Some advice on a little list I have - looking to get into vinyl
Aug 30, 2009 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Installation

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm looking into getting into vinyl, and I've put together a small list of basic components that I *think* would be decent (note: I have a small budget, and I understand that I won't be getting audiophile heaven :p). Anyway, I'd be glad if any of you guys could just have a quick look over it - also, I know basically nothing atm so any help would be great.

Ok, for the turntable, either a technics 1200 (MK2) if I find one used.

Or an audio technica AT-PL120

Or a Pro-Ject RPM1 Genie 3 >> Pro-Ject RPM1 Genie 3 Bundle >> Save £23

Now, for the amplifier and speakers I have genuinely no idea - so anything would be helpful.

Thanks

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Installation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all, I'm looking into getting into vinyl, and I've put together a small list of basic components that I *think* would be decent (note: I have a small budget, and I understand that I won't be getting audiophile heaven :p). Anyway, I'd be glad if any of you guys could just have a quick look over it - also, I know basically nothing atm so any help would be great.

Ok, for the turntable, either a technics 1200 (MK2) if I find one used.

Or an audio technica AT-PL120

Or a Pro-Ject RPM1 Genie 3 >> Pro-Ject RPM1 Genie 3 Bundle >> Save £23

Now, for the amplifier and speakers I have genuinely no idea - so anything would be helpful.

Thanks

The AT-PL120 is not that good.
The Genie is a good starter table. It's cheaper at the link below.
The SL1200 is a good table if you can find one cheap enough and in good shape.

PROJECT GENIE II TURNTABLE (BLACK) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/3682 for details

Get yourself a TCC TC-750 phono preamp from the link below or ebay. It's better than the N&S in your link.

Phonopreamps.com Home Page

You're probably better off to get the speakers you want before the amp, since you can then look for a vintage amplifier/receiver to match. If you wanted, you could even pick up a vintage integrated amplifier with a built-in phono preamp and you wouldn't need the separate phono preamp above. Some integrated amplifier names to look for are NAD, Creek, Nytech, Arcam (A&R Cambridge), Cambridge, Cyrus, Rotel, Pioneer A400, Audiolab, Musical Fidelity.
There are some threads about speakers in the Cables, speakers sub forum.

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 10
For amplification I think you should look into vintage integrated amps, like Marantz, pioneer or Kenwood (preferably from the late seventies / early eighties). They almost always have built-in phono preamps. That way you can get a good sounding amp and phono stage for very little money.

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 10
Ok, thanks all. I'll get on the hunt then.

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Installation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all, I'm looking into getting into vinyl, and I've put together a small list of basic components that I *think* would be decent (note: I have a small budget, and I understand that I won't be getting audiophile heaven :p)....

Since you're in the UK going by the links then you should read Geoff Husband's Hi-Fi buying guide at TNT TNT-Audio HiFi buying guide
as a lot of the best 2nd bargains will be from small local manufacturers.

Forget separate phono stages for instance as you can get a (Mission) Cyrus One amp for under 100UKP 2nd hand which has a very high quality onboard phonostage.

Similarly there was a glut of decent quality belt drive turntables made here in the '80s from long gone companies like Logic, Walker, Dunlop, Manticore, Fons... etc any of which will be cheaper than a new budget Pro-Ject and much much better quality.

With some carfeful shopping around you could put together a decent budget system for under 100 quid easily and for 500 you will get something pretty high end if you what to look for.

Aug 31, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 10
Oooh, that's some really great info there memepool (especially the value part :p), do you know any places that would be good for me to snoop around in for vintage gear in the UK?

Also, I have little idea of what to look out for when buying used stuff, any tips? (or links to sites with tips?)

Thanks.

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 10
As for the speakers, what do you plan to spend? What is the size of the room you will use them in? Do you have a preference for size and style of speaker? And what kind of music do you listen to?

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 10
Well the budget for the entire thing was £500, so if I get into vintage stuff as much as possible I may well have £300-ish left over to spend on speakers. I have no preferences on size and style, the room I'll be listening to it in mostly will be quite small. And really, I listen to basically everything - do tell me if I need to clarify if it helps.

Thanks

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #9 of 10
All the stuff in that article is very common in the UK and the prices aren't far off although it was written some time back. I'd look on Ebay, Gum Tree, Craigs list for stuff that's local or if you live out in the country, for people who look like they know how to pack stuff properly.
I'd go for a system along the lines of Geoff Husband's article. something like a Systemdek (This looks good [ebay 140341864949]), Cyrus One (ebay 330356280702) and some Heybrooks (ebay 120463846491) or one of the other ones he mentions.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a peek.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back