Someone here sold me broken IEMs, what can I do?
Apr 11, 2013 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DevilsRightHand

Head-Fier
A week ago, I bought a set of UM3x on the forum here at Head-Fi. http://www.head-fi.org/t/637509/fs-um3x-rc

The earphones are stated as in great condition. As soon as I opened up the box, I knew something was wrong. There is a rattle in the left earpiece and plugged into my DAP, the earpiece is dead.

The guy has +12 feedback with all very good comments. I paid via Paypal and NOT gift, so I know I should get paypals buyer protection. But Paypal will probably tell me to return the IEM to get a refund but how can I trust the guy to refund or that he won't just say he never got them back.

Does anyone know how it works and how much it costs to have Westone repair them or do you know a better place to get these fixed.

Please help!

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 14
Use "item not as described" in PayPal and get your money back first.  It may take a few weeks, but at least you will have the money.  PayPal can force the seller to pay you back.  You will then send the defective merchandise back.

I hardly every buy used anymore because it is always a hassle.  Unless you can audition it first I suggest sticking with new and getting a good warranty.

My rule of thumb is to assume that the seller is getting rid of the unit because they either broke it, it was damaged when it arrived, or they really do not like it which are all reasons you may have the same issue.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 14
I guess you're right. The deal is not worth the hassel. Getting the money back first by paypal would reasure me to not get screwed further by sending the iems back and be left out with no money and no earphones.

Now the guy is saying that they were working when he snt them but that's bull. Its not a defect that could have been caused by the transit.

Head-fi's Sell/Trade forum is over for me, never again.

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 14
I have had very good luck buying used. Have you actually contacted the seller and informed him of the problem? You might be surprised - he might just refund the money without you having to contact Paypal. I think you need to give the seller a chance to make it right before you go all commando on them - some people actually do have excuses - the most common is "I haven't listened to those in months and they worked the last time I tried them." Which is lame, but I don't really care what excuse they give as long as they make it right.

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 14
I'm actually in dispute on paypal with him. I have now learned that he had bought them used on head-fi when he said the phones had 15 hours of head time. Seller told me I should have inquired if he bought them new or used. Now he wants to review the iems before issuing the refund. The whole thing doesn't feel right.
This is going to be hell.

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 14
Pretty much do what others have suggested, the guy that you bought them from sounds like a rat especially for saying they have less than 15 hours which implies he bought them new and that he has only used them for that amount and that not mention that he was the 2nd buyer. The likely scenario is that he bought them, they broke and he couldn't get them replaced because he was the 2nd buyer and he tried to sell them off and just blame the shipping service when they arrived.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
Pretty much do what others have suggested, the guy that you bought them from sounds like a rat especially for saying they have less than 15 hours which implies he bought them new and that he has only used them for that amount and that not mention that he was the 2nd buyer. The likely scenario is that he bought them, they broke and he couldn't get them replaced because he was the 2nd buyer and he tried to sell them off and just blame the shipping service when they arrived.

I feel you sized up the situation pretty well.

Does anyone know if the insurance the seller paid would refund the seller and then he could refund me?

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #8 of 14
Sounds like you got a bum rap. Unfortunately, when you buy used you only have so much to go on. The word of the seller and the pictures, although pictures can be deceiving. It is quite unfortunate though, I have had nothing but good luck with used sales, and have sold countless used units with all positive responses. The guy that sold you those IEMs is ruining the used market for the rest of us honest sellers. 

I would create a PayPal dispute, and contact the seller. If he gives you a BS story, just proceed through proper channels till you receive your money. You should be covered for damaged goods, through the insurance PP provides.

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 14
Well, here's an update on the situation:

We have reached some sort of agreement. Long story short, he refunded me 125$, that I'll use to have the UM3x RC repaired (hoping to have them replaced).  Since I had trust issues with the seller, I didn't feel safe returning the phones, fearing ending up out 250$ and absolutly nothing to show for it.  Plus I didn't really know how paypal would handle the issue since, last time I used Paypal's Resolution Center, they ruled I had to return the item to the seller, in China, on my dime and it would've cost me twice the value of the item.

So now, I have my RMA number for Westone to evaluate the repair costs and I'm hoping 125$ will cover it. I heard stories of people getting their phones replaced for a brand new set for a "small" fee or some even for free.

I'll post the full conversation pretty much from start (here) to finish (Paypal's Resolution Center). Maybe my experience might help someone.

I'll also follow this with a thread on Westones post-warranty repair process for the UM3X RC with it's rattle and the dead left earpiece.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and support and,

to be continued...

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
You may want to leave him a feedback so that people here would know what happened in this transaction.

yep, that definitely sounds like what the op should do, no one wants that to happen to them when they buy. this thread is also the reason why i buy every gear brand new, its sad how we cant trust each other in this world

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
You may want to leave him a feedback so that people here would know what happened in this transaction.

Quote:

yep, that definitely sounds like what the op should do, no one wants that to happen to them when they buy. this thread is also the reason why i buy every gear brand new, its sad how we cant trust each other in this world

Of course, it goes with out saying but the seller has not yet posted mine neither. So, if I leave a negative but truthful feedback, I'm pretty sure he'll post a negative one for me too.    

That's what doesn't work with the feedback system.  The seller should have to post a feedback to the buyer as soon as the payment is received or once the item is mailed, in order to prevent retaliatory negative feedback post. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 14
Of course, it goes with out saying but the seller has not yet posted mine neither. So, if I leave a negative but truthful feedback, I'm pretty sure he'll post a negative one for me too.    

That's what doesn't work with the feedback system.  The seller should have to post a feedback to the buyer as soon as the payment is received or once the item is mailed, in order to prevent retaliatory negative feedback post. 

If you are not selling it wouldn't matter. Just make sure to state that you are the buyer on the negative feedback and if he tries to retaliate, just post another feedback about that. Of course make sure you get your iem fixed, that's the priority

Users who are viewing this thread

Back