Some modern Prog-Hard-Rock suggestions?
Apr 8, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #32 of 38
If you haven't already -- and you probably haven't, since they're not exactly famous -- I'd suggest checking out Truman Sparks from Charlottesville, VA. They just finished their tour, unfortunately, but you can listen to some of their songs on MySpace and you can buy the CD here, just $4 for the download. I'd suggest getting the actual CD, though, since it's got some great artwork on the packaging.

These guys are great live, but the CD is pretty good too.

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #33 of 38
Oh, almost forgot...

Something you should definitely check out is Old Man Gloom's Christmas. They've got members of Isis, Cave-In, and Converge... so you should be able to find something to love in there.

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opeth's Damnation
proggy album among more metal albums. VERY good.
Too bad you think Dream Theater is cheesy, I find Octavarium amazing. I hope youve give it a chance
wink.gif

i'm a HUGE opeth fan, i strongly recommend that album, other albums of theirs may be a bit too metally for your tastes, im not sure, but definitely give them a look, their more recent stuff (including Damnation and its sister album Deliverance) was done in collaboration with and produced by Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree whom you mentioned in your original post

Apr 9, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #35 of 38
You should really give Pain of Salvation another chance! Which album did you listen to? From your description I would say it was BE, since no other album by them has what you call a 'broadway feel'. It was supposed to be a musical after all...
For your tastes I would recommend their debut Entropia. It's quite raw, no really operatic vocals and no orchestra and probably still hard enough for you to like it.
But also the others albums and especially Remedy Lane are worth checking out if you really mean the 'prog' part in your description and are open for a bit of mellower music.

There are some sound samples from their earlier albums including Entropia, available here: http://www.painofsalvation.com/band.htm

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:29 PM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isis.

Get some Isis - Panopticon

You will go back to it once you have decided it isn't really your thing...

Apr 9, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #37 of 38
If you like post-rock metal, then ISIS, Callisto, Cult of Luna and Neurosis are the bands to check out. They are the top bands of that genre. While ISIS is the most classic band of those, I don't really it's the best. Personally I like Callisto and Cult of Luna most. While Callisto is more in the jazz/indie rock side (while still being dark and metal), Cult of Luna is heavier and more extreme and has more extreme vocals.

However, I would recommend a bit more unique band to the thread starter : The Black League. It's a rather unknown finnish band with very accomplished musicians from the northern Finland's metal scene. TBL's later work is mostly stoner rock, but their first two albums, Ichor and Utopia A.D are quite ambitious works, especially Ichor. Utopia A.D has more straight forward metal tracks. Bluesy, progressive and slightly psychedelic dark blend of hardrock and metal. Vocals are raspy, sometimes almost growly. The guitar work is just amazing and some of the tracks have real emotional depth to them. The ~10min closer of Ichor, Night on Earth, is one of my all time favourite songs. Zero cheese to be found here, though the sound might be a bit too metal for your taste. Check a vid from Ichor @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moTwTK_NT3Q

Also, check out The Gathering. Progressive metal/rock/triphop/ambient (depending on the album) with amazing female vocals. How to Measure A Planet (2cd) and Mandylion are my favourites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back