Some Painfully-Learned Advice Relating to Carbonated Drinks
Jan 13, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For stomach pain: raw potato - seriously.

I do love potatoes. But raw!?

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sugar and artificial sweeteners are both very destructive to your health and we know that all soda is bad for you, but it's not the sweetness that is the real problem with Coke; it's the acidity.

Coke isnt the only highly acidic substance I consume regularly
wink.gif

(that's one for the gynos out there)

Regarding tap water, we need a bunch of hippies bombing hardwater plants (one for the historians)

Jan 13, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #33 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it treated aluminium? I'm pretty sure that aluminium has been linked to alzheimers.

That's been debunked, or at least the one study has never been replicated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope the water is at a minimum RO filtered? I am far from living a healthy lifestyle but ordinary tap water IMO leaves much to be desired. The taste and chemical content is sufficient to warrant a healthier alternative.

Bottled water can be just as bad if not worse. Ground water can be contaminated almost as easily as surface water. Remember benzene in Perrier.

The tap water where I live tastes fine. I remember when I was in LA in 83, one of the local news programs did a blind tasting of LA tap water vs the most popular bottled waters. LA tap water won as the best tasting.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #35 of 56
As I have a mild case of Crohn's disease, I definitely have to watch out for these things... yes, soda on an empty stomach is a bad idea, and same goes for black coffee. Best drink for the empty stomach I've found out personally, is Chamomile or Peppermint Tea; both relaxes your stomach very well, and I usually have it every morning after I wake up.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, eat it just like you'd eat an apple. Use a little salt maybe. It's my first line of defense against stomach pain.

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[rant]

Drinking several glasses of water each day will greatly improve the chances of flushing out any particulates that could cause a kidney stone. If you have ever passed a stone you would likely NOT drink any soda again.

[/rant]

The pain I had from a kidney stone was FAR worse than the pain I had from my heart attack. And the heart attack was quite painful.

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #38 of 56
Yup. I've had the kidney stone myself. Many people believe that renal pain is probably one of the worst kind of pain you can experience, and I believe it also. That week was truly hell...

I still drink soda in moderation though (one a week, or at max, two).

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #39 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beer is much better on an empty stomach
smily_headphones1.gif

Hear hear...
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's been debunked, or at least the one study has never been replicated.

Interesting!
Most aluminium cans would be coated anyway (generally with a vegetable gum of some sort these days ?) to prevent the aluminium from corroding so it should be fine.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

Don't drink them on a very empty stomach. Woke up this morning/afternoon at 1pm - it's holidays
biggrin.gif
- and decided I felt like some coke while I made my breakfast. One gulp and I was keeled over in pain and my stomach hasn't felt right all day.

Learn from my mistake. Eat something before you drink something carbonated.

Wow. Thanks for the enthralling insight.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #42 of 56
Tea is so much better (preferably green or white tea without sugar.) It doesn't irritate the stomach very much and I just feel much better after drinking (coming down from the sugar high is a lot more painful for me than the caffeine.)

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #43 of 56
I only have maybe one diet cola a week. I switched to coffee, and green/white/black/herbal teas. I used to drink cola daily. I also drink my 8 glasses of filtered water per day . I have a 2.2 litre bottle and it equals 8 glasses and i finish it daily. Im diabetic so i make sure i drink enough.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #44 of 56
you shouldnt drink sugared carbonated drinks at all...

no.1 reason for obesity.

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #45 of 56
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, eat it just like you'd eat an apple. Use a little salt maybe. It's my first line of defense against stomach pain.

So it tastes like a crunchy, starchy apple?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back