Some OVERRATED High End Gear.
Sep 11, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #166 of 330

Quote:
The LCD-2 is my biggest disappointment probably. Muddy, congested and poor soundstaging. Not to mention they weigh a ton (but that´s to be expected).

edit: and easily the most overrated thing is all balanced headphones and headphone amps in general. Sure, they might be a small difference, but it´s nowhere near the trouble and the added cost. 

I don't know what source you used, but when I was at a meet I heard the LCD 2 out of a Imod and a amp that I don't remember and it sounded like your description. But when I played it out of my rig (the one in my signature) they sounded spectacular.

Also balanced is a pretty big difference IMHO.

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #167 of 330
The rig was an Audio-gd REF7 + Phoenix combo, and the LCD-2 was balanced. The same rig sounded glorious with the Senn HD 650 and the HD 800. The LCD-2 just wasn´t my cup of tea I guess. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #169 of 330
The LCD-2 is indeed a reference quality headphone, and sounds even better balanced to me but I recognize that it could have something to do with the quality of the cable.

I find its soundstage to portray what is on the recording pretty accurately, without any limitation or exaggeration.

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #170 of 330
For gear, it's all a matter of taste.

For me, Grados, Ultrasone, Singlepower amps are weak when it comes to high dollar performance. However, I love AKG and some people feel that AKG is terrible.

Let's say this:

I happen to love lobster but some people think that it is nasty. There are people out there who are die hard sushi lovers and will pay top dollar for it. Others will think that breaded fried chicken is much better.

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #172 of 330

Quote:
For gear, it's all a matter of taste.

For me, Grados, Ultrasone, Singlepower amps are weak when it comes to high dollar performance. However, I love AKG and some people feel that AKG is terrible.

Let's say this:

I happen to love lobster but some people think that it is nasty. There are people out there who are die hard sushi lovers and will pay top dollar for it. Others will think that breaded fried chicken is much better.

i wonder sometimes, is it a matter of taste or is it, different expectation and/or different standard? 

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #173 of 330

Quote:
i wonder sometimes, is it a matter of taste or is it, different expectation and/or different standard? 

Combination of all three .

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #174 of 330

True but if someone is going to publish an article on a commercial website with the intention of influencing others and that article is presenting inaccurate information as fact (and out of context), in my book you deserve a little abuse!

G

Especially if the research behind the article involved the harm of cute little froggies by too curious researchers!

It doesn't seem to make sense though since live music would easily trigger this reflex. Maybe it only triggers in the presence of high-end speakers.

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #175 of 330

Quote:
Especially if the research behind the article involved the harm of cute little froggies by too curious researchers!

It doesn't seem to make sense though since live music would easily trigger this reflex. Maybe it only triggers in the presence of high-end speakers.

No doubt you could plot a cost to reflex ratio.  At > $10k+ perceived detail and SQ is surely beyond comparison even when switched off.

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #176 of 330

Quote:
I don't know what source you used, but when I was at a meet I heard the LCD 2 out of a Imod and a amp that I don't remember and it sounded like your description. But when I played it out of my rig (the one in my signature) they sounded spectacular.

Also balanced is a pretty big difference IMHO.

I run the LCD 2 out of an iPod and a portable amp and I'm very happy with it how it sounds.  I don't describe it as muddy or congested. I also use it on a full rig and yes it is a bit better, but I have always found the R1 to be easy to drive out of portable sources, and although I had a rough patch with the R2 at first, nowadays the R2 is grooving just fine on the same portable setup. 

I think some people just don't like the sound of the LCD2. Nothing bad about that, it happens.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #177 of 330
IMO, the original LCD 2s had terrible soundstage as I felt that it was seperated to very distinct, left, centre and right channels of sound. However, I find the rev2s to have great soundstage, very coherent with smooth transition on demanding pieces of music. Still not the widest though

Sep 13, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #179 of 330

Quote:
Expensive sources are really overrated. Most modern digital sources are, for practical purposes, perfect. So expensive sources have to distinguish themselves through coloration

Which expensive source have you tested in your regular setup with your regular source? Please describe your impressions. What are the prices of those tested?

If you can't answer, you have no business making the above statement.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #180 of 330
I've never been motivated to. So let me rephrase that: most modern sources measure effectively perfect.

Quote:

Which expensive source have you tested in your regular setup with your regular source? Please describe your impressions. What are the prices of those tested?

If you can't answer, you have no business making the above statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back