Some modern Prog-Hard-Rock suggestions?
Mar 30, 2007 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Really dont have any modern stuff other than Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Muse and Dredg.
Spend most of my time listening to Metal and classic Prog-Rock like Pink Floyd, Rush and Genesis.
So, im looking for the more modern material that might have a darker more psychadelic feel to it.
I guess i'm looking for Hard Progressive Rock, although im open to lighter stuff as well.

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 38
Doesn't Tool fit that description? If so, then get one/all of their albums right now! I also second the Dream Theater recommendation.

Mar 30, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mwallace573 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't Tool fit that description? If so, then get one/all of their albums right now! I also second the Dream Theater recommendation.

forgot to put TOOL in the original post because I consider them fmore Metal than Rock. They do howver happen to be one of my favorite bands.
Another thing I forgot to say was no CHEESE!
All due respect but Dream Theater is some cheesy ***** music to me-and again, arent they more metal than rock?

Mar 31, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #12 of 38
be sure to ck out the classic, prototypical prog band (with a real hard edge, and they've never stopped pushing the boundaries) - King Crimson, and their various offshoots.

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen to Hammers of Misfortune. Trust me.

edit: and Indukti.

ASMOX-picked up INDUKTI a whiles ago as a result of you recommending it me back then...and yes-definitely my style. Has a Tool/King Crimson-classically composed feel to it-good stuff.
Will have to look into Hammers of Misfortune.

Top Shelf-im a TMV fan and just never got around to At the Drive In.
Good place to start?

Apr 1, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
be sure to ck out the classic, prototypical prog band (with a real hard edge, and they've never stopped pushing the boundaries) - King Crimson, and their various offshoots.

Especially the ProjeKct sub group stuff, and if you can find it the King Crimson "Level Five" EP. As hard and modern as you can find from some old geezers...

A_Sr.

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listen to Hammers of Misfortune. Trust me.

edit: and Indukti.

Looked into Hammers of Misfortune-kinda surprised you wanted me to hear this.
Its got a power metal feel to it and some operatic vocals?
Only heard one or two songs but thats the feeling I got.
If I recall correclt, this one of the reasons why I couldnt get into Pain of Salvation. It had almost a Broadway feel to it.
I think im looking more for music like Cave In.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back