[SOLVED - PURCHASED PFE 121] SHURE SE215 vs ETYMOTIC HF5 vs Klipsch Image S4i II/ Klipsch Reference S4i
Dec 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sirp

New Head-Fier
Hello

I need some new headphones but I cannot decide which to buy. I read a lot of reviews, some (older) threads here too but it's hard to decide if you don't have a direct comparison. I am considering to buy Klipsch S4i Reference or Image S4i II (what's the difference between them?), Shure SE215 and ETYMOTIC HF5. I also looked at V-Moda and Sennheiser, but I don't know how they perform (if you can recommend some of these brands, do it :)). SHURE seems to have the best sound compared with the two others and it makes a very durable impression however it doesn't have a remote and a mic. Klipsch has nice sound to, but with a useful remote and headset. ETYMOTIC seems to have good sound too, it includes a headset and remote and a nice iphone app however I have some consideration in their durability. Isolation seems to be equal (right?). I was wondering if anyone can tell me more about the sound quality and the durability of these headphones and which you'd recommend to buy. Durability and Sound (and isolation) quality are most important for me, mic and remote are very welcome.

Thanks for your help!

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 20
Go with the 215's

Forget about the Reference S4's, I have never heard them but they were basically a failed update to there line which is why they came out with the S4 II's and ONE II's shortly after.

The only thing I don't like about Shure is they charge $50 for an iPod cable.

The 215's are the best, very detailed great mid-range nothing is harsh or shouty, they have a little extra bass with a little held back treble, its there but not sparkly enough for me (only complaint I have with them).

The S4's have more bass, really deep and thumping and more highs, the mids are ok but not as good as the 215's but the lower treble/upper mids can get a little harsh.

The HF5's mite be the most detailed in the highs and the most "accurate" but they have like no bass.

Dec 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 20
I can't quite help you decide as I'm currently picking a pair for myself from a similar list. What you might find interesting is the klipsch x10, their most expensive iem, is just 130 on amazon, so similar price range, and probably better than any other headphone klipsch makes.

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 20
What are you looking for in terms of sound though?

And the Etys will win for isolation handily. Probably shouldn't just base your decisions on brands though. Every company has a bad egg or two released. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #5 of 20
It's funny that you chose one IEM per sound signature (HF5 is analytic, SE215 is mid-ranged, and S4 is bass as hell / V-shaped). I wouldn't touch the S4, I didn't like the huge amount of bass and slight sibilance. Go with one of the other two.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
It's funny that you chose one IEM per sound signature (HF5 is analytic, SE215 is mid-ranged, and S4 is bass as hell / V-shaped). I wouldn't touch the S4, I didn't like the huge amount of bass and slight sibilance. Go with one of the other two.

They are very different soundsignature IEMs like Etymotic HF5 are highly detailed and showing lots of hidden details in highs, mids and offers good bass response but not for bassheads(overal little on cold side soundsignature). Shure SE215 are good allrounder alternative to the HF5 with warmer soundsignature, meaty midrange and good punchy bass. Klipsch S4 are bassy an shows good details overall but nothing amazing. IMO RE0 are great buy if you want highly detailed IEMs without being cold and good bass response(balanced not bassy).

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #7 of 20
They are very different soundsignature IEMs like Etymotic HF5 are highly detailed and showing lots of hidden details in highs, mids and offers good bass response but not for bassheads(overal little on cold side soundsignature). Shure SE215 are good allrounder alternative to the HF5 with warmer soundsignature, meaty midrange and good punchy bass. Klipsch S4 are bassy an shows good details overall but nothing amazing. IMO RE0 are great buy if you want highly detailed IEMs without being cold and good bass response(balanced not bassy).
Is Shure Es215 better basd than kilpsch S4?

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
Is Shure Es215 better basd than kilpsch S4?

I think people are to hard on the S4's on head-fi especially now that they fixed the cable (MAKE SURE YOU GET THE S4-II not the original)

The slight sibilance I will agree with but they really aren't that bassy, the bass is just a little lose so it sound bigger with more reverb, like your in a club similar to the Denon-D2000's and 5000's.

The bass on the 215's is elevated a little over the mids and highs but it is very tight and controlled where the bass on the S4's is a little loser and thumpier.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #9 of 20
Thank you for your various responses! I just discovered that ETYMOTIC offers a HF5 version with iphone remote (HF3) with the same sound. I am tempted to go for those. I don't like that shure charges an xtra 70 bucks for their remote. And their size and wearing-style isn't that attractive either (but ok). Does anyone know how durable the HF3s are? I have some concerns here.

I am mainly listening to HipHop though I also like Classical. Therefor I'd like to have some well balanced headphones (though I like some bass too :wink:).

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:
I think people are to hard on the S4's on head-fi especially now that they fixed the cable (MAKE SURE YOU GET THE S4-II not the original)

The slight sibilance I will agree with but they really aren't that bassy, the bass is just a little lose so it sound bigger with more reverb, like your in a club similar to the Denon-D2000's and 5000's.

The bass on the 215's is elevated a little over the mids and highs but it is very tight and controlled where the bass on the S4's is a little loser and thumpier.

Hmm... I might've been a bit harsh on the S4, as if it has no redeeming qualities. I keep forgetting that they updated the price tag from $70 to around $35-40, and had the mentality that it's definitely not worth the $70 my friend paid for. On top of that, I'm coming from my RE-ZERO and HF3, so of course the S4 will sound ridiculously bassy compared to those.

