Some wisdom talk
Jul 26, 2007 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ooztuncer

500+ Head-Fier
I am having some difficulty to decide what to buy/when to buy. Perhaps some wisdom talk will help me to overcome my impatience; or perhaps conversely help me to spend money easily - you know the dilemma!

Currently I have relatively limited budget - around $1-$1.2k & I have already decided to build a system around my HD650.

I tried grado's, beyer's, akg's, sony's but for my taste I really like the warm, liquid but fuller sound coming from the HD650. It is not doing anything extreme but I enjoy listening to music with them.

First, let me tell you my dream system(s) (edit: dream = ideal) :

System A:
Cec TL51X
Electrocompaniet ECD-1
Rudistor NX-33
Balanced equinox cable > HD650

System B:
Northstar M 192 Transport & Dac (IS2 connection, almost jitter free, but no balanced outs hence the rudistor)
Rudistor NX-33
Balanced equinox cable > HD650

I believe system B will be more smooth and liquid than system A. Can you think of any other differences between them? I really appreciate the comments from the owners of these parts.

Now, here I need your wisdow talk - should I buy my dream pieces step by step in the next 4 to 6 months period OR with my current budget should I get let's say a grace m902, opera, or lavry and be happy with it until I have more $$ to invest (my current source is Philips DVP642 which I bought for $50)?

Thanks in advance,
-Ooz

Jul 26, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 9
You could say anything about a system in theory. In practice, it may or may not be your dream system. I wouldn't buy one expensive piece at a time. What's the use of a great amp or source if the rest of the system is subpar? Plus your dream system will change as you learn and hear more components. It's definitely good to concentrate on one headphone and build a system around that. I recommend starting off with an all in one Dac/amp. One of those has the potential for great musical satisfaction with the 650. You can buy one used and sell it at a later time without losing much money.

Jul 26, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 9
You could skip that Electrocompaniet DAC and get the CEC TL-51XR instead (which costs about $500 more), which comes with balanced outputs. For what reason do you want to separate the transport from the DAC? You're probably already aware of the well-known belt-drive transport used in the TL-51X/R but that doesn't mean you should discount the integrated DAC section on the R model.
wink.gif

In any case, I think you should take one upgrade at a time, that will allow you to hear the effect of each component that you add/replace. Slow and calculated moves always work out better than mass sprees.

Jul 26, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 9
Very good points - even tough they are somewhat opposite.

Canman, I can see your point - try different parts, learn their characteristics, compare pros-cons, enjoy, then sell if I don't like it - which by the way I have been doing for years. My biggest problem with that method is not observing/experiencing the full capability of specific parts, especially if other gear in the system is sub par.

For instance, I bought a denon 3910 as my source and my ears could easily tell the difference between the dvp642 and the 3910. In the end, I sold the unit to try another one. However, I bet with a better dac and amp, my listening experience would be different - probably better. My point is without setting up a system from A to Z, how am I going to compare one part from other.

That's why this time I would like to plan something up front, stick with that plan, and experience the full potential of the system. The problem is I can't buy the whole system at the same time. Perhaps I can buy a good transport + dac for $2k and use it for 3 months without an amp (or with my receiver, etc.). Then buy the amp and wait another month to buy the balanced cables - very painful
smily_headphones1.gif

Still, my tendency is to buy pieces one by one and observe how they are responding to new gear as Asr mentioned. On the other hand, the idea of having something that I can use everyday without checking bank account for the next upgrade is really nice!

And, for the components that I selected, especially the cec transport/cd player, I know that R version have the dual mono 1796 burr brown dac chips, which I believe present more detail then the Northstar. I chose the transport only version (for cec) because I was thinking about the ECD1 for a long time. I listened a setup around HD650 with ECD1 and it was heavenly! I feel good about cec's transports but not certain about their integrated dac solution. And for the northstar combo, I couldn't find one bad comment over the internet! - it is very attractive given that I would like to setup a liquid, smooth, analog-like sounding system.

In any case, please throw your ideas to the table. It is always good to hear different opinions.

EDIT: I am changing some words and sentences to make them more clear, please forgive my English.

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 9
I think your first decision, the HD650, is a solid one. I sorta agree with Asr -- go one good component at a time. I'd next opt for the Rudistor NX-33 balanced amp. If you don't have a balanced cable, that should be a simultaneous purchase. The Equinox should be fine. With this amp and HP as your base, you could get a lot of very good SQ out of low-to-mid level sources/transports. Also, with HP and amp constant, you could begin to test additional components for synergy. This process will work because you can have confidence in your basic HP and amp. And you can take your time. Still, the initial outlay is quite a bit, but if you could swing it . . .

Jul 27, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 9
I would buy the HD650's and the Opera now, and enjoy it for a while knowing that you will eventually move on up. Buy your source upgrades next. Get the amp and the balanced cable at the end and you can always sell the Opera to help fund that final piece.

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd next opt for the Rudistor NX-33 balanced amp. If you don't have a balanced cable, that should be a simultaneous purchase. The Equinox should be fine.

I concur. I would think very carefully about acquiring the ZU MOBIUS headphone cable, however. Makes the HD650s sound almost magical.

Jul 27, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 9
Why not get a Headroom Desktop balanced with the built-in DAC.

It's not the be-all, end-all system, but it's economical in size and price, you get decent performance out of it, and then you can take the time you need to evaluate other components.

Jul 27, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks again for the replies. It is really interesting to see different approaches.

I think I made up my mind: this time I am not buying something that I will sell within 4 months to upgrade. This time, I am buying piece by piece the equipment that I want eventually.

Back to components, how many options do I have for a balanced amp under $1.5k: headroom desktop balanced, perhaps gs-x, square wave, nx-33, gilmore xlr, perhaps a beta 22 (doubt it).

Upon those, my preference would be NX-33 - not only for its sound but also for its nice splitter (se to balance).

Cable is going to be equinox or zu mobius. I already own the HD650's...

I am still in between cec+ecd1 against northstar m192 combo though.

And for what to buy in my first batch is confusing. I was thinking about the source initially but amp+cable seems more logical.

Thanks one more time!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back