Some modern Prog-Hard-Rock suggestions?
Apr 1, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looked into Hammers of Misfortune-kinda surprised you wanted me to hear this.
Its got a power metal feel to it and some operatic vocals?
Only heard one or two songs but thats the feeling I got.
If I recall correclt, this one of the reasons why I couldnt get into Pain of Salvation. It had almost a Broadway feel to it.
I think im looking more for music like Cave In.

Well, I'd get a hold of The Locust Years (or The August Engine, which is better in some ways) and listen to it straight through before making that kind of statement. Hammers of Misfortune are probably the best "retro" modern progressive rock/metal band that I've heard in recent times. Yeah, they've got elements of traditional heavy metal and some vocal acrobatics here and there (the "power metal" feel you're referring to is probably due to them sharing members with The Lord Weird Slough Feg, who are awesome in their own right and not typical power metal), but there's also the infusion of folk, 70's progressive rock (the whole thing reeks of a King Crimson gone metal ideology), and a bunch of stuff that can only be dubbed "unique".

Give it a more thorough evaluation before tossing it away.

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #17 of 38
the secret machines are great, more spacey than metal

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #18 of 38
Apr 4, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #21 of 38
Opeth's Damnation
proggy album among more metal albums. VERY good.
Too bad you think Dream Theater is cheesy, I find Octavarium amazing. I hope youve give it a chance
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isis. End of thread.

'End of thread' seems to be your favorite tag line. You seem pretty full of yourself - which I think is a riot. Just because you think you know better than everyone else about a topic doesn't make it so.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway... NOT the end of the thread.

Continuing on.

For the OP;

I didn't dig back through this thread to see if it has been mentioned yet, but Neal Morse 'Sola Scriptura' is a modern Prog Rock masterpiece IMHO. Morse doing his thing, Portnoy on skins, Paul Gilbert on guitar. And to boot, it is mastered incredibly, so it sounds spectacular. I am very proud to have it in my collection, and (considering your preferences) I can't imagine how you couldn't enjoy it.

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'End of thread' seems to be your favorite tag line. You seem pretty full of yourself - which I think is a riot. Just because you think you know better than everyone else about a topic doesn't make it so.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway... NOT the end of the thread.

Continuing on.

For the OP;

I didn't dig back through this thread to see if it has been mentioned yet, but Neal Morse 'Sola Scriptura' is a modern Prog Rock masterpiece IMHO. Morse doing his thing, Portnoy on skins, Paul Gilbert on guitar. And to boot, it is mastered incredibly, so it sounds spectacular. I am very proud to have it in my collection, and (considering your preferences) I can't imagine how you couldn't enjoy it.

I hear alot about Morse, Marillion, Flower Kings and LTE-and they are usually grouped along with Dream Theater whom I really do not like. That cheesy, sometimes power metal thing with the 80's sound really drives me nuts.
Now I may very well be incorrectly grouping the above names with DT, but I tend to be into darker music-that said, do you still think Morse or any of the other names listed are for me?
For years now, ive been putting alot of prog-rock bands into a "guilty by association" grouping merely because they have been frequently mentioned along side DT and even Riverside (who I think is incredibly cheesy sounding music as well).
Im afraid I have been denying myself some good prog-rock...

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

I hear alot about Morse, Marillion, Flower Kings and LTE-and they are usually grouped along with Dream Theater whom I really do not like. That cheesy, sometimes power metal thing with the 80's sound really drives me nuts.
Now I may very well be incorrectly grouping the above names with DT, but I tend to be into darker music-that said, do you still think Morse or any of the other names listed are for me?
For years now, ive been putting alot of prog-rock bands into a "guilty by association" grouping merely because they have been frequently mentioned along side DT and even Riverside (who I think is incredibly cheesy sounding music as well).

Hard to say. Maybe hop on over to Amazon.com and listen to some samples. The last thing I would assuce Sola Scriptura of sounding like is cheesy 80s metal. If anything, it reminds me more of a lot of the great 70s era prog rock bands, the likes of Genesis, Rush, Kansas, etc. Maybe it will not be 'dark' enough for you, but I say listen to some samples - it may open up a whole new bunch of music for you that you will enjoy.

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

There really isn't any metal to be found among artists like Neal Morse, Marillion, and TFK... but the general atmosphere of the music is essentially a modernized version of retro prog (which I guess you enjoy?). In other words, it's neo-prog. I've really grown tired of that entire sound over the years... in fact, I can't stand Neal Morse, but it might be worth checking out for you. One band in this area that I actually do like is The Tangent, especially their first album The Music That Died Alone.

