Some different headphones....
Apr 15, 2012 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Adexus

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I recently bought some Beyerdynamic DT990s and I was rather impressed by their sound but for some reason they're giving me migraines and I think it might be because of the really high treble which to be honest I tend to forget about but I guess my ears don't, anyway I've been looking for some more cans and the only other ones that interested in my price range are the Sennheiser HD598, I'll be using them for music which will be mostly things like metal, dubstep, techno, acoustics, orchestral, gaming and movies so are these a good bet? I do like the colour scheme and I do want a bit of bass but not too much and I have been looking at the Denon AD5000, although they're way over my budget I was wondering if it's worth the extra money? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 26
Brainwavz HM5 are quite neutral and would compliment your DT990. The D5000 although superior has a similar sound signature (v shape).
If you hate treble so much go for the HD650.

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 26
HE-400 is probably the only open can that will give you the bass you crave in the price range. Other than that, the Denons might have just as strident a treble for your ears as well. A used HD650 will do you good too, but won't provide the bass of the HE-400. The HD650 has around the same bass as the DT990 but more mids and less highs.

Also, what is your source?

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 26

Okay, I owned the hd598 for about a month. They are anemic on bass IMO. Sold them. I would keep working with the dt990's. Thats a great hp. What are you using to amp them. I found the treble to bright for me also, till I changed out the op amp in my audio gd and it rolled off the treble just a bit and now they sound perfect!!

With regards to the denon, it is also a little bright and sparkly on the treble. Again with the change in my amp it sounds really good. 

The hd598 would get rid of the brightness issue if you can live with the treble.

GL!!
Quote:
Hey guys,

I recently bought some Beyerdynamic DT990s and I was rather impressed by their sound but for some reason they're giving me migraines and I think it might be because of the really high treble which to be honest I tend to forget about but I guess my ears don't, anyway I've been looking for some more cans and the only other ones that interested in my price range are the Sennheiser HD598, I'll be using them for music which will be mostly things like metal, dubstep, techno, acoustics, orchestral, gaming and movies so are these a good bet? I do like the colour scheme and I do want a bit of bass but not too much and I have been looking at the Denon AD5000, although they're way over my budget I was wondering if it's worth the extra money? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 26

Quote:
HE-400 is probably the only open can that will give you the bass you crave in the price range. Other than that, the Denons might have just as strident a treble for your ears as well. A used HD650 will do you good too, but won't provide the bass of the HE-400. The HD650 has around the same bass as the DT990 but more mids and less highs.

Yes, I find the he400 to be an outstanding hp also. See my sig for a review. It's different tech with the planar and I love it!! It did everything sound wise that the Beyer did, but much better.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
Brainwavz HM5 are quite neutral and would compliment your DT990. The D5000 although superior has a similar sound signature (v shape).
If you hate treble so much go for the HD650.

I've had a look at the HD650 and unfortunately it is out of my price range for the moment but thanks for your suggestions.

Quote:

I'll take a look at the HE400 thanks, and I usually listen to 320kbps music files or lossless sometimes depending on the band and I use them for PC gaming and console gaming as well, and I'm running them through an Asus Xonar D2X through Coax to a FiiO E9 which I just purchased.

Quote:
Okay, I owned the hd598 for about a month. They are anemic on bass IMO. Sold them. I would keep working with the dt990's. Thats a great hp. What are you using to amp them. I found the treble to bright for me also, till I changed out the op amp in my audio gd and it rolled off the treble just a bit and now they sound perfect!!

With regards to the denon, it is also a little bright and sparkly on the treble. Again with the change in my amp it sounds really good. 

The hd598 would get rid of the brightness issue if you can live with the treble.

GL!!

Thanks for the info, well the DT990s aren't the comfiest headphone for me either since the drivers touch my ears and my ears are small as well so I didn't think I'd have this issue, I packed cloth underneath the padding and has helped but I still don't find them that comfy for some reason, I think it might be the actual padding, it feels too thin and not spread out if that makes sense.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 26

It's strange to hear you say, because the dt990's are the most comfortable phones that I've ever owned. Just slightly better than the hd598's. So you bought them new and they have not become flattened with use? I have average sized ears and mine never touched the drivers or padding. 
Quote:
I've had a look at the HD650 and unfortunately it is out of my price range for the moment but thanks for your suggestions.

I'll take a look at the HE400 thanks, and I usually listen to 320kbps music files or lossless sometimes depending on the band and I use them for PC gaming and console gaming as well, and I'm running them through an Asus Xonar D2X through Coax to a FiiO E9 which I just purchased.

Thanks for the info, well the DT990s aren't the comfiest headphone for me either since the drivers touch my ears and my ears are small as well so I didn't think I'd have this issue, I packed cloth underneath the padding and has helped but I still don't find them that comfy for some reason, I think it might be the actual padding, it feels too thin and not spread out if that makes sense.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 26
I can see his gripe with them. Their clamping force is light, their cushions soft and alltogether plenty breathable, but their cups aren't the deepest in the least. It makes for a comfortable yet sloppy fit. My ears touched the cloth over their drivers as well.

Apr 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 26

Quote:
It's strange to hear you say, because the dt990's are the most comfortable phones that I've ever owned. Just slightly better than the hd598's. So you bought them new and they have not become flattened with use? I have average sized ears and mine never touched the drivers or padding. 

Yeah all I heard was how comfy they were so when I got them I was like... ummm... and yeah I bought them brand new.

Quote:
I can see his gripe with them. Their clamping force is light, their cushions soft and alltogether plenty breathable, but their cups aren't the deepest in the least. It makes for a comfortable yet sloppy fit. My ears touched the cloth over their drivers as well.

The clamping force that they came with was silly, it was crushing my head, it was only till I stretched them fully out a good few times that they lightened up and then can now rest on my head easily and yeah, I think I added about half a centimeter with the padding but my ears still touch the sides :frowning2: Have I received a newer revision or something? :\

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #14 of 26
Oh... fair enough then but I have been looking at the D2Ks, and they aren't terribly out of my price range, but they look huuuge or maybe it's just the pictures, but one thing that I can't really make out is the ear depth, anyone know if there a lot of space?

Apr 15, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 26
My ears don't touch the cloth covering their drivers near as much as it did for DT990. For one the Denons clamp less, and second, the pads are angled so the back of your ear gets more depth work with than on the DT990.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back