Some questions about AT ATH-AD900
Aug 16, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #16 of 31
Hmm, I am thinking also about givin these a900s a go. It is a toss up between them and k701s.

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by cling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I am thinking also about givin these a900s a go. It is a toss up between them and k701s.

just remember, A900s and AD900s are very different beasts!

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #19 of 31
I'm also looking to buy these headphones, or maybe just the AD700s. They look really nice! Also, what quality music do you play? Is it 128kbps mp3, 192kbps, etc.? mp3 compression really plays a big part in what sounds good or not. And onboard sound is really trashy compared to even a $40 sound card, so look into getting a dedicated card.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #20 of 31
Yeah, this headphone is so damn sexy
biggrin.gif
, it looks much better than the a900. My source is mostly 192kbps - 320kbps. My clix will arrive in few day, do you guy think it's better source? And with the same money, which one should i upgrade: an amp or a sound card?
P/s: now, it's much better: the mid is so beautiful, it has a bit more bass than koss ksc 75, more punchy but not quite deep and the soundstage is larger but i can't have the feeling that i'm in a room with it, does the ad900 have smaller soundstage than a900?

Aug 20, 2007 at 10:28 AM Post #21 of 31
Another questions: amp and dac both improve the sound quality so what's the different between them? Which is more important to the sound?
With the headphone that doesn't improve a lot with an amp, spend money on sound card or DAC is better idea?
Does the AD900 have large sound stage? I think its size is about 1.5 to 2 times the soudstage of koss ksc 75, not very impress. I think the AT have hard hitting bass, deeper but koss' bass is fuller, is this right?

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gigabyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another questions: amp and dac both improve the sound quality so what's the different between them? Which is more important to the sound?
With the headphone that doesn't improve a lot with an amp, spend money on sound card or DAC is better idea?
Does the AD900 have large sound stage? I think its size is about 1.5 to 2 times the soudstage of koss ksc 75, not very impress. I think the AT have hard hitting bass, deeper but koss' bass is fuller, is this right?

DAC = Digital to Analog Converter
Converting digital signal within your pc/cd/whatsoever into analog signal that transfered to amp/output.

Amp = Amplifier
Amplifier is any device that will use a small amount of energy to control a larger amount of energy. In popular use, the term today usually refers to an electronic amplifier, often as in audio applications. - wiki
in simple word, a device that used to crank up the volume.

If soundcard isn't the solution anymore, get USB DAC/AMP combo
like Meier's Corda Move or iBasso D1.
Go to headphone amp forum and get your answer there.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're both talking about the AD900 with the D designation..the open version, yes? Guys, I've read many reports saying that it has sublime midrange. Generally, it's the closed version of cans that don't have midrange.
confused.gif

Yes, I was definitely talking about the open version. I was shocked at how recessed the midrange was, gave it a few days to burn in and was shocked all over again that nothing changed. Probably depends on what you're used to, but after the Senn 595 this phone is totally midrange deficient.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #27 of 31
In case of easy-to-drive headphones like AD900, definetly source/DAC. They dont need much voltage for volume, the quality of signal is much more important. Good soundcards or DACs own built-in amp circuit can feed them enough current too so optimal sounquality shouldnt be hindered by the lack of power.

So get DAC or good soundcard.

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gigabyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In my experience upstream components can make a big difference to soundstage and to be honest for something so tiny, the little koss's soundstage is quite surprising.

Yeah I'm not surprised the koss's bass is fuller... its called "bloated"
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #29 of 31
@PP312: Compare Koss KSC 75 to AT-AD900, the biggest different is the mid, AD900 has a very beautiful midrange, i love it very much. May be the problem is different taste.
@Others: thanks for reply, i think i will buy both the sound card and amp, because i think most people at head-fi have at least one amp, not a DAC
biggrin.gif
so i think it's better to go for the sound card and amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back