Solving the Mystery about the dt880s bass with rock
Apr 28, 2006 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
Is it really that lacking in bass??? I have senn 555s and I find them to have just enough bass but maybe lacking a little slam/impact. Are the 880s better in this regard against the 555? If not, I might go for the 990 or whatever the best rock phone there is that you guys can recommend. No grados though, I find them boring cause refinement is my idea of fun
biggrin.gif

Hehehehe sorry for the misleading title... I should have said it would solve a mystery for me if you guys can give me accurate feedback
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 28
The Beyer DT880 has great bass, good low end extension. It is the highs that people have some objection too. I think they are well balanced and easy to listen too.

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 28
I think the amount of bass you are able to get out of the 880's depends greatly on how they are amped. . . . I can tell you the 880 & 990 have entirely different sound signatures, and to my mind the 990 is a great, if not one of the best rock headphones.

- augustwest

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 28
about amping, ive read at meier audios site that the 32 ohm models are not finnicky about amps which makes them more valuable to me since i will be able to use them even with my pcdp until I get a much better amp than my pa2v2

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 28
I really like the (defiantly non neutral) signature of the 990s and frankly I find them very easy to amp ( my Portable Pimeta, PA2V2 and $30 Hong Kong amp all drive it easily) , probably not suitable for Opera but hey I have 501s and 580s for serious music
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 28
The DT880s have bass that sounds natural and extends very deep. However, it doesn't have a midbass hump like some other headphones. The midbass and upperbass are what give you that slamming, impactful bass for rock music.

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 28
actually even my 555s are a little too bloated for me around the midbass. I want something tight fast and not bloated and want the bass around 30hz to be heard along with the slam without the midbass masking it. Question is, does the dt880 have a fast immediate sound with good impact and definition... Im pretty much sold on the new 880 32ohm for now... convince me that there is something better for the price considering it will also run well with portable devices

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
The DT880s have bass that sounds natural and extends very deep. However, it doesn't have a midbass hump like some other headphones. The midbass and upperbass are what give you that slamming, impactful bass for rock music.

Hmm... Not necessarily. Midbass can actually destroy the impact of bassdrum which rock needs. It can make drums sound loose "thump" instead optimal fast and deep "Thuck". My AKG K240S has a a huge hump on midbass. EQ'ing some midbass down actually gave bassdrums more aggressive sound.

Are we talking about newer DT880 or older one BTW?

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
Hmm... Not necessarily. Midbass can actually destroy the impact of bassdrum which rock needs. It can make drums sound loose "thump" instead optimal fast and deep "Thuck". My AKG K240S has a a huge hump on midbass. EQ'ing some midbass down actually gave bassdrums more aggressive sound.

Are we talking about newer DT880 or older one BTW?

Im talking about the 32 ohm version of the latest dt880 and yes I agree with what you said unless were listening to some early rock which needs a bass boost

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
I think the amount of bass you are able to get out of the 880's depends greatly on how they are amped. . . . I can tell you the 880 & 990 have entirely different sound signatures, and to my mind the 990 is a great, if not one of the best rock headphones.

- augustwest

Absolutely-
The 880's are very amp dependent.
I haven't heard rock so crankin' since the DT990 =

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #13 of 28
The newer Beyer 880 is said to have improved bass. The previous model had good extention but poor level. During extended listening it created a sensation of needing to raise the volume to get at least some impact while needing to lower the volume because the extention is somewhat fatiguing to the ear. But then others like that. But natural they are not, neutral can be argued if you believe a flat freq response on headphones is neutral. Certainly not a rock headphone though. Grado 225, Senn 650, Beyer 990 would be better candidates.

Apr 28, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
shouldnt the 32 ohm version fix the amp dependence?

The 880 has a lower sensitivity and still needs a lot of power regardless of the impedence. The 250 ohm dt 880 was the most power hungry dynamic headphone I have ever used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back