someone please compare: Superlux HD-662F, HD-681EVO, HD-681F, and all the other Superlux in between.
Apr 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

headfig

New Head-Fier
someone please compare:  Superlux HD-662F, HD-681EVO, HD-681F, and all the other Superlux in between.  And when will the 662EVO be available?  I'm just sitting on the fence on all these. I primarily watch movies on my laptop and listen to classical music.  I don't want too much base because I don't want to ruin my hearing and also because I don't want my ears to get tired, but then that doesn't mean I want an Sennihisner 201 which lacks base either.  I haven't tried any high end cans so I don't know.   I'm also debating if I should get the semi open or non-semi open cans.  I don't think I need two pairs of cans.  The B models are for louder base and the F model is for more clarity?  Please comment only if you've tried them.  I think the audiohipster should do some reviews on these.

Thanks.  and how come I can only have 2 private messages per day on this forum??

Apr 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 17
Hi there, the HD-662F is a very nice closed can, that is flat, works great for tracking and loud environment monitoring,  the 681 EVO, is very impressive, they really smoothed the sibilance, and gave it a thick punchier sound. we still like the original, but the new EVO will find little complaint for the price. 

The HD-681F is really all mid s and highs, the bass is so far in the background ... we have no use for this headphone. 

the 662 nice closed can EQ'd after the DT770 .. it is a keeper and works good for studio tracking. i like it. 

now the B versions seem to sound great and some would lean to liking the soundstage for listening, but i find them too tailored, a hype in the bass esp 100HZ area, and the cymbals can really sound good, but the middle can sound short, don't really have a use for them in the studio. 

We are currently trying to order the HD662 EVO, have no idea when i will here from the US distributor, so we may check with Canada, or China if they are available, we have heard from a NAMM visitor and he was enamored with the 662 EVO ...can't wait to find out. 

Cheers 
[size=medium] Thank You ~ AudioHipster Recording Services[/size]

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
Hi there, the HD-662F is a very nice closed can, that is flat, works great for tracking and loud environment monitoring,  the 681 EVO, is very impressive, they really smoothed the sibilance, and gave it a thick punchier sound. we still like the original, but the new EVO will find little complaint for the price. 

The HD-681F is really all mid s and highs, the bass is so far in the background ... we have no use for this headphone. 

the 662 nice closed can EQ'd after the DT770 .. it is a keeper and works good for studio tracking. i like it. 

now the B versions seem to sound great and some would lean to liking the soundstage for listening, but i find them too tailored, a hype in the bass esp 100HZ area, and the cymbals can really sound good, but the middle can sound short, don't really have a use for them in the studio. 

We are currently trying to order the HD662 EVO, have no idea when i will here from the US distributor, so we may check with Canada, or China if they are available, we have heard from a NAMM visitor and he was enamored with the 662 EVO ...can't wait to find out. 

Cheers 
[size=medium] Thank You ~ AudioHipster Recording Services[/size]

Thanks for the writeup! :)  And also compare these :

Hi2050, HD681EVO, MH463, MH489, EFi-82 MT  :)  I've been digging and digging, but I don't own any.  I want to know about the base, mid, and high.  I'm not a base head, just running this stuff off a laptop.  More for classical music.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
Thanks.  and how come I can only have 2 private messages per day on this forum??

it is a new member policy. After you get a few more posts under your belt you will be able to send a pile of them no worries.

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 17
Hey man haven't spent time with any of the other cans... for classical on a lab top in the person brand i would say 681 , or 681 EVO, for the punchier airy sound. Stay away from any name brand similar priced 50 − 60 $ cans... they'll suck in comparison, and stay away from any headphone that has Dr. in the name or a skull any where near the packaging. 

listing to Michael Hedges Breakfast in the Field LP, thru the EVO smooth as old Kentucky bourbon, i can only think of one thing that sounds better then this...  anywho the 681 has been fantastic for classical. and the EVO ...Oh yea the 2 track MCI JH 110 Michael recorded thru never sounded so good ...happy'land. Cheers     

Apr 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:
Hey man haven't spent time with any of the other cans... for classical on a lab top in the person brand i would say 681 , or 681 EVO, for the punchier airy sound. Stay away from any name brand similar priced 50 − 60 $ cans... they'll suck in comparison, and stay away from any headphone that has Dr. in the name or a skull any where near the packaging. 

