Some questions about AT ATH-AD900
Aug 15, 2007 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

gigabyte

New Head-Fier
I have just got this can with a fantastic price 100$
biggrin.gif
, it's a second hand one. Does this one improve a lot with an amp?

Aug 15, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by gigabyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just got this can with a fantastic price 100$
biggrin.gif
, it's a second hand one. Does this one improve a lot with an amp?

Now who would be nuts enough to sell them at this price?
cool.gif

You're a very, very, vey, very lucky man.

Aug 15, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 31
In Thailand, cost around 225$. You are very lucky. I like ATH. It sound more relax than Grado. ATH900 sound good without an amp. (I mean you don't need an amp to make them shine)
smily_headphones1.gif

oh you can check their price at www.pricejapan.com (good low price website)

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now who would be nuts enough to sell them at this price?
cool.gif

You're a very, very, vey, very lucky man.

Haha, i think i will be a very lucky man if the headphone sounds wonderful but it doesn't
frown.gif
. Some thing is wrong, i have koss ksc-75 and it's sounds fantastic with it price. My new ad900 aren't much better than ksc-75.
Dissembled, i saw the xin reference in your sign, how does it improve the ad900?

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Haha, i think i will be a very lucky man if the headphone sounds wonderful but it doesn't
frown.gif
. Some thing is wrong, i have koss ksc-75 and it's sounds fantastic with it price. My new ad900 aren't much better than ksc-75.

You don't say what's wrong with the sound. I had an AT AD900 and sold it after a week. No midrange--all bass and treble. I happily returned to my Senn HD595, an altogether different and better kettle of fish.

Aug 15, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

frown.gif
Dissembled, i saw the xin reference in your sign, how does it improve the ad900?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't say what's wrong with the sound. I had an AT AD900 and sold it after a week. No midrange--all bass and treble. I happily returned to my Senn HD595, an altogether different and better kettle of fish.

You're both talking about the AD900 with the D designation..the open version, yes? Guys, I've read many reports saying that it has sublime midrange. Generally, it's the closed version of cans that don't have midrange.
confused.gif

And Gigabyte, what you're seeing is my future rig.
icon10.gif

What source/amp are you using, btw?

Aug 15, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're both talking about the AD900 with the D designation..the open version, yes? Guys, I've read many reports saying that it has sublime midrange. Generally, it's the closed version of cans that don't have midrange.
confused.gif

And Gigabyte, what you're seeing is my future rig.
icon10.gif

What source/amp are you using, btw?

Sorry, i didn't notice the "Soon" word in your sign
biggrin.gif
Yes, i'm talking about the AD900, open version of A900, here's the pic:
img0083gk9.jpg

Now i just use it direct from my onboard soundcard, i'm planning to buy a little dot micro II or a xin supermicro ( i prefer this one but it's quite hard to get it
frown.gif
)

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Sorry, i didn't notice the "Soon" word in your sign
biggrin.gif
Yes, i'm talking about the AD900, open version of A900, here's the pic:
img0083gk9.jpg

Now i just use it direct from my onboard soundcard, i'm planning to buy a little dot micro II or a xin supermicro ( i prefer this one but it's quite hard to get it
frown.gif
)

Just made me drool all over the place.
cool.gif

You said that it's not much better than the 75s? Can you elaborate? Did you try other unamped sources?

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

...Now i just use it direct from my onboard soundcard...

that there is the reason.

good gosh!

i'd worry first about upgrading your source before looking at amplification.

Aug 15, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #12 of 31
Well, compared to my SR60, my ATH-AD900 sounds awesome. Plugged it direct to my onboard soundcard as well before I upgraded my source. Haven't heard the KSC-75 myself though...

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #13 of 31
The first time i put the ATH-AD900 in my head, i thoght the sound would be wonderful but it's not. Yes, it's better than the KSC-75 in all way but i think the Koss can do 70% of the AT
frown.gif
. I know my source is bad but the AD900 is a good headphone without a amp
frown.gif
I purchased this from a guy who has used it for about 1 years. May be the cable, driver have some problem ?

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

The first time i put the ATH-AD900 in my head, i thoght the sound would be wonderful but it's not. Yes, it's better than the KSC-75 in all way but i think the Koss can do 70% of the AT
frown.gif
frown.gif
I purchased this from a guy who has used it for about 1 years. May be the cable, driver have some problem ?

the phones are showing the deficiencies of your source

if there is no quality sound to begin with, how can the headphone reproduce these if it was never there? it needs to be fed quality sounds and I'm afraid your onboard sound is preventing your headphone from shining

it's not about whether it requires amping or not, it's whether the sound is good to begin with at all

Aug 16, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

frown.gif
frown.gif

My Senn EH350s are a class above the KSC75s and they're only priced at $60. My Kramer modded 75s seem terribly, terribly, terribly veiled in comparison. (Bass pervades everything in comparison.) This is coming from the Vision M.

You should try getting a good sounding DAP since the ATH Air series does fare very well without an amp (but scales well, nonetheless) as you stated.

Or maybe try getting a USB-based soundcard? Just don't give up on them just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back