Leaving that alone, here are a few other things you can check out -

4/3 De Trio - Ersatz - Interesting stuff. Lots of influences from later-period King Crimson and more straightahead prog wrapped up in some avant-metal packaging.

At War With Self - Torn Between Dimensions - Not sure how you feel about Gordian Knot (I think I remember you saying you liked it at one point?), but this is essentially GK v2.0.

7 for 4 - Contact - Sort of similar to the above, but more wanking around.

Thanatopsis - Anatomize - Another band with Buckethead... very enjoyable.

Trephine - Trephine - It's like a down-tempo Behold... the Arctopus with more sludge and a dirtier sound.

Birdsongs of the Mesozoic - The Iridium Controversy - This is uh... strange. Check it out.

Russian Circles - Enter - Nice, metallic post-rock. You should like this.

Dark Suns - Existence - It's sort of like Katatonia + Pain of Salvation only without a lot of the broadway drama as you like to call it, so I think you might like this.

Also check out a band called Garden Wall but ONLY albums prior to Forget the Colours... that's actually my favorite album from them but it may as well be a different band altogether. It's completely twisted bizarro metal, while everything prior is essentially symphonic neo-prog of the sort that you might like. Take your pick.

You can also check out bands like Anekdoten and Anglagard for some more neo-prog that's actually sort of interesting.

Apr 7, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There really isn't any metal to be found among artists like Neal Morse, Marillion, and TFK... but the general atmosphere of the music is essentially a modernized sound of retro prog (which I guess you enjoy?). In other words, it's neo-prog. I've really grown tired of that entire sound over the years... in fact, I can't stand Neal Morse, but it might be worth checking out for you. One band in this area that I actually do like is The Tangent, especially their first album The Music That Died Alone.

Leaving that alone, here are a few other things you can check out -

4/3 De Trio - Ersatz - Interesting stuff. Lots of influences from later-period King Crimson and more straightahead prog wrapped up in some avant-metal packaging.

At War With Self - Torn Between Dimensions - Not sure how you feel about Gordian Knot (I think I remember you saying you liked it at one point?), but this is essentially GK v2.0.

7 for 4 - Contact - Sort of similar to the above, but more wanking around.

Thanatopsis - Anatomize - Another band with Buckethead... very enjoyable.

Trephine - Trephine - It's like a down-temp Behold... the Arctopus with more sludge and a dirtier sound.

Birdsongs of the Mesozoic - The Iridium Controversy - This is uh... strange. Check it out.

Russian Circles - Enter - Nice, metallic post-rock. You should like this.

Dark Suns - Existence - It's sort of like Katatonia + Pain of Salvation only without a lot of the broadway drama as you like to call it, so I think you might like this.

Also check out a band called Garden Wall but ONLY albums prior to Forget the Colours... that's actually my favorite album from them but it may as well be a different band altogether. It's completely twisted bizarro metal, while everything prior is essentially symphonic neo-prog of the sort that you might like. Take your pick.

You can also check out bands like Anekdoten and Anglagard for some more neo-prog that's actually sort of interesting.

WOW ASMOX-thanx for taking the time to write that out.

Apr 8, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #30 of 38
I would categorize most of the prog hard rock I listen to under Stoner Rock, but here's some good stuff:

Kyuss - welcome to sky valley - great album, epic piece of stoner rock.
Lowrider - Ode to Io - often referred to as Kyuss copycats, this however is not an insult, good disc - a bit more energetic than the above.
Truckfighters - Gravity X - the most energetic of the bunch, but I'll be damned if it's not awesome driving music, somewhere between stoner and rock, but executed with more skill than there modern sludge-stoner contemporaries
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A# Infinity - beautiful and kind of depressing post apocalyptic post-rock drone fest, their other stuff is good too, but this album stands out for me.
Brant Bjork - Jalamanta - Super chill super stoner, this stuff will put you on another planet without the help of self-medication
Unida - Coping with the Urban Coyote - Kyuss Lite - last track on this disc, "you wish" makes the whole disc worth it
The Sword - Age of Winters - I haven't given this disc enough of a listen to place them in the scheme of things, but its good.

I've also found some respite in the sludgy droner stuff lately
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone - lots of sabbath shining through this one - sloppy playing, but it suits the execution
Boris - Akuma No Uta - Extremely loud, long drawn out riffs - if you like the sound of distorted electric guitars, this might be the band for you.

all i can think of for now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back