listing to Michael Hedges Breakfast in the Field LP, thru the EVO smooth as old Kentucky bourbon, i can only think of one thing that sounds better then this...  anywho the 681 has been fantastic for classical. and the EVO ...Oh yea the 2 track MCI JH 110 Michael recorded thru never sounded so good ...happy'land. Cheers     

Here's a link for you to look though http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-thread/765  ..  that thread is far more active than this one.  and there, people seem to prefer the Hi2050, HD681EVO, MH463, MH489, EFi-82 MT, and that those models might be and most probably hotter than the original 681.  You might research and see if you can are interested in carrying those models as well. :)  and also check out CAL.

Apr 28, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Forget about HD681, if you are listening to classical music.
The HD681 has some emphasise on 3-4 kHz, that doesn't make the classical music sound better.
Go HD668B instead.

May 1, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 17
I've received my 861evo today.  All I will say is that this is my last pair of headsets.  It's certainly better than the sennheiser 201, but I wouldn't say astromonically.  I think the 201 is already a good pair of headset, so to get something that is accurate and neutral, I am at a lost why people would be paying 500$ + .. i would say the margin of improvement becomes slighter as these headsets improve thus, it doesn't make sense to keep on buying headsets.  I'll admit that I've never tried any 500$ headset, but I think I'll drop by best buy and try out their high end stuff, bring this in, and see how it compares.  I'm glad that the bass doesn't thunder.

I have a USB soundcard, and it made a significant difference compared to my laptop.  Music became more crisp and accurate.  I would say going from a usb soundcard from a laptop soundcard contributed greater to the quality of the sound as compared to going from the 201 to 861evo.  The primary difference between the 201 and 861evo is that the sound stage is greater, sounds more crisp, better bass, but not overwhelming.  I went on youtube and would say that when there's a need, this thing rumbles 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b-FEaGJG8Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH_sUK7hJxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaEbHj4iqI4

unbelievably dumb by not protecting the ears:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=qZRy9VaApcw&NR=1

May 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #11 of 17
Hey Thanks, i will have to ck out some of the other models you mentioned,  we have compared a few, and do hear from customers all over the globe,  and the 681 EVO at first listen is just not right, but after some burn in it tightens up and really becomes a very pleasing headphone. why we use and what we have found for studio use,.. in a 50 $ pair of slutz like the 660, & 662. 662F has better isolation, and sound, at the volume we have to have in the studio & that is actually mod worthy. over the 50$ pair of K 77 AKG or say any Sennheiser under the 280, just can't cut it for the volume, clarity (no mud) and iso we need for studio use. Ratsack from AUS came by the studio with his lovely and two kids and one of his kids was showing me his 130$$ pair of Beets, Dra's or Skull poop, one of those overpriced terrible sounding headphones, and when he turned his head the cord would just fall out of jack in the cup.  Well we gave them a 681 & 668B and they were in disbelief at the difference in quality of sound.  We have also ordered some of the more costly China made headphones,  but the drivers could not stand up to the person'z or were not mod worthy at all even those they sounded great. So any new models we would want to offer we send to two design guru's who tears them apart, and gives us the low down...  anywho if anyone know's of a headphone brand worthy we can order straight from the factory, would love to take a listen.  We were planning on trying some of these: http://www.nbmic.com/products.asp?id=111  The HP-M98 already try'ed that one, it did not pass the test ...even thou i liked it.  Cheers Doyen 

May 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Forget about HD681, if you are listening to classical music.
The HD681 has some emphasise on 3-4 kHz, that doesn't make the classical music sound better.
Go HD668B instead.

