Something like Coldplay?
Apr 18, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #31 of 43
Honestly the new Silverchair album Young Modern is very Coldplayesque imo. Definitely check it out.

Apr 19, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #33 of 43
Trespassers William - better than Coldplay
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to everyone for the recs.
Just to clarfy; I dont necessarily need a band that sounds like Coldplay, but more so writes/plays the same level quality of music.

Melodic rock, whose complexity and depth rivals bands like Radiohead and Coldplay.

BTW: Has anyone heard of Athlete?

Haha -- Athlete was the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread.

Apr 20, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #36 of 43
Belle & Sebastian? Polyphonic Spree? Not extremely similar, but their songs are the type that you can love to sing to.

And for a more relaxed and chill mood, try Sufjan Stevens. I just love to sit back and listen to Sufjan Stevens.

Frou Frou / Imogen Heap is very enjoyable, too.

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #37 of 43
Is there anything out there like The Police? Not just in terms of musical style but in lyrics and mood as well.

Not exactly Coldplay, but didn't think my question deserved its own thread.

Apr 20, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by iKonoKlast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anything out there like The Police? Not just in terms of musical style but in lyrics and mood as well.

I've always kind of likened Pinback to a modern day Police, without quite so much of the white boy reggae sound. Definitely came out more on their excellent "Summer in Abaddon" record. Might take a few listens to really soak in, but they do harken back to earlier times with lots of Police influence in the dark but melodic punk sense. And not too far removed from mid 90s indie like Sunny Day Real Estate, but not as emo-tional sounding. Police meet Modest Mouse with the drummer from Appleseed Cast? But there are still hints of that Three Mile Pilot heritage they share with Black Heart Procession. Still, the first listen might go by without too much really sticking. But a couple more listens and the individual songs all start to blossom and then snake into your brain. Hard to believe that the bulk of this was recorded in a bedroom and a spare room because it sounds so damn good. Very nice mix with lots of great vocal harmonizing and shimmering guitars. Seems like the best thing they've done yet, though I do love "Blue Screen Life" too. Beautiful flow and nearly every song has a lot going for it. Totally love the aggressive "AFK" album closer, with the pounding drums and shout along lyrics that convey the album title in the chorus - kind of like Isaac Brock and company, especially in that megaphone-enhanced backing vocal track...

Release....
Protect. Embrace. Engulf.
Remember the summer in Abaddon.
Protect. Enslave. In love.
Remember the summer in Abaddon.

Apr 20, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #42 of 43
Thanks for all the great suggestions... I'm enjoying all of them! I've had a hard time in the past finding good music from mainstream services like Amazon and Borders. I guess I should browse around Myspace more often.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #43 of 43
Have the OP or iKonoKlast ever tried Pandora? That website is one of teh greatest things known to music-loving-man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back