Someone Please Explain To Me
Jan 1, 2016 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

E8ArmyDiver

100+ Head-Fier
why so many of you have several pairs of mid priced cans when you could have 1 pair of upper level.I see so many replies that talk about having different pairs for different sounds but shouldn't an upper tier headphone do pretty much everything right?

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 15
Firstly, I mostly agree with you, BUT, there's a big practical problem, and that is that it's hard to find one pair that is all things to all people.  In fact, it's hard to find one that's perfect for just one person.  Name one pair with a large three dimensional sound stage, with fine granularity, great highs without being sibilant, perfect mids and full impactfull bass without being bloated, no sound leakage, doesn't require an amp and is comfortable and durable.  If you can find one, tell me it's price and then see how many people agree with your assessment.  

There is another side to this as well, and that is that audiophiles, like any hobby, attracts a large share of enthusiasts with ocd tendencies.  Why do some people collect sports cars when they could just save up and get a Veyron?  Why do surfers have more than one board?  For some, it's likely that they got the best pair they could afford initially, then got the bug and started buying more as spare cash came up.  It's not necessarily a min/max game of getting the best you can with the minimum cash outlay for everyone.  For many, I'm sure it's all about the ride.  I have a friend who has probably a couple hundred board games.  Why didn't he just get one really good one?  (hint: he has a lot of really good ones!)

Jan 1, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 15
  why so many of you have several pairs of mid priced cans when you could have 1 pair of upper level.I see so many replies that talk about having different pairs for different sounds but shouldn't an upper tier headphone do pretty much everything right?

There is nothing that is the best at everything. That said I have several headphones and like to listen to all at different times. There are some that are more fun to listen to for different types of music and some that just suit the mood. I have the Ether-C's and are they great for just about everything yes; are they the best on everything no. If I had to pic one of my cans to keep and have to give up everything else I would pic those no doubt about it. The good thing is I don't have to. It is also fun to pic up new things to try out .  

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #4 of 15
For me I have two mid prices headphones hd650 and dt770 pro 250. I need an open and a closed headphone. My wife and I both have out desks in one home office and in our new house that office is off of our great room, so that means isolation is important to me. The open headphones I have because I like the sound signature of open cans more than closed, but I only use them after wife and kids are asleep. But if I was really pick in the midrange I would probably pick few different headphones for various types of music where they excel.

I have just started upgrading to TOTL gear and read reviews compulsively even when you are talking about very expensive gear there are almost always trade offs. Honestly the only can I have read anything on that doesn't mention any really is the LCD-4, but I have not read that many reviews of it and I fully expect some people to find areas where it is lacking for them. Now I will note as the cans get better the trade offs are less but still I don't think there will ever be anything that is perfect for everyone.

Jan 1, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 15

Dont ruin it, thats how we get deals on mint used gear. 
wink_face.gif

Jan 1, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 15
Jan 1, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 15
For me, I used to own 650 and 880 and sold them both to get he-560. It all depends on what you are looking for and which genre and purpose you are going to use it for. Just because everyone else seems to have 2 or more mid cans doesn't me you should also have those too. You can always invest in one flagship (new or used) if it is what you are exactly looking for. That said you will need some experience on finding what your preferred sig is. That's why the headphone market exists to pass on gear to another person witout losing too much :)

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 15

As much as I try to save some people some money, I have to admit that is how I was able to save money 
gs1000.gif

There is no way you can tell how someone hears a certain headphone. 

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 15

Variety is the spice of life.

Jan 1, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 15
  There is no way you can tell how someone hears a certain headphone. 

I meant that sometimes I do tell people to not accumulate too many headphones and just focus on one or two, one with very smooth responsse since none are completely flat. It's just a matter of HD650 smooth with lots of waves or the HE400 which is mostly flat but there's a valley in the midrange.

In any case, of course one can't - the way they wear it can affect the sound (which is also why I explain how I wear my cans, not just what I hear), on top of which the consistency of one's earwax and how tightly they've been packed in can muffle the sound.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 15
Why do some people collect sports cars when they could just save up and get a Veyron?
What a great way to address aesthetics! Some people don't want to have a K1000 (or whatever you consider strange/ugly/etc) hanging off their head, no matter the performance given the cost of those higher end items, and the same can be said about that Bugatti. I'd easily trade a single ugly (obviously my opinion, feel free to disagree) Veyron for a collection of cars of equal value, whether they perform at the same level or not.

While looks aren't going to make it sound better, at the prices of the TOTL stuff, is it wrong to want to be able to enjoy it when it's off your head as well?

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 15
While looks aren't going to make it sound better, at the prices of the TOTL stuff, is it wrong to want to be able to enjoy it when it's off your head as well?

Nope !

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #14 of 15
All of the above.

Also, too lazy to EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back