Don't forget the HD668B has lower volume, better with a good head amp, and does not have the lower sub tones the 681 has, 668B has a smoother top, but the nice smile of the 681 with the ear bleeding highs...  sounds just fine for us older cats who's 40 K is blown all to hell anywayz from standing if front of our Marshall amps for years.  but i would say go with the new 681 EVO better bass and works great with the lower bandwidth Mp3 lower grade audio we are forced to listen too.  Cheers   

May 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
I've received my 861evo today.  All I will say is that this is my last pair of headsets.  It's certainly better than the sennheiser 201, but I wouldn't say astromonically.  I think the 201 is already a good pair of headset, so to get something that is accurate and neutral, I am at a lost why people would be paying 500$ + .. i would say the margin of improvement becomes slighter as these headsets improve thus, it doesn't make sense to keep on buying headsets.  I'll admit that I've never tried any 500$ headset, but I think I'll drop by best buy and try out their high end stuff, bring this in, and see how it compares.  I'm glad that the bass doesn't thunder.

I have a USB soundcard, and it made a significant difference compared to my laptop.  Music became more crisp and accurate.  I would say going from a usb soundcard from a laptop soundcard contributed greater to the quality of the sound as compared to going from the 201 to 861evo.  The primary difference between the 201 and 861evo is that the sound stage is greater, sounds more crisp, better bass, but not overwhelming.  I went on youtube and would say that when there's a need, this thing rumbles 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b-FEaGJG8Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH_sUK7hJxE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaEbHj4iqI4

unbelievably dumb by not protecting the ears:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=qZRy9VaApcw&NR=1

Did you compare with any from Best Buy?

May 10, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 17
update#1 to what I wrote below:  after folding half the inner black felt, I found that "Selena Gomez & The Scene - Naturally" sounded a bit too sparkly.  Maybe this is what people complained about in the original 681.  I would say maybe open the inner felt 1/3 only or find a thinner felt.  I am not sure if the driver in the 681evo is the same as the original 681.  I must admit that I can feel my inner ear hears move to the high vibration .. I must admit, once modded, ears get a little sore from not getting use to the sparkly highs.  I guess I have some getting use to because this headset is very accurate, sparkly, and enough bass where I need some adjusting to get use to because it's a bit too stimulating!  Okay, going back to only have a 1/3 opening on the upper half quadrant. on the inner felt.

update#2 to what I wrote below:   man, the 681evo sound stage is much larger than the hd201.  day and night even with the 1/2 folded inner black felt.  hd201 sounds closed and a little muddy in comparison once the 681evo is opened.  I couldn't appreciate the 681evo as much only until I listened to some sucky classical opera music which sounded closed and mids reccessed, and that's when I decided to open the 681evo half way.  Going to mod it again for 1/3.  The HD201 has tigher bass while the 681evo has a richer, more depth to the bass, which my sensitive ears need to get use to.   When listening to the 201 on "Selena Gomez & The Scene - Naturally" I would say the 201 has enough bass for me... a bit tight though.  okay, ears hurt from over stimulation of my hears from both headsets!  A amp did make a big difference.

update#3 to what I wrote below:  I think thinner inner felts would be better than to cover half the headset with felt.  Even with 1/3 felt opening, it's still too bright.  Now I understand what people mean by the original 681 being too bright.

conclusion:  I'm happy with the 681evo.  In my opinion, it is important to get headsets that are as neutral as possible so that you hear the music as intended by the producers!  That's the whole point right?  And also look for headset that has a large sound stage, more depth.  Then if there's a need, pump up the equalizers to your taste.  I would say that so long as the headset is neutral, yet has the capability to respond to any frequency that the producer intends, that's all I ever ask for.  Once you find that pair of headset (without spending a whole lot of $$), leave the forum, get a life, and break the habbit of lusting over set of cans!  It's not only the amount of $$ you guys will be spending, but also the enormous amount of time!  Check out this guy's review and draw your own conclusion as to why he left the forum:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/superlux-hd-681/reviews/8473   The user I'm referring to is Sonichedgehog360.  I'll return once I test this headset against the more expensive ones at Best Buy.  In regards to gears, if I have to spend the money, I would limit my money on headset but spend a little more on a stereo system because there is a difference to watching moves with subwoofers vs. an expensive headset!   I dunno, but I'm happy with watching movies over my laptop and hooking it to external speakers.  At some point, I think you guys need to know when to quit.  This audiophile thing is just getting ridiculous!

