Some DJ headphones are accepted a lot more lately by "audiophiles".Or not.
Sep 14, 2009 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Nirvana1000

500+ Head-Fier
Pioneer is a brand we hardly ever hear about here at Head-FI.I guess "DJ" headphones aren't considered in the "audiophile" category.But i think that's changing.Mainly because most DJs are considering them selves audiophiles as well.And the fact that "bass head audiophiles" like myself are looking to DJ cans to satisfy our bass hunger.My Q40s with my Blue Dragon V3 cable has become my fierce bass monster but also well tamed for a nice overall balanced frequency range.Ultrasone,AKG,Denon,Sony,Sennheiser,Beyerdyn amic have all been contributing to supply DJs with their products.A lot of head-fiers have turned away and ignored "DJ" cans because of the perceived notion that they are not worth their attention because they are not considered "audiophile" quality.Well i think that has changed.What do you think? I'm very intrigued about these new HDJ-2000.They are pretty expensive at $349,but they have just been released.Max power input is rated at 3,500mW.50mm "high flux,dome type" drivers?And memory-foam padding with comfortable protein leather.Buy Pioneer HDJ-2000 Pro DJ Headphones | DJ Headphones | Musician's Friend

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 26
I myself own a pair of Denon DN-HP 1000's...I'm not sure if they would be considered so, and thus I dont push the subject all that much. I do notice that sounds are clearer than all of the mainstream (think Best Buy) headphones.

But then again..sound perception is so subjective...

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 26
Also if you notice, not many people here are die-hard EDM fans, which is the genre that usually is centered around DJ headphones (if not, Hiphop)

Most people hear listen to music with recorded instruments, as opposed to music which has been recorded at a 0 noise level.

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 26
From what I've heard in most DJ cans, they seem to have slightly similar sound signatures. Usually that "lovely" U setup, where the midrange will often be sacrificed, and the trebles and bass will be much more pronounced. If that is something you don't mind, or even prefer, then several high end companies (which have been mentioned already) make very good DJ phones. I own the DJ1-Pros, and I think they sound fantastic, even if they suffer from that "U" syndrome. But I like punchy and bright phones, and listen to lots of hiphop and electronic, so they satisfy me quite a bit.

I wish I knew more about the Denon ones, and I should have asked the guy who wore them into my work last week... Though my manager would have kicked me on the spot.

Sep 14, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 26
i've had dj cans from pioneer, beyer, akg, ultrasone, equation, senn, koss, and audio technica (as well as no-name brands)

enhanced mid-bass , sometimes with shrieking highs, is the norm. the best i've heard is the audio technica ath-pro700 (though not the most comfy), and the ultrasone 780

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try GMP 8.35 D Monitor, or some Ultrasone Pro DJ1.

Well i just shipped my HFI-580 to Scott(warrior05/S2 Audio) to be re-terminated to a single 1/8 female input,so i can use my Blue Dragon V3 cable.The cable which brought my Q40s to a new level,where the bass hits hard like a speaker and is tighter then ever,even at very high volume levels with no distortion.Better detail,midrange and increased soundstage.Anyway he is going to replace the internal stock conductor wires and give them some chamber treatment.I can't wait to hear them with the Dragon cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 26
I'm really curious on this issue too.

I for one just tried a pair of Pioneers, the SE-M390, and that instantly made me take a thought to the HDJ-2000. With its magnesium alloy, n protein leather, mini xlr cable coupling, I know I could easily have a cable done up for me by Austin (Zombie-X at ZXAC), with some nice cabling. So thats out of the way, the real thing for me is that I LIKE WHAT I HAVE READ HERE: http://www.djdeals.com/pioneerHDJ2000.htm about the item, along with the price, and also some other bits.

Those "other bits" are PET rather than Mylar for the Diaphragms, a tougher material that should do bass frequencies according to Pioneer's audio scientists, and the locking hinges make them un-annoying as i wouldn't be mixin' n' scratchin' I'd be head-bobbin'. Also the high-flux magnet and voice coil seem intriguing on this set. As is the RLY large input power maximum of 3,500 mW so I'll have a hard time bucking the driver by accidental volume knobbage. I've torn drivers in the past. Or at least gotten them to rattle. No, not deaf, thank you. :-D

But back on topic, I think this particular pair of cans is really a nice set that I'm going to save up for and investigate. It's looking like either something like THIS or the Ultrasone PRO900 for me, and I *do* primarily listen to electronic music.

I just like it from CD in FLAC or from my fave juno download who will let me buy WAV and crush it to FLAC on their servers before download... Not every Dance Music Lover likes crappy MP3's. That rant aside.

Back on topic once more, I'm lucky enough to have a couple of places local to Silicon Valley to test out this set before buying from wherever I please, or not, depending on how they sound... I'll definitely drop a note here after I've given them a listen.

ALSO if anyone else gives them a listen, please chime in, I'm dying for a decent reveiw on them.

May 15, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #10 of 26
Can you compare pioneer and hd 25 1 side by side?
I dont like to be a party pooper but think that price of pioneer is determined by fancy durable materials and sleek design not the sound but maybe Im wrong, will see.
There is review coming on skratchworx with pretty much all dj 'phones, pioneer, senn, ultrasone, denon, technics, stanton, ath......

May 15, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #11 of 26

Quote:
Also if you notice, not many people here are die-hard EDM fans, which is the genre that usually is centered around DJ headphones (if not, Hiphop)

Most people hear listen to music with recorded instruments, as opposed to music which has been recorded at a 0 noise level.

Are you sure about that? I've encountered a ton of EDM enthusiasts on this site.

May 15, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #12 of 26
Hi DTKZ, been a while!!

I would particularly like to know how they stack up to "traditional" audiophile cans, and especially the Ultrasones if you have any experience with them, as i am considering a pair of PRO 900 or the HDJ-2000, which seem to have lots going for them to my eye material wise.

I just need an honest evaluation of their Sonics... Are they worth the street price of ~$250, with a possible cable upgrade (easy cuz of the mini XLR socket) or SHOULD I hold out for the PRO 900 Ultrasones. 

As for music, I DO primarily listen to Electronic... with some Indie, Dance Punk, Industrial, and Pop thrown in.

Care to venture an opinion. My current primary cans are SONY XB700, and I believe I mentioned liking the Pioneer SE-M390.

May 15, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 26
My friend has the HDJ-2000. I've auditioned them a few times, and I gotta say they really aren't my thing. Then again, I prefer neutral headphones.

The HDJ-2000 is quite bass heavy. A bit boomy, even.

May 15, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 26
My Pioneer Monitor 10 (1978) is sacred. I have its successor from 2004, the Pioneer Monitor 10R. For me my 10R is sometimes better than my AKG K240 DF. The 10R is usable as an DJ-headphone but it I cannot confirm that. As a listening headphone, the 10R is excellent but it has to be to your liking. It sounds neutral to cold and if the music sounds bad, it is bad as I noticed with Michael Jackson's 'Dangerous' for I missed bass on some tracks which led me to the conclusion that MJ preferred synthesizers over bass lines, sorry but Funk needs bass, even if you call it New Jack Swing. (I did some reading to find out why I did not like the album/music.) Please excuse my musical preferences and opinions.

Be prepared, the 10R is even more neutral to me than my DF with some albums. The 10R is my 'Bitches Brew' (by Miles Davis) headphone because the DF was polite for me. It is a good headphone which really has to be to your liking. A good voice (Adele) sounds amazing but a bad recording gets no soft treatment, no warmth. If you are into Rock and the harder Rock genres at that especially, give the 10R a try. The 10R works with everything to be clear but with Judas Priest on, oh yeah... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back