Something Ive Pondered...
Feb 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

vese

100+ Head-Fier
Has your audio rig changed your taste in music or made you really appreciate a song or group?

For me my rig has REALLY made me appreciate 4 minute warning - Radiohead and Otherside ft fences- Macklemore
I highly recommend both tracks. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 18
Not a whole lot.  Since starting to read on Head-Fi the amount of metal I listen to has decreased even further from an already substantially slowed down level from a few years ago, while the amount of electronic music and jazz has gotten even higher.  That may have happened anyway, I'm not sure.  I've noticed that larger ensemble classical works are much more interesting now, though I'm not yet spending much time with them.  Mostly I just receive more enjoyment and notice much more detail with music I already like.  It's intoxicating to notice never before heard little details in songs that I've been familiar with for years and years.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 18
The amount of classical and oldies has jumped up exponentially from none..to a couple oldies, a couple classicals and just pleasing songs. I have been listening to more rock these days. Rock is a hard genre to play and make it sound good. modern rock especially. i stopped listening to it as the earbuds i had back when i was a non audiophile just sounded weird. i am able to start again now that i have a couple different setups and ability to EQ to my liking. :D
currently loving these songs:
sweet child of mine- never cared for it before
hotel california-never cared before either
flower dance by dj owkanari....wow this song is fantastic. requires an +8dB treble boost and +2dB bass boost ...but is amazing with it
a hymn for tomorrow by alan- shure's make this song sound fanatastic. highs get too hot after a while so i use my ultrasone's with these usually.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #4 of 18
Yes. I use to listen to so much electronica. Then on my T1's it sounded awful, so now I've moved towards things like Sublime(the album Sublime is very well recorded), Van Morrison, and Antonio Jobim. Basically very well recorded oldies. Though the thing that still give me goosebumps is well recorded/mastered electronica (i.e. Daft Punk's first 2 albums, Jon Hopkins, Danger, edIT/Glitch Mob).

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
Yes. I use to listen to so much electronica. Then on my T1's it sounded awful, so now I've moved towards things like Sublime(the album Sublime is very well recorded), Van Morrison, and Antonio Jobim. Basically very well recorded oldies. Though the thing that still give me goosebumps is well recorded/mastered electronica (i.e. Daft Punk's first 2 albums, Jon Hopkins, Danger, edIT/Glitch Mob).

haha you have the SRH840 i see. envious. my SRH440 has been said to be much more analyticalll..... sure...that's cool and great for picking out stuff...but ,......man do they get hot. the vocals just kill you. especially with those really high elongated ones running through a good source, DAC and amp

CD ripped lossless file+Wolfson WM8740+ AD(forgot the pre amp) + AD8397 Opamp +SRH440 = blown ears

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 18

Quote:

Sublime is a hell of an album, I'm a big fan of the group altogether though. I often get goosebumps when listening to a new song or something I haven't heard in a while and I hear something new or really interesting, small things like that make you crave better and better quality.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
Sublime is a hell of an album, I'm a big fan of the group altogether though. I often get goosebumps when listening to a new song or something I haven't heard in a while and I hear something new or really interesting, small things like that make you crave better and better quality.

ill check out the album tmmrw. it sounds very clean and well recorded. i don't really like the spacey sound of the live "around the world" song by daft punk though :/

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
ill check out the album tmmrw. it sounds very clean and well recorded. i don't really like the spacey sound of the live "around the world" song by daft punk though :/

Honestly Sublime and Radiohead blow me away very often when I hit them on a playlist recording-wise and sound-wise. Something  like 4 minute warning gives me goosebumps every time..going to listen to that RIGHT NOW 
dt880smile.png

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Yes, very much so. Usually I cycle between genres quite a bit, but I definitely see my tastes being molded by my audio setup.

Its really good to hear other people are exploring genres because of getting into audio, it happened to me pretty drastically, I went from strictly electronic music and hip hop/rap to enjoying very orchestral music again because of my audio setup.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
Its really good to hear other people are exploring genres because of getting into audio, it happened to me pretty drastically, I went from strictly electronic music and hip hop/rap to enjoying very orchestral music again because of my audio setup.

Before getting into audio, I listened to music sometimes. But now, I listen to music *all* the time. :D
Usually I explore a genre for a few months, then slowly discover another, keeping that for a few months, then another. I sometimes move back to old genres, but a lot of time I move into new ones. My Spotify favorites list is the strangest bloody mix of genres, and I love it!

It's great to hear others are doing something similar, I thought I was just weird.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Before getting into audio, I listened to music sometimes. But now, I listen to music *all* the time. :D
Usually I explore a genre for a few months, then slowly discover another, keeping that for a few months, then another. I sometimes move back to old genres, but a lot of time I move into new ones. My Spotify favorites list is the strangest bloody mix of genres, and I love it!

It's great to hear others are doing something similar, I thought I was just weird.

Thats really similar to what I do except my cycles are much shorter usually..odd,or maybe normal? I hope this thread gets somewhat popular, reading the responses is really intriguing. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:

Yea I only feel the first two albums were amazingly mastered/recorded. The first album was done in their bedroom, so it has that charm of analogue'y garage band music. And half of their second album was very good, while the rest was heavily compressed. I one of my the best recordings I've ever heard is the CD I got from during the christmas gift exhange, Diamond Mine  by King Creosete. Just sounds amazing! 
L3000.gif

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Honestly Sublime and Radiohead blow me away very often when I hit them on a playlist recording-wise and sound-wise. Something  like 4 minute warning gives me goosebumps every time..going to listen to that RIGHT NOW 
dt880smile.png

I'll check out Radiohead tomorrow, I've seen their CD around, just never picked it up, looks good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back