Some LME49600 implementations
May 26, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #106 of 292
Precision mill, my ‰¶¿
I usually just cut a V-groove with a blade. :)

So it was a loop of return currents, presumably between top and bottom layer (via plated through holes)?

May 26, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #107 of 292
I think it's most useful to think of it in terms of how you would ground it if it were point-to-point wiring.

You might bring the quiet grounds such as the feedback to the input or output jack (which would be joined) and return the decoupling caps up to the regulators which would form a star for the PSU.

As it was, current from the caps down the LHS of the board could migrate diagonally from close to the input jack up to the regulators, polluting the signal areas in the process. Cutting the 2 ground planes forces the PSU return current to flow in a clockwise direction into the area above the regulators and separates the noisy PSU area from the signal area.

I think.

I've always found grounding a difficult issue, particularly in PCBs with a ground plane, but although I've generally taken care I think I've been lucky with the results, which led me to be a bit casual in this case.

Anyway, whatever the reasons, the cuts make a huge difference, I can't tell by listening whether the amp is turned on or off regardless of volume setting.

Please let me know when the boards arrive, they're all marked 'no intrinsic value' so there should be no holdup at customs.

Originally Posted by G.Trenchev /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wakibaki,could you post results at 16/44.1 or 24/44.1 ?I want to compare my amp to yours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here are the results @ 24/44k1 showing the soundcard alone and soundcard + amp. Edited to include results for 16 ohm load.

w

May 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #109 of 292
If there are people lurking that are interested in the project, they should make themselves known, like you did.
The more people that show interest, the more effort a designer is likely to put into a project.

Quote:

I'm sure they're a lot more people lurking, like myself.  
wink.gif

May 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #110 of 292
Quote:

I'm sure they're a lot more people lurking, like myself.  
wink.gif

Good. Come out, come out, wherever you are...

I just took delivery of a new USB oscilloscope, so I've been playing with that...

Output RMS voltage 1kHz test tone (Hantec DSO2150 USB scope):-

Unloaded 317mV 

Loaded 309mV

Load 16 ohms

Output impedance (calculated) 0.41 ohms

w

I see a newer version of RMAA (6.2.4) has been available since 02 April 2012. Good, there may be some improvements coming.

May 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #112 of 292
The amp is single ended, not balanced

Quote:
I'm interested as well :)

Does it accept balanced input only?

May 29, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #114 of 292
Quote:
If there are people lurking that are interested in the project, they should make themselves known, like you did.
The more people that show interest, the more effort a designer is likely to put into a project.

Probably should have chimed in sooner, but my knowledge of circuits is very limited.  Didn't want to post just for the sake of posting without any contribution to the discussion.  I do enjoy tackling diy designs though if  for nothing else than the satisfaction of completing something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back