Some advice about earpads kindly requested.
Mar 16, 2017 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ginetto61

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi !
playing with some earpads leather and velour i have noticed some differences in the sound.
Speaking of HPs with earpads sorrounding the ear: i wonder how much is important the sealing effect of the earpads.
If this is important i have the impression that leather pads, even if they make me sweat, are the best option.

I have the feeling that vin the end velour pads are not good for listening.

If anyone knows of a thread were this is discussed please redirect me.
Thanks a lot,   gino

sorry ... found now the link

http://www.head-fi.org/t/191377/velour-vs-leather-for-earpads

Mar 16, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 3
better seal means louder low end frequencies. the variations can depend on the headphone, but you will never get louder sub bass by worsening the seal on the head.

any consideration of "better" are usually subjective and changing pad can definitely alter the signature. so you can play around and if you prefer something, stick with it. remember also that old pads won't sound like new pads. because of the seal, because the foam will have given in and the driver will have come closer to the ear, etc.
pads can be a big part of the sound, I personally would rather stick to comfy pads, and use my EQ. but you should decide for yourself where your priorities are. again, unless somebody went and measured stuff, I would take any talk of sound "improvement" as a subjective opinion when it comes to pads.

Mar 17, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 3
better seal means louder low end frequencies. the variations can depend on the headphone, but you will never get louder sub bass by worsening the seal on the head.
any consideration of "better" are usually subjective and changing pad can definitely alter the signature.
so you can play around and if you prefer something, stick with it. remember also that old pads won't sound like new pads.
because of the seal, because the foam will have given in and the driver will have come closer to the ear, etc.
pads can be a big part of the sound, I personally would rather stick to comfy pads, and use my EQ. but you should decide for yourself where your priorities are. again, unless somebody went and measured stuff, I would take any talk of sound "improvement" as a subjective opinion when it comes to pads.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very helpful reply. 
Actually and especially during summer vinyl pads are a nightmare. They get very wet.
The fact that even high end HPs come with velour pads must mean something.
Issue close.  I will try to get the most out of velour ones.
Thanks again,  gino

Users who are viewing this thread

Back