Some help moving on from the 701's
Dec 6, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #31 of 47
I don't think it is always poor amping with the K701 - it is a brighter headphone than the HD650, hands down. It's brighter out of an ipod, out of an 0404 usb. and out of anything else I've tried it with. Even a dark amp like the M^3 didn't prevent it from being a bright headphone, to me.

I think it all comes down to how sensitive an individual is to treble.

The op mentioned that he wanted a bit less treble, I think that he probably isn't going to find anything that wows with detail that doesn't also eventually become fatiguing. Perhaps a companion headphone would work instead?

I wouldn't dare go to an orchestral performance (or any other kind) without musician's earplugs, so the treble is a bit muted anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #32 of 47
Grado + tubes! Fast punchy bass, lots o' detail. As you move up the Grado price ladder you get closer to (and exceed?) the 701 soundstage.

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it is always poor amping with the K701 - it is a brighter headphone than the HD650, hands down. It's brighter out of an ipod, out of an 0404 usb. and out of anything else I've tried it with. Even a dark amp like the M^3 didn't prevent it from being a bright headphone, to me.

I think it all comes down to how sensitive an individual is to treble.

The op mentioned that he wanted a bit less treble, I think that he probably isn't going to find anything that wows with detail that doesn't also eventually become fatiguing. Perhaps a companion headphone would work instead?

I wouldn't dare go to an orchestral performance (or any other kind) without musician's earplugs, so the treble is a bit muted anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah I definitely prefer the detail over the warmth. I was just looking for a companion headphone that had 701 soundstage with a little more warmth. I am going to explore a new amp first. One with desktop design and more power.

On another note I have never had a chance to hear the "Grado" sound, but does it fit into the description above?

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I definitely prefer the detail over the warmth. I was just looking for a companion headphone that had 701 soundstage with a little more warmth. I am going to explore a new amp first. One with desktop design and more power.

On another note I have never had a chance to hear the "Grado" sound, but does it fit into the description above?

ATH-AD2000
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #38 of 47
I have the Grado RS-1 and the K-701 and definitely find the AKG's to have a larger soundstage. You have a good amp and personally think you should stick with it. It's easy to fall down the path of upgraditis
tongue.gif
I'd say just stick with getting a new pair of headphones, being that will give you the biggest change in results (esp at a lot less money).

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see Lambda in your future.

I have a feeling you are right, but I cannot afford the price tag
frown.gif
at least right now.

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #40 of 47
My 337 does gives my k701 some tight and clean basses, which are suited for reproducing classical music, but probably less for heavy metal and rock. Has anyone compared DV337, Woo, Stello and Heed Canamp etc on K701?

After acquiring the reference uncolored K701, I am ready for the beautifully colored AD2000. On this note, anybody drove AD2000 with tube amp giving good results?

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #41 of 47
Also another quick question. Would upgrading the power supply for the ultra micro yield the results I am looking for?

Then I wouldn't have to go looking for a new amp.

Dec 7, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #42 of 47
illy2k,
I do not have the ultra micro amp but I found that changing to the astrodyne with the ultra micro dac yielded a positive benefit in soundstage, texture, punch, and realism. It was not a huge difference but very markable through the 701s. I assume it would be similar with the amp.

Dave

Dec 7, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
illy2k,
I do not have the ultra micro amp but I found that changing to the astrodyne with the ultra micro dac yielded a positive benefit in soundstage, texture, punch, and realism. It was not a huge difference but very markable through the 701s. I assume it would be similar with the amp.

Dave

That is what I thought, thanks dac. I was wondering if anyone powers any of the Ultra Micro's with the HR Desktop PS?

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
illy2k,

Stax are not that expensive.

$300-400 for SR-Lambda Normal Bias + SRD-7
sonic impact T-AmP = $60

That isn't that much at less than $500 for a huge step in sound.

Wow I didn't know that. I looked through the yamasinc site but they don't seem to offer the the SRD-7 do they still make it? If so where can I get one? Also what does the normal bias mean for the Lamdas? Is that a special version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back