Quote:
Thank you for your various responses! I just discovered that ETYMOTIC offers a HF5 version with iphone remote (HF3) with the same sound. I am tempted to go for those. I don't like that shure charges an xtra 70 bucks for their remote. And their size and wearing-style isn't that attractive either (but ok). Does anyone know how durable the HF3s are? I have some concerns here.

I am mainly listening to HipHop though I also like Classical. Therefor I'd like to have some well balanced headphones (though I like some bass too :wink:).

As an ex-owner of the HF3 (I just sold it to another Head-fi member), I can say that the durability is nothing to worry about. The build quality of the IEM itself is good, but the durability of the included tips is a little less durable. The cable is a little hard/has memory, but that's nothing to complain about.

However, I babysit all my things, so if you mistreat your headphones, I can't guarantee the same 
wink_face.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

The bass on the HF5 are flat. Not the best if you're looking for even a little bit of bass emphasis. The tubes on them are a bit thin, but should last if you don't throw them around or anything. Certainly not going to snap right in your ears.

Wearing IEMs over-ears styke gets a bad wrap for being not what most people are used to. I can't see any downsides to it, and in exchange you get more ease of use, less microphonics, less intrusiveness. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #12 of 20
If you want well balanced with good punchy bass response then JVC FXD80, Sony EX600, RE0(bass light compared to others but still pretty good and i used UE 5EB, Denon C300, IE8, FX700, so bass on RE0 and HF5, HF3 is not that light), Yamah EPH100 are highly recommended and they serve almost all genres muisc well. The Etymotic HF5 are better than HF3 and they are littlle cold sounding but highly detailed and offers good bass response(because deep tight seal increase bass) and AMPs will help to increase bass more.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
Hello

I need some new headphones but I cannot decide which to buy. I read a lot of reviews, some (older) threads here too but it's hard to decide if you don't have a direct comparison. I am considering to buy Klipsch S4i Reference or Image S4i II (what's the difference between them?), Shure SE215 and ETYMOTIC HF5. I also looked at V-Moda and Sennheiser, but I don't know how they perform (if you can recommend some of these brands, do it :)). SHURE seems to have the best sound compared with the two others and it makes a very durable impression however it doesn't have a remote and a mic. Klipsch has nice sound to, but with a useful remote and headset. ETYMOTIC seems to have good sound too, it includes a headset and remote and a nice iphone app however I have some consideration in their durability. Isolation seems to be equal (right?). I was wondering if anyone can tell me more about the sound quality and the durability of these headphones and which you'd recommend to buy. Durability and Sound (and isolation) quality are most important for me, mic and remote are very welcome.

Thanks for your help!

I just got the SE215, and they are defintely in a upper category than both the Klipsch you mentionned. So if you can go for them, its a no-brainer.

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Hmm... I might've been a bit harsh on the S4, as if it has no redeeming qualities. I keep forgetting that they updated the price tag from $70 to around $35-40, and had the mentality that it's definitely not worth the $70 my friend paid for. On top of that, I'm coming from my RE-ZERO and HF3, so of course the S4 will sound ridiculously bassy compared to those.

As an ex-owner of the HF3 (I just sold it to another Head-fi member), I can say that the durability is nothing to worry about. The build quality of the IEM itself is good, but the durability of the included tips is a little less durable. The cable is a little hard/has memory, but that's nothing to complain about.

However, I babysit all my things, so if you mistreat your headphones, I can't guarantee the same 
wink_face.gif

Thanks, I'll take good care of them
wink_face.gif

Quote:
The bass on the HF5 are flat. Not the best if you're looking for even a little bit of bass emphasis. The tubes on them are a bit thin, but should last if you don't throw them around or anything. Certainly not going to snap right in your ears.

Wearing IEMs over-ears styke gets a bad wrap for being not what most people are used to. I can't see any downsides to it, and in exchange you get more ease of use, less microphonics, less intrusiveness. 

You might be right what the wearing style concerns. I guess it's merely a matter of getting used to.
wink.gif
The only downside is the higher price for the ipod cable (though I might also be able to go without that). I read a review that told me that the SE215 won't snap right in the ears either. Though that's not that important for me (I am not mainly using them for sports).

I had the idea that a rather flat IEM might help me training my ear so I thought it doesn't have to bass emphasized.

Quote:
If you want well balanced with good punchy bass response then JVC FXD80, Sony EX600, RE0(bass light compared to others but still pretty good and i used UE 5EB, Denon C300, IE8, FX700, so bass on RE0 and HF5, HF3 is not that light), Yamah EPH100 are highly recommended and they serve almost all genres muisc well. The Etymotic HF5 are better than HF3 and they are littlle cold sounding but highly detailed and offers good bass response(because deep tight seal increase bass) and AMPs will help to increase bass more.

Thanks for your suggestions. That seem to be pretty snazzy IEM's however I think it would exceed my budget. Never had some good headphones, so let's go step by step
wink.gif

I thought HF5 and HF3 would be equivalent (and I am actually surprised about that). I thought the only difference between them was the remote. Thanks for that (in fact very important) information!

Quote:
I just got the SE215, and they are defintely in a upper category than both the Klipsch you mentionned. So if you can go for them, its a no-brainer.

Did you buy them with the remote? Can you tell (esp. on mids and upper & details) any difference?

I am considering to buy some PHONAK AUDEO PFE 121. It seems that they are another league of IEM's (just judging by the price tag) and they are currently on sale (even lower than the Klipsch, but just until tommorow). Does anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/482515/review-phonak-aud-o-pfe-121

Users who are viewing this thread

Back