Some thought about Beyer DT990...a biref review
Jul 1, 2009 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

donthuang

500+ Head-Fier
In short, I believe DT990 is a hard-to-run-in headphone, but not a equipment monster like AKG K701 .

I am a beyerdynamic fan, listen 990 in the local deals shop and local meeting many times,but it's not very good experience, they are even not run-in at all, nor the driver have enough movement. the sound are terrible dry and thin, is this really the "true sound" of beyerdynamic's flagship headphone? I don't think so,so i buy one pair to try, and finally can writing something about it.

My DT990(250ohm) is about six-month old, 1500hours, the source is Benchmark DAC1(the gain jumper set to -0dBu),headphone amp is DA&T AMTECH HA-1 ,that is a pure class-A, strong current output soild stage headphone amp,made in taiwan.

About the Sound-field, i don't describe this in the way of "bigger than A"
or "more wide, less deep than B" , just an overwhelming " full-scaled" feeling* different to DT880 、K701 and HD650, with the impact like the music just with the air blow to your face─strong, but not brunt. The proportion of instruments size not very accurate,but i believe the soundimage size is more matter to a headphone,Listen DT990 really lke listen one pair of mini panel speaker in near-field range, just see one big "screen" in front of your face, when i watch anime or movie over my 19' computer screen, the "sound" is also come from the ""screen" , it's not the "transparent" sound-field that you can easy ""location" several things in empty background, like SA5000 or K701, but is a full ""soundscape" in the front of .

*this feeling maybe can translate to "very big headstage" ,typical diffused-filed equalization sound(both L/R driver semi "out of phase") , but have some "Bipolar-speaker like" signature i guess.the headstage of DT990 really big. But after all, it's stll "headstage" , that the "stage" lack one axis.

Tonal balance is the least you should expect to an "flagship" class headphone,but DT990 is strange infamous at this point, many people describe as "simile curve" or "recessed mid" , I am confident that this problem is just the problem of run-in time,Although the time of "run-in" is damn long to me,but i think it's worth to spent 1000 hours to a flagship headphone.

Beyer's official web site use those term to describe the sound of DT990:"Strong bass and treble" Yes, that's how DT990 really different to other headphones.

The amount of "air" that the headphone's diaphragm push never enough, so headphone's Manufacturers in the world always look for bigger , lesser weight, and more distortion-free diaphragm , i dont konw many about the beyer's "mylar diaphragm - paper baffle construction" but seems it doing very well in bass amount and treble distortion balance, 990's highs not as sparkle as 880, not extended as HD650 , but more "solid" than the two headphone, the lower treble/upper mids neither bright as K701, nor darkness as HD650, just "colorless" , makes the constrution of overtone more definition.

Mid in DT990 is more like a Myst than "good or bad" dichotomy , with different amp, different set, you may get two kind very different sound, smooth, cohesion and lush mid close HD650 side ,or clear, raw, PraT mid close to Grado, but to my best experience, DT990's mid would have some "electrostatic headphone like" features , or "more grain-free, slower decay sound" , all right, i think many people may consider this as a Arabian Nights-like story, forget it.

Bass, Bass of the headphone design is somehow like a problem of metaphysics, it's an question of "how to make we feel like hearing true bass" , not "how to product real true bass"

DT990's bass is very good, Maybe is the best of i ever "hearing" in headphone system. although the bass of dt990 can not shock your floor, but very close to natural hearing (in a regular speaker system), hd650 doing this well, but DT990 Better.

I am not a "basshead" , but i must to clarify something about the "beyer-bass heavy" Myst, Those "bass- reflex" beyerdynamic headphones(DT770/DT990) very easy lose control in "upper-bass" section, and many people like this unnatural bump ,but this is not really good quality bass a serious audio connoisseur would seek for.

Yes, the "bass- reflex" beyerdynamic headphone can produce really good quality bass, maybe not as clear as K701, but very balance in the "amount" and "quality" , HIFI or HIEND system expect for the good bass because good bass will enchant the mids, not because they like watch movies or they are "Basshead". Really good bass production will make mid more rich, more presence, and more natural.

Finally , some questions of DT990, i must say DT990's MID-BASS reproduction sometime "unstable", seems like beyer's engineer not fully fix the damper problems of DT990 , the same system, but the sound not always the same, after run-in, just more "stable", but still not perfect......maybe the 600 ohm ver. DT990 would do better in this. Even so, I still like my dt990.

dsc01817xi.jpg

Jul 1, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #2 of 15
1500H burn-in sounds pretty far-fetched, they should have sounded pretty good after just 100h. A common problem among loudspeaker builders is that they build a colored loudspeaker. Then they are listening to them and getting used to the colored sound and makes that their reference. And when they are listening to a normal loudspeaker without that coloration it will sound bad to them.

Or just try a pair of simple in-ear, they will sound the worst in the beginning. But after a while they will sound better (still not good, but better).

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #3 of 15
errr. i dont know much about the "colored" you mean, Sonus faber get sonus faber's timbre, AVALON get AVALON's timbre, i dont think that is an "right or wrong" question, but more like an Aesthetic or Philosophy question, I am not a relativist, but the fact is simple:We still dont know much about how to reproductio the "true" sound , just try and error, and may create some terms to describe what they find, like Cardas's "Golden Ratio" 、wilson audio's "Anti-jitter" and Thiel's "time and phase coherence" .

Jul 2, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by donthuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any comments ?

Not really. Just that I think it's rather that you got used to the sound than the headphones got burned-in after 1500h.

