Something happened today, the HD650's sound nice
May 24, 2005 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kunwar

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I have been on record here as one of the louder Senn 650 critics in the last 6 months here on head-fi.
Something happened today.
I have just bought the Furious Angels disc and hit play for the first time today witht he 650's on to see how they would work out with my diff. headphones.

Let's just say I take back half the comments I have made about the 650 namely it being too smooth and non-revealing. I still maintain that the bass could be done better but that I think is because I am used to hearing layered and lean mean bass, not boominess in it.
What is surprising is that the track sounded way better than a set of Dynaudio 7 series which I heard playing this very track at an audio shop's listening room. Better presence, better distance and a pleasing sound. I can live with these. If the HD700(???) that senn brings out nxt can take the bass back 1 step and make it more layered, I wouldnot hesitate to buy it.
These can turn out nicely if certain traits are acceptable.

Kunwar

May 24, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 7
That's why I keep a harem of headphones
biggrin.gif

Seriously, this happens to me all the time, a week of Senn love followed by a week of Grado love, AKG love, etc. At least in terms of sonic signature, my hearing and preferences just seem to cycle through the spectrum. Also, it does partly depend on the specific recording as you've discovered. I think the AKG K340 has probably given me the most consistently enjoyable sound over the last year - even when I'm in a Senn or Grado phase I can still enjoy them thoroughly. I've also consistently liked the K1000 a lot so far, but it's far too early to pass final judgement.

May 24, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
Not really, same as before, dac1 to HD 650 via an SR-71.

Just wondering. I have a pair of HD-650s, and lately I've been playing with swapping cables and amps. Funny how things can affect sound.

Jeffery

May 25, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 7
probably your mood changed.

sometimes my headphones sound like @ss, other times it's audio bliss.

May 25, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

probably your mood changed.

sometimes my headphones sound like @ss, other times it's audio bliss.

Yep that is possible, I was really pissed of at someone. Then again I haven't taken out the K501's for a little while now, So they will come out of the bag today. Let's see what happens then. I have to say that music where the projected soundstage represents a small sized community hall is done quite well with the 650's, When symphonies and larger soundstages are concerned like soundtracks etc. The K1K's crap all over it. But then again they do that to almost every headphone out there if I am not wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back