, but was made for keyboards, printers, cameras, etc.

Like this....HDMI in one side and video out for your computer monitor out the other side "Plus" 24/192 audio out for your Dac.

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 17
Hi Dynobot,

I was in your same situation looking for a HDMI to SPDIF converter, hopping to turn my portable media player with mini-HDMI out to be the ultimate audio transport. I found a "studio" grade HDMI to SPDIF converter like that in your picture, almost pulled the trigger, then remembered asking whether the SPDIF can preserver the DSD, Dolby 5.1, etc information. The seller said no and I realized the converter might not be bit perfect.

Does your coverter advertise as compatible with all the DSD, Dolby formats? If so I am very interested.

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 17

Here is the link
http://us.startech.com/product/HDMI2DVI-HDMI-to-DVI-D-with-SPDIF-Audio-Converter

Quote:
Hi Dynobot,

I was in your same situation looking for a HDMI to SPDIF converter, hopping to turn my portable media player with mini-HDMI out to be the ultimate audio transport. I found a "studio" grade HDMI to SPDIF converter like that in your picture, almost pulled the trigger, then remembered asking whether the SPDIF can preserver the DSD, Dolby 5.1, etc information. The seller said no and I realized the converter might not be bit perfect.

Does your coverter advertise as compatible with all the DSD, Dolby formats? If so I am very interested.

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 17
USD250 is approaching the price of media player with SPDIF out like the Squeeze box already. And it says it is only compatible with HDMI1.1

The one I found 2 months ago costed about USD60. Actually I was thinking of whether to buy the Audio-gd DI or the HDMI-SPDIF converter at that time.

BTW, it also seems that the Audio-gd isn't compatible with the DTS audio and Dolby Digital Format. I pressed the test signal button in Windows 7 and got no sound. So I am not sure whether that is important for the HDMI-SPDIF converter if it is for 2 channel audio purpose.

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 17
Hi. I rescue this old thread with a question about the HDMI to DVI-D Converter with SPDIF Digital Audio.

Have you already tried them? Would they work in a tablet with HDMI output, like the Ainol Novo8?

Now they sell HDMI to VGA + SPDIF converters Ebayon  for $44. Would they be bit-perfect for standard 44000 Hz 16 bit ?

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 17
Mar 21, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 17
I was going to buy one of this HDMI to S/PDIF converters and one Android Tablet, to use it as my music source, but I have read at the specs of the tablets with HDMI output that the tablet screen will be off when HD video is playing. This makes me wonder a very important thing:

Will the Digital Audio through the tablet HDMI output work while you are playing only audio?  [size=small](FLAC files, no video and no external display connected to the HDMI)[/size]

If it doesn't, then Android tablets are absolutely useless for serious music playing, until Google solves the support for External USB DAC.  

Mar 21, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
After all HDMI is "made" for audio and video, unlike USB which has only been adapted to serve the needs for audio, but was made for keyboards, printers, cameras, etc.

I naively posted something along those lines about 2 years ago over at Computer Audiophile, and it was pointed out that the HDMI standard was a camel - a horse designed by a committee - and that audio was a very poor second cousin to video in the design process. 

USB, like any other bus technology, is purely for data transfer - your comment about printers and cameras is less relevant than 'does USB2.x have the transfer speed I need for my DAC ?'. Proprietary drivers can be an issue, granted, but many modern DACs use the drivers provided by the operating system.  Read the list of 'Applications' HDMI was designed for .....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Applications

Also, AFAIK, USB has no support for content protection - HDMI does:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

Personally, I cant understand why a data transfer standard has to include something so intrusive, but I guess thats what happens when you ask a committee to design your horse. If the aforementioned gadget can bypass any such restrictions, so much the better. I'll leave the Sound Science guys to thrash out the issues around jitter rates over SPD/IF. 

Mar 30, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 17
I've heard at the manuals of few Tablets that the screen of the tablet gets blank when the HDMI output is used.

If that is like this, the Tablet will become a useless blind brick if we use it only the S/PDIF output (connected to a DAC, with no viedo monitor). Anyone has experience with this?

Mar 30, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 17
i can only see this being of use in the case of the original 60gig ps3 which comes with the ability to play sacd's, i really couldnt get much more use out of this past that, i already use an m2tech hiface for spdif out to my dac, too little too late i guess

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #14 of 17
Mar 1, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 17
My Android 4.1.1 tablet can be set as HDMI out with tablet display.
So I wonder anyone succeded in Android phone/tablet -> HDMI out -> SPDIF -> DAC -> Headphone?

It will be an another solution for Android's USB DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back