Anyway, here's something to laugh over.. I promise.. the guy's facial expression makes me laugh hehe.. this is crazy.. I will never do this to my ears:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=6QXVKlUvA9g&feature=endscreen

----

I didn't get a chance to go to Best Buy yet, but I will after my finals.  Right now I did a little mod to the 681evo open up the highs a bit.  I noticed the 201 is clearer than the 681evo without mod when listening to classical music.  However, after I opened up the 681evo (very easy), I pulled half of the inner black felt and folded it in half closed it back with the outter felt, the highs opened right up, more clear than the 201.  I have not tried to take off the whole inner black felt because it might be too high, but after listening to some not so good recordings on youtube, that's when I noticed that opening up half the inner black felt (lightly glued) made a BIG difference.  Also, I am using valor pads on this thing, so don't know how the original felt.  I stretched the metal band a little and it's very comfortable...no sweat, not hot. Though I have not tried any other high end headsets at this time, I can say I'm very happy with it.  It's more comfortable than the 201.  I have not modded the 201.  The main difference between the 201 and 681EVO is the expanded sound stage, cleaner (once 681EVO is opened up half way), and definitely more pleasant bass.  It's very nice.  Know that I use a cheap USB amp that made it a HUGE difference compared to bear laptop output.  The laptop sounded muddy without the amp, which I've never realized until now.  I have not tried this on a desktop PC which definitely by default have more power for the audio out.  Either way, I just don't see why anybody would pay for more than $50 or so for a headset.. the 681EVO is good enough.  I really believe in having a natural headset cuz if you really want more, than boost the equilizers, so long as the headset it self is able to drive to those highs and lows.  I just don't get why people buy the really high end stuff.  I guess I'll find out when I visit Best Buy :)  I'll be sure to report back.  The more I think about it, the more I believe that you guys should stop wasting your time on this forum once you've found a really good headset and stop the addiction!  Seriously, though I'm a newbie, I was sucked in reading for the best bang for the buck and I was lusting for those sets of cans :)  Yes, sluts are hot, sexy, and yummy.  I don't mind having a clean virgin person, and that's exactly what I got, so to speak. :wink:

I got to say, I like the 201 too....just wish the soundstage was wider and a little more bass.  Maybe it can be modded.. don't know.  the 201 can be had on sale for $5 to 12 dollars!  Got it for about $5 on black friday without a rebate, and it it for about $12 for a few months back.  I keep mentioning the Seinheizer hd201 because it's damn cheap once on sale and it's a really big bang for the buck.  The headband is also a little tight on the 201, which I can mod with a heat gun.. I'm very curious about opening up the sound stage of the hd201 and to get the bass up just a little, but all that isn't worth the time.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/122358/modding-the-sennheiser-hd201
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579623/sennheiser-hd201-bluetack-mod-to-made-headphones-louder-and-better

Here's the thing about modding -- I wouldn't do it if it takes time and risk.. it's just not worth it.  The 861evo is very easy to mod.  I like the 201 due to the performance / price ratio..cuz things do break.  My heart will sink if I have have a $50+ headset break on me.  I had a HD202 (was it??) many years back, which I bought for $40?? about 7 years back??.. one of the speakers died (not a wire problem) after 1 year of usage, and it was painful cuz I just can't afford buying more of these stuff, and that's why I was thrilled to the 201 for $5 and $12 :)

The other thing I love about the 681evo is that if there's ever accidental yank on the cable, the cable comes out of the short extension so that my cable will never get damaged.  it's a very nice  feature!

May 10, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
someone please compare:  Superlux HD-662F, HD-681EVO, HD-681F, and all the other Superlux in between.  And when will the 662EVO be available?  I'm just sitting on the fence on all these. I primarily watch movies on my laptop and listen to classical music.  I don't want too much base because I don't want to ruin my hearing and also because I don't want my ears to get tired, but then that doesn't mean I want an Sennihisner 201 which lacks base either.  I haven't tried any high end cans so I don't know.   I'm also debating if I should get the semi open or non-semi open cans.  I don't think I need two pairs of cans.  The B models are for louder base and the F model is for more clarity?  Please comment only if you've tried them.  I think the audiohipster should do some reviews on these.

Forget Superlux and just get the JVC HA-S400 for around $25+. I have the 681EVO and the 661 and pretty much destroys it both. That cheap JVC completely ruined any hope of me buying anymore headphones in the foreseeable  future lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back