something better than Pany RP-HT355? $25-250 depending on when I buy
Aug 23, 2008 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pianoplayer88key

100+ Head-Fier
First... a note about the very wide price range... If I buy within the next few weeks, $25 (or maybe $35) would be top price. If I don't buy something till November/December, I'm looking at $200-250 or so then. Hopefully my 1 or 2 pairs of $0.01 earbuds I have left (the other 3 or 4 are now broken) that came with my portable player will last me till then.

For the last few years, I've been using the Panasonics mentioned in the title. For the price, I thought they sounded pretty good, and they're fairly easily driven by portable players like my Creative ZEN 16GB flash-based player (although my cheap earbuds can play noticeably louder). I also liked the in-line volume control. Unfortunately, they are NOT built like the tanks I expect my next set to be. I've gone through about $150 or so worth of those Panasonics over the last few years. (If I'd bought a new pair EVERY time they broke, instead of repairing them several times, that figure would be well over $350-400 or so.) Also, the in-line volume control connections would often break.

I'm hoping, if I get a pair that's, say, $150-250 or so, it will last me at least 5 to 8 years, even if I treat them no better than the Panasonics. That includes, but is not limited to, (note: these are usually accidental, but I'm a total klutz so they DO happen) stepping on them, running over them while on my bicycle, yanking the cable almost hard enough to break a piano string (usually by running full speed into another room while forgetting phones are still attached to me and a well-secured non-portable audio device), among other things.

As far as sound quality... The Panasonics have semi-respectable bass and OK high end, but I did some tests a while back, and my hearing (using sine waves) only goes from about 10-12 Hz to about 15-16 kHz. Would better quality headphones give me more extention at both ends? Also, I don't want a harsh-sounding treble, or a weak-sounding or muddy bass.
At the bass end, I would like clear definition on something like this, which is a C major on an organ that goes from 32Hz down to 8Hz. (Note: the last note may actually be 9.5 Hz - I've played it at higher speed and it's more like an e-flat than a c.) Also, I'd like a well-defined high end (at LEAST up to 15-16kHz, and if my hearing really can go higher with better quality equipment than I've been using, 18-21kHz), with good shimmer/sizzle/whatever you'd call it on cymbals, and brass instruments, for example.

I definitely want good isolation, and so far no headphones under $100 that I have tried come close to what I'm looking for. (I get something fairly close by using my earbuds inside a pair of Peltor H10As - I almost can't hear the lawnmower while my music is playing at a moderate volume, and the gas-powered string weed trimmer is very quite, but audible.) And no, the Sennheiser HD280 when I tried it a couple years ago wasn't good enough.

Most of the music I will be listening to is church type music (not organ music though - the organ sample linked above is only for its bass samples) and classical music, with some pop/rock thrown in. I like bass, but in the form of clearly-defined extremely low notes (octave 0) on a 12-foot grand piano (and yes, one DOES exist which I HAVE played, and "normal" 9-foot concert grands IMO are NO comparison), not the thumping bass of a hip-hop beat.

Also, I'd like something fairly comfortable. I may be wearing these for a few hours at a time, including when working outside on a fairly warm (around 95-105°F not-so-dry (50-65% RH) day. Also, I don't want a small-sounding sound stage. Another thing - a non-coiled cord (or detachable/replaceable) is a requirement. For cord length, if I get canal phones, I could live with about 4 feet or so, but if I get full size headphones, I'd like something more like in the 12 to 15 foot range or so.

Given what I'm looking for, i basically require sealed headphones. I'm wary of noise canceling ones. If I could get a good pair within my price range, should I consider wireless headphones?
Otherwise, I'm trying to decide between canal phones, or full-sized sealed circum-aural headphones. (Is there any reason I should consider a supra-aural headphone? I like the fit of circum-aural phones better, and i believe they provide better isolation.)

I was briefly looking at Headroom to see what they list on their site (cause I happen to like their layout), but I figure you guys here might know of some others I should consider, too. (For example, HR doesn't mention Sony's, and I've heard the V6/7506/7509HD are decent ones.) A few that piqued my interest on HR are (and no, I'm not providing links unless requested):
Shure SE310, q-JAYS, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, Ultrasone PROline 550, beyerdynamic DT 250-80, Sennheiser HD 25-1-II, Ultrasone HFI 580, Etymotic hf2, Etymotic ER-4P, Ultrasone DJ1, Shure SE210, d-JAYS, and a few others under $100.

