Some OVERRATED High End Gear.
May 10, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #301 of 330
That would fall under "overpriced" though. "Overrated" would involve headphones I've actually owned or auditioned myself.
I suppose the two terms could imply the same thing under many circumstances.

May 11, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #302 of 330
  +1 on HE6. Love that HP!

While LCD3 IMHO is overrated. Just my opinion and preference. Still, it also seems that Audeze may have realized it, as their now flagship -- the X -- has been priced closer to the flagships from others. 

You guys think HE-6 is underrated?  yes, looks wise, it's looks a bit crude and simple, not like the exotic LCD series, but you hear it, it's a different story all together.  I initially thought it looked pretty ghetto.  I recently acquired an LCD-2, and decided to try out the HE-6.  HE-6 blew me away.  I personally feel that there are lots of hype around LCD, it's mids are not up to what HE-6 does, and HE-6 can get pretty detailed if you feed the right amp(power hungry).  

I feel, LCD-2 is a hot chick with not so interesting personality, and HE-6 is not so hot chick with a personality.  I haven't heard the LCD-3 or X, but possibly a hot chick with good personality.  
tongue.gif

May 11, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #303 of 330
  You guys think HE-6 is underrated?  yes, looks wise, it's looks a bit crude and simple, not like the exotic LCD series, but you hear it, it's a different story all together.  I initially thought it looked pretty ghetto.  I recently acquired an LCD-2, and decided to try out the HE-6.  HE-6 blew me away.  I personally feel that there are lots of hype around LCD, it's mids are not up to what HE-6 does, and HE-6 can get pretty detailed if you feed the right amp(power hungry).  

I feel, LCD-2 is a hot chick with not so interesting personality, and HE-6 is not so hot chick with a personality.  I haven't heard the LCD-3 or X, but possibly a hot chick with good personality.  
tongue.gif

I don't think either one of us said that HE6 is underrated per se.  Still, it really does not matter since we seem to agree that its a really good can!
beerchug.gif

May 11, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #304 of 330
tongue.gif

That's awesome.

LCD-2/3/X are all pretty hot sisters you could say.

LCD-3 is the older, wiser, more sophisticated one.

LCD-2 is the youngest and brashest, but not yet so clever.

LCD-X is the middle child. Knows how to let her hair down but not clueless.

But HE-6 is the mysterious naughty girl up the street you really want to get to know.
biggrin.gif

I fell for the nerdy and intellectual HD800 though, we stay up all night dissecting the meaning of lyrics and other stuff.
wink.gif

May 11, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #306 of 330

That's awesome.

LCD-2/3/X are all pretty hot sisters you could say.

LCD-3 is the older, wiser, more sophisticated one.

LCD-2 is the youngest and brashest, but not yet so clever.

LCD-X is the middle child. Knows how to let her hair down but not clueless.

But HE-6 is the mysterious naughty girl up the street you really want to get to know.
biggrin.gif

I fell for the nerdy and intellectual HD800 though, we stay up all night dissecting the meaning of lyrics and other stuff.
wink.gif

Oh lord, this is the post of the day for me, nothing can top this.  LOL.  
I hate analogies, but I like this one.

May 12, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #308 of 330
^ I can't see LCDs as women. They're all burly and rotund. Obviously overrated as well. The Joe Bonamassas of the headphone world.

biggrin.gif

Four sentences with which I wholeheartedly agree in one single post on head-fi.org ? That's a record.

Thanks Mr. Kurochin
beerchug.gif
darthsmile.gif

Jun 9, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #309 of 330
Beyer T1, my biggest high-end headphone disappointment by a mile.

At least the LCD2 is pleasant sounding, overrated as it is.

In fact all of these high end super expensive headphones are overrated, even the HD800 - as good as it is - the HD800 is the poster child for that saying: So close and yet so far ... :)

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #311 of 330
  Beyer T1, my biggest high-end headphone disappointment by a mile.

At least the LCD2 is pleasant sounding, overrated as it is.

In fact all of these high end super expensive headphones are overrated, even the HD800 - as good as it is - the HD800 is the poster child for that saying: So close and yet so far ... :)

So basically, expensive = overrated?  Anything in the high end you don't think it is?

Jun 14, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #312 of 330
So basically, expensive = overrated?  Anything in the high end you don't think it is?
thats not exactly true..
Imho its overrated if it costs a lot because it looks flashy and expensive and the insides and the performance not on par with that high pricing because of that flashy expensive case..
On the other hand..if the component just uses expensive HIGH QUALITY parts to make it sound better then the higher price is justified.

All IMHO ofcourse! Best example for me is blue circle audio..they even make amps/ dacs etc. in a horrible cheap looking pvc tube! Just to keep the prices low..but inside the tubes u have the highest quality parts..so u pay for the music they play..not how they look...but if u want flashy..u get flashy..customer (and his wallet..lolz) is king. :D

Jun 14, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #314 of 330
Senneheiser HD280 — the absolute worst headphones on the planet.  They sound like if you took the tweeter out of a 2-way speaker and put it in a headphone shell.
isnt that the sennheiser which is all plasticy made and feels like it will fall apart any second when using it? A friend of mind uses one for gaming and they dont sound sennheiser worthy also..ur right about that!!

Jun 15, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #315 of 330
I really didn't like the Beyerdynamic T1 when I tried it, but others seem to love it. The treble is far too spiky for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back