Some questions about turntables!
Nov 7, 2011 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Vinc

Head-Fier
Hi!
Recently I started a speaker set up. As for now it consists of naim nait 5i-2 and proac d-18. I'm now looking for an analog source. My budget is about 1000$.
I'm really wondering what percentage of my budget should go for my turntable/cartridge/phonostage.
A local dealer of mine has a rega P3-24 with a RB301 arm for about 650$. So that would leave me 350$ for interconnects, phono preamp and cartridge. Does it seem right to you? Or should I go with a lower-fi turn table in order to have a better cartridge and phonopreamp?

Also, what is a good way to store records and clean them?

Thanks!

Edit: I just saw a rega P3 with the rb300 arm for 450$, would it be a good deal too?

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 7
I'd get the used P3. They're terrific. If you want to upgrade it, add the Michell Tecnoweight and Groovetracer subplatter. That would give you a fine turntable.

My first phonostage was a NAD PP2. Quite good, but I was bitten by the tube bug and upgraded. Still, the PP2 will get you going and sound very good.

The Rega carts are good and easy to set up thanks to the third screw. One would serve you well for a couple of years while you save and consider your next step. I settled on using the venerable Denon DL103 cart with Cinemag step-up transformers. There's something speial about that combination. It'd be slightly out of your budget, but something worth considering several months on.

Anyhow, the Rega is a great way to go. There are tons of great aftermarket parts for them, they sound great and they are dead reliable. You can't go wrong and you can tune one exactly how you want.

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
I'd get the used P3. They're terrific. If you want to upgrade it, add the Michell Tecnoweight and Groovetracer subplatter. That would give you a fine turntable.
My first phonostage was a NAD PP2. Quite good, but I was bitten by the tube bug and upgraded. Still, the PP2 will get you going and sound very good.
The Rega carts are good and easy to set up thanks to the third screw. One would serve you well for a couple of years while you save and consider your next step. I settled on using the venerable Denon DL103 cart with Cinemag step-up transformers. There's something speial about that combination. It'd be slightly out of your budget, but something worth considering several months on.
Anyhow, the Rega is a great way to go. There are tons of great aftermarket parts for them, they sound great and they are dead reliable. You can't go wrong and you can tune one exactly how you want.

Listen to your "UNCLE"!  You can't go wrong with the P3 and after years of satisfaction with this table and arm combo, and you want to upgrade tables the RB-300/301 will be perfect for your new table...That's how good that arm is.... As far as phono stages go, I'm not familiar with the lower priced ones... But do ask your dealer if he has any open boxed or Demo models he could sell you! Then tell him you'll buy a better cartridge...Good Luck...

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #6 of 7
Yes, the Rega RB300/301 is a superb piece of engineering.

Considering its price and performance, it might be the best value in all of audio. There are better arms, but they're all into four figures and are marginally better.

I only have a couple gripes with it. One, for some reason I don't understand, Rega runs ground on the left channel. I'm not a fan of rewiring, but rewiring a RB300 with a traditional ground is a good idea. Two, the stock counterweight slides back and forth. It works, but I like a counterweight that can be locked in place. Something like a Michell Tecnoweight locks and is a nice upgrade.

Fix the two issues with the RB300 and it's damned good. The higher spec arms (RB600, RB900, RB1000) have tighter tolerances and are excellent arms, but the RB300 is still amazing for the price.

An upgraded P3 might be the first and last turntable you need to buy.

I've got a bunch of spare Rega parts; RB600 with Tecnoweight, Planar 3 plinth, dustcover, subplatter, Rega motor, and will assemble those into a secondary system. Maybe I'll make a custom plinth, I have a lot of ideas. But I absolutely want a Rega-based deck. They're that good.

Nov 12, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm bumping this topic because I have some more questions!
I was wondering if a grado wood platinum1 would be a good match for the rega P3. I've read a bit about this cartridge and some people seem to love it while some other say that there is some "hum". Anyone ever heard this combo?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back