(notably absent from the list is the Sennheiser HD-280 - I don't like the coiled cord, it doesn't have good enough isolation (at least the unit I tested in Guitar Center a couple years ago), and the bass & treble extension & clarity aren't nearly good enough for me). When I say I want good bass, I do NOT mean a boost in the 100-200 Hz range that's typical on cheap units, I mean a clearly-defined low end centered around 16Hz +/- 2 octaves. When hearing (on the headphones) a recording of 2 adjacent notes played simultaneously at bottom A (or down to bottom C on a Bosendorfer) on the piano, I'd want to be able to clearly hear which note is which, unless the piano is a very small one in poor condition. (on most newer pianos, when heard live, I CAN tell the difference, even on most small ones.)

Also, if you want to recommend an amp, the headphones AND amp need to BOTH be included in my price range. Also, I would want a portable amp - it doesn't have to be as small as an ipod shuffle, but if you can fit an XLR plug on it, it's probably too big.

And, if you suggest something that, if new, is more expensive than my price range, please provide a link to a reputable seller where it can be bought used in my price range (ebay, craigslist, amazon, etc).

Whatever I get, I'd like to be able to buy them at a local store, or at least try them out before I commit to spending my very limited funds. (Local stores include Frys and Guitar Center, just to name a couple.)

Is there anything that'll get me what I'm looking for (good sound quality with a wide clearly-defined frequency range and sound stage, excellent isolation, comfortable for extended periods in hot weather, built like a tank (but not quite a helmet - I don't expect it to protect me if I get a direct hit from a rocket, for example) in the $150-250 range including shipping & tax?

(If something comes up (for example, what I'm currently using breaks) and I have to buy within the next few weeks, I'll of course be (temporarily) lowering my requirements (and price). Comfort would still be an issue, but sound quality and isolation can be declined a bit, and durability can take a small hit. At the low end of the price spectrum, would the Sennheiser MX 560, HD 202, MX 660, EH 150, MX 760, CX300-B, EH 250, Denon AH-C351K be ok?)

Another thing... for those of you that say also get a good amp, besides the fact that I don't want one larger than a typical flash-based mp3 player (like the ipod mini or something like that), which is usually better overall, assuming you're driving it with portable players - $150 headphones + $100 amp, or $250 headphones and no amp? (prices only given as examples - feel free to substitute your own suggestions, so long as the comparisons are equal price as in the above example.)

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 5
So is there anything I should be looking at? In my original post I did name several models that I am considering.

The price range in the title isn't rigid, and yes I'll admit it's an extremely wide price range.

The longer my current $0.01 earbuds can tide me over (to a point) the longer I can save my money to get a better pair. (If I end up needing something within the next couple weeks it'll be hard to spend more than $20-30, but if I can hold off till the holidays or a little later I'm hoping (barring other expenses) to get something in the $200-300 range.

Aug 25, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 5
That is one LOONG post!

I think I have heard others say the DT-250's are built like a tank... Also the Sennheiser HD-25-1's are said to be too.

Best in the $25-35 range are definitely the Koss KSC-75's. Not that durable though.

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #4 of 5
The Sennheiser & Beyerdynamic look interesting.... I wonder where I could go to try one out?

The Koss isn't isolated, though, so it's out. Isolation is a major requirement, as I often operate these with a lot of background noise, I like a 60-90dB or better signal to noise ratio, and I don't like to have to crank the volume up high enough to damage my hearing. (On my Creative Zen in some places, even if I crank everything up to full max volume with the Panasonic RP-HT355, or in some cases with my earbuds (unless I'm wearing some heavy-duty ear protectors from a hardware store over the earbuds) I can't get nearly enough volume to punch through the interference.)

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 5
Probably best if you get IEM's then. The only IEM's I have tried are the Etymotic ER6i's which I LOVE the sound of but they're not that durable. I think the lower-end Ultimate Ear's (super fi 3 perhaps) come with a little metal case which might help them last longer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back