Solving the Mystery about the dt880s bass with rock
Apr 28, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #17 of 28
"has anyone tried this 32 ohm version? I wish someone could give a loudness comparison between it and the hd555 or 595 series"

It's not just about loud. It about sound quality, and the 880 isn't going to deliver the kind of sound quality that will make you "rock" un-amped. The 880 is a fine headphone, but needs decent ampfilication to deliver the goods. (even the 32 ohm version)

- augustwest

Apr 28, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
[
It's not just about loud. It about sound quality, and the 880 isn't going to deliver the kind of sound quality that will make you "rock" un-amped. The 880 is a fine headphone, but needs decent ampfilication to deliver the goods. (even the 32 ohm version)

- augustwest

The thing is that the DT770 250 ohm for instance is not easily driven and the 80 ohm version is almost as difficult so the impedance hasn't made an enormous difference. Both are not really too good from a portable unit.

It's just that 32 ohms sounds like it might be a lot easier for folks who don't want to connect an amp but want good headphone sound. (The other route I suppose is the MS1)

Ian

Apr 29, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #19 of 28
Subjectively, to my ears the DT880 is a bit too light/airy in the bass to be convincing with some rock. Depends a lot on both the recording and amp used though. They definitely wouldn't be my first choice for a rock headphone, too refined and tending toward "delicacy".

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:21 AM Post #20 of 28
so from hearing comments from this thread, I lost interest in the 880s and may want to try gs1000s from reading comments from other threads

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #21 of 28
imo, the newer version of the dt880 has much fuller but still tight bass compared to the older version. i was also turned off by the light bass of the previous version but comparing the new version to the k601, the new dt880 were so much better. unfortunately i didn't have a k701 to compare to but that audition was enough to make me purchase the new dt880.

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:54 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
imo, the newer version of the dt880 has much fuller but still tight bass compared to the older version. i was also turned off by the light bass of the previous version but comparing the new version to the k601, the new dt880 were so much better. unfortunately i didn't have a k701 to compare to but that audition was enough to make me purchase the new dt880.

You're the first person I know of to claim that the new DT880 has a lot more bass than the 2003 version. Anyone else corroborate this? (if it's true, I'd want to avoid the new version myself since the old one is pretty neutral to my ears).

Apr 29, 2006 at 9:07 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
You're the first person I know of to claim that the new DT880 has a lot more bass than the 2003 version. Anyone else corroborate this? (if it's true, I'd want to avoid the new version myself since the old one is pretty neutral to my ears).

the first time i heard the k601, i compared them to the old dt880 and i enjoyed the k601 more. the older dt880 sounded thin to me. a month later, i tried the k601 again but along with the new dt880 and the new dt880 seemed more euphonic with the bass better filled out and smoother. this time around the new dt880 sounded better than the k601. i'm not a bass head but imo the new dt880 seemed to have more mid bass.

Apr 29, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

It sounds slightly more rounded than the old version but the difference is slight. It's more like there has been a tweak.

A change from the old to new is too expensive to be worth it but the new one is slightly better balanced in sound imo. I certainly wouldn't avoid it if you like the old version. (and your old version stopped working).

Ian

Apr 29, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

The shopkeeper who i have been dealing with lately also recommended me newer version of DT880 as cheaper choice when i was looking for rocking cans and fell in love with over-expensive-around-here Grado SR225. I have not listened it (new dt880) yet though.

Apr 29, 2006 at 11:42 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by iancraig10
It sounds slightly more rounded than the old version but the difference is slight. It's more like there has been a tweak.

A change from the old to new is too expensive to be worth it but the new one is slightly better balanced in sound imo. I certainly wouldn't avoid it if you like the old version. (and your old version stopped working).

100% agreed, the changes are only tweaks, but they definitely add up to be an all-around good upgrade if you really like the old version.

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex944
they definitely add up to be an all-around good upgrade if you really like the old version.

I think that Beyer have done a good job here and may even have listened to complaints made in the past.

There is no perfect headphone but responding to your audience as Beyer seems to have done is an excellent trait. They haven't compromised on sound at all.

They do seem to listen and I was aware of the slight tweaking before it appeared since I had spoken to the Beyer place here in the UK. I mentioned it on Head-fi and the response from some was 'horror' at 'improving' the bass.

I would suggest having a listen if you're horrified at having 'more' bass. It's now an excellent headphone imo.

Ian

Apr 29, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #28 of 28
With good amping, I would think that the 600 ohm version would compare very well with any other headphone on the market. The high ohm version would tame any issue with the high end brightness and would put a bit of a better balance with the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back