Some thoughts I have been having,(controversy involving grado inside)Opinions please!
Sep 30, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #31 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
The DT880 puts any grado to shame and it is better built overall. Support Grado cus it is made in the USA? I'd rather support Etymotics!

I'd beg to differ on that as would I bet alot of Head-Fi members especially with the high end Grados.

Sep 30, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #32 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
This issue was brought up for the first interview but was ignored because of some strange "Grado can do no wrong" attitude, as if criticism is inherently evil.

$200 headphones using hot-glue are unacceptable, I don't care how small your company is. The effort that goes into build quality is atrocious, but there isn't much market force to change it.

jesse

Thanks jesse, I think this is what needs to be said. I own Both the HD650's and The SR325's so you can't say i'm a sennheiser fanboy or anything. In the past I've also owned the sr80's on both sets of grado's I've had the buttons that sit on the mesh fall off. The mesh on the sr325's wasn't cut to fit the housing very well so it sits in the houseing with a noticable concave indentation. The headband on the 325's are stiched poorly and at two points there is a bit of string sticking out. The cables are durable but because the cups rotate 360 degrees the cables frequently start to twist together which is very anoying. the mini jack on them are so big, bulky and unflexable that they have put 2 DAP headphone jacks out of comision.

Grado isn't that small anymore, not like they were 6 years ago and thier fan base keeps growing. They can afford to address some of these problems in my opinoin, i'm sure that they just don't yet see a need to yet. I've writen to them about it and I say that if you like grado's sound then you sould write them a polite letter expressing your concerns with thier manufacturing problems.

Again i'm not angry at grado and I don't hate them at all. I just feel that they should have already addressed thes issues and that people stick up for them as if theu where some kind of underdog doin' what they can is absurd.

Sep 30, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #33 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
All Grados are hand made 1 at a time by human beings. As such there will be cosmetic variances from unit to unit.

Grado is competing with Giant Companies. It's the only domestically produced headphone. We need to support them or they can and will go overseas to save manufacturing costs or just close shop and put and end to all the whining.

To each their own but I've had 5 Pair of Grados RS-1, HP-2, RS-1, RS-1 and the PS-1. The build quality was excellent, the sound was excellent and I will be buying a pair of HF-1's to support a great company and a great forum.

I challenge anyone who thinks they can do better to step up to the plate and show Grado how to do it right, here in America while letting their employees earn a living wage. New York or the Tri-State area is not an inexpensive place to live and work.

Otherwise give the man some credit and show some respect for running a unique company in a difficult market and Succeeding!! That’s the American Dream and John Grado is living it by his actions and deeds.

Mitch

Is it just me, or did you list the RS-1's 3 times?
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #34 of 144
I think its all been said already. Firstly of all, a lot of people would rather buy a product in a cardboard box. Why pay for fancy trash.

Secondly, for some people Grados are just the best sounding headphones (to them) at their price level. If its the BEST sounding headphone you can afford (in your opinion) and if sound quality is what matters to you, then who gives a damn about whether the headband is pleather or marshmallow. Heck if I liked how a set of headphones sounded enough I would wrap them in duct tape and wool socks if that was more comfy.

Lastly, lots of people find the build quality to be fine on Grados. I have no complaints. I like foam pads (I have the original flats). I don't care if the cups are wood or metal or plastic, because I care about sound not looks, and plus plastic is lightweight. The plastic headband is not something I really notice when its on my head, I mean its not like my hair has nerves or anything.

I have owned my Grados for about 5 years and they get tons of abuse and use, and they are holding up just fine.

Now I am thinking of buying another set.

Sep 30, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #35 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by kdread
Heck if I liked how a set of headphones sounded enough I would wrap them in duct tape and wool socks if that was more comfy.

Wool socks you say?
grado_mod10.jpg

Sep 30, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #37 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
It's too bad you couldn't have a hybrid... Grado PS-1 sound (from what I hear) and HD590 comfort (the most comfortable cans I've worn).

I think for the price they should be more comfortable just given the fact that so many send them to Headphile for a low cost comfort upgrade but we are paying for sound and while comfort and appearance factors may play their rolls it really boils down to SQ. There is also alot to be said for "Made In The USA By Hand"

CD3000 is regarded as the most comfortable headphones made. That's why Larry uses these as the basis for his hybrids...

Sep 30, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #38 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1967cutlass
I disagree. HD580, DT-990's, ATH-A900's for example are built better than sr-225's and have subjectively comparable sound quality.

You're free to disagree. That's why there's a marketplace. The only company making phones that sound like grados is grado...

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #39 of 144
I own only the SR-60 at this point of time and I am positive that I will not purchase any other headphone in the Grado lineup. My reasons are simple.

* The SR-60 gives me as much "enjoyment" as I perceived with the PS1/RS1 for a lower cost.

* The SR-60's price is commensurate with it's performance IMO

* The cosmetics of the SR-60 guarantee me entry into "geek" territory
tongue.gif

I can see the point you are trying to make and I agree with you. However - I dont think you should be educating people about how they should be spending their money. That is a decision for them to make on their own. I think they have earned the right to think for themselves without decisions being shoved down their throats.

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #40 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
It's too bad you couldn't have a hybrid... Grado PS-1 sound (from what I hear) and HD590 comfort (the most comfortable cans I've worn).

...its called the PS3000

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #41 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I really have no idea why John Grado and Joe Grado put so little thought into build quality or ergonomics.

I think their business model is anathema to what most businesses follow today.

-Matt

I understand the argument about the build quality of current grados (including the pizza box they come in) but have you ever seen an HP1/2/3? The build quality on the HP series is superior to pretty much any headphone in existance.

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:19 AM Post #42 of 144
I think its awsome how simple grado products are. I am so sick of all the space aged ******** plastic ergonomic swirly girly meangless techno didly crap looks that a lot of headphone companies and companies that make tons of other products are resorting too.

What are we going to do now to make our headphones sell better?
lets add a big reflective glob!

NO!

with grado, its just those things that are needed to keep the drivers up against your ears. they are designed the way headphones were first made, way back in the day. i think this is great. simplicity. you guys ever stop to think why you want a wooden box? so that when you get them in the mail you can say "oooh, ahhh"?

in the time you all have spent complaining about the lack of a wooden box, you could have made enough wooden boxes to shut everyone up!

EDIT: im not mad, and i dont really care alll that much. im just trying to make a point.
tongue.gif

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #43 of 144
If john felt like he needed to do something different to maintain his company, I'm sure he would. As it is, I'm happy with what he's done, and don't mind spending a few extra dollars tweaking them.

Oct 1, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #44 of 144
You claim that John doesn't listen to us. Well then,
Why hasn't Senn,AKG, etc. stepped up with a limited Head-Fi only headphone?
It seems to me that Mr. Grado knows what he is doing, running his business.

Oct 1, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #45 of 144
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils
I think its awsome how simple grado products are. I am so sick of all the space aged ******** plastic ergonomic swirly girly meangless techno didly crap

Grado unique sound and cool true retro, I like it. Flaws... sure, they are how they are till they're made different which may or may not ever be. Buy them, wait till they change then buy them or spend elsewhere. Class dismissed...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back