Jul 2, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #6 of 15
Neither the O.P., nor anyone else said they require 1500 hrs burn-in. He clearly and simply stated his equipment and its' condition. They happen to be 6 months old and he approximated the time he had on them. My Darths (have several pairs) need 125 hours, and dt880 need 150 IMO. My dt990/600 were also fine at 150 hours or less. When you go the dt990 route I prefer the 600ohm version powered by a Ming Da MC 84c07 with orig. Mullard el84, with 6HU6 you'll find either Amperex or Mullard preferred, and my preference is to use Raytheon 5751/windmill, though many may opt for a Mullard.
re other burn-in times - Joe Grado says it is 30 hours for the drivers in his HP1000 headphones.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 15
In my experience, the DT990 really changed to another headphone after 1000 hrs burn-in.No-more sibilance, huge sound-field ,really deep sub bass , and strong sound energy (but not harsh or aggressive) .

I don't like to compare one headphone to the other , but you know, to claim a $264 dynamic headphone can even compare some $1000 stage of the art class headphones , is not just another crazy moves always happened in the net-world, but more like to suicided one's net-social life .

Jul 2, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 15
I don't know about 1000 hours asI have no idea how long I've been using my DT990. The biggest difference for me was going from using low-Z output on my Corda HA-2 MkII SE to the high-Z output. I was pleasantly shocked by the difference.

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 15
I ever try to connect my 990 to my friend's Corda symphony (in "z" section,because i feel "Z" section is not as transparent as "z" section ) , it's sound more close the HD650 side - not as dark, but very smooth, lush, cohesion.
On the same system, i surprisingly found that DT990's vocal more forward & (sound image)bigger than my friend's K701, maybe i should try the "Z" section next time.

Jul 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about 1000 hours asI have no idea how long I've been using my DT990. The biggest difference for me was going from using low-Z output on my Corda HA-2 MkII SE to the high-Z output. I was pleasantly shocked by the difference.

Maybe I will try that on mine.
What was the basic difference?

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 15
Add some comment about DT990.

Maybe many people consider the DT990 as the "boogie-Woogie " or "groove" headphone, One famous Japanese headphone review site 粗忽ヘッドホン just review DT990 as a "doping HD650", although i dont agree this review in some point, especially the term "doping HD650" , but this is one of the most detailed dt990 review i ever read .

Yes, DT990 is very good with Rock、metal and Jazz, but somehow lack some "hot spicy" or " shine passion" that Grado have, If headphones can be divided into 2side, Yang and Yin. I think DT990 more close to the "Yin" side. and It's not an "HIFI" headphone like SA5000 or K701 (with right gear, they still can be very musicality). even I can't say DT990 is an accurate or neutral headphone,if you want some thing accurate or neutral, find DT48 or DT150. DT990 is the kind headphone that can make people easy into nirvana, like HD650, but the two headphone done this in different way, HD650 just offer the listener a comfortable seat in very front of jazz band or orchestra, even you can see the every vivid movent of player ,but DT990 just offer an big window or scape of the Atmosphere、SOUND and Air .I believe it's is some kind of new sound really different to the legendary DT880、DT931 and DT990pro , maybe similar to ET-1000:beyerdynamic's old electrostatic headphone , but who knows?

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I will try that on mine.
What was the basic difference?

Bigger soundstage, better separation of instruments and vocals, a little more slam of the drums (sounds a little faster), and a little more detail and texture (could be because of better separation?).

With the lower-Z output, the vocals were much forward and I always wondered about the recessed mids that many people talked about. With the high-Z output, the vocals were not forward and seemed surrounded by the instruments.

Jul 6, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by donthuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT990 just offer an big window or scape of the Atmosphere、SOUND and Air .I believe it's is some kind of new sound really different to the legendary DT880、DT931 and DT990pro , maybe similar to ET-1000:beyerdynamic's old electrostatic headphone , but who knows?

DT990 sounds similar to electrostatic headphone ET-1000?
confused_face_2.gif

I am not sure if anyone agree with you on this.
I have an idea, why dont you say ATH-A900 sounds like ATH-L3000?
k701smile.gif

Jul 6, 2009 at 8:17 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by udeupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT990 sounds similar to electrostatic headphone ET-1000?
confused_face_2.gif

I am not sure if anyone agree with you on this.
I have an idea, why dont you say ATH-A900 sounds like ATH-L3000?
k701smile.gif

In fact i never hearing of the ET1000.

Just because i didn't actual got the same "electrostatic headphone like" features in other beyer's headphone, like DT880'05, that is another my long-term use headphone.

The "electrostatic headphone like" features not only refers to very smooth and sweet treble, but somehow "lack of grain" and "slower decay".

I'm not very certain of how to make DT990 sounds "electrostatic-like" , but this is what i got in some midnight-morning listen, and I'm very exciting about this.

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #15 of 15
Add photo and some comment about headstage, as you guys see, DT990 with my headphone amp & power supply.
biggrin.gif

Finally, some thought about my favored DT990.

Why I choose beyer's phone, not AKG , senns or grado? The reason is very strange, but simple.

Every headphone, when it's starting "voiced", would hsa a minor "heavy tone" , AKG has AKG's special tone, senns has senns' special tone, Beyers also has it's tone, but very slight , and very easy disappear in the music.

No headphone is perfect, if you ask me what weakness that 990 have? My answer will have two point.

1. 990's micro-dynamics not reach the best level of dynamic headphones.

2. 990 lack some accurate pin-point location. i guess that's is about the special "Sfumato" feeling of DT990

Users who are viewing this thread

Back