[Solved]New lyr2 backfeeding electric sound through headphones
Jan 16, 2015 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

hifi nub

100+ Head-Fier
My new lyr2 is backfeeding electric sound through headphones. Background static electricity baaziiiieee sound. I have tried my tripplite power backup supply, I tried my ISOBAR by tripplite and I tried a regular wall outlet, all the same results. Should I pop in the default tubes and see if it's the tubes making the racketing noise? Atm I have a pair of 74 Voskhod Gary Shield 6N23P's installed.

Any thoughts on this?

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 19
Ok, it is worse when I scroll my browser page. Change website pages. So it must be coming from the pc? Almost sounds like a fax machine making those noises when u call a fax number.

Also, when I move my mouse it happens worse.

The noise stops when I disconnect the aux jack from the amp.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 19
Which dac are you using. Perhaps it's a noisy USB port or something

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 19
What is your audio source? Do you have a separate DAC or are you feeding analog (line out) from your computer straight to your Lyr2? It sounds like you have the latter configuration, in which case that is noise from your PC that you would likely hear if you just plugged your headphones directly into your computer as well - the Lyr is making it more noticeable as it's amplifying the signal, including that noise. That'll be hard to get rid of without replacing your sound card (if this is a desktop machine), going to a high-quality outboard sound card, or (best option) going to a separate DAC and using digital out from your computer. You are probably aware that Schiit makes some nice, inexpensive DACs (like the Modi) that would serve this purpose well... You could try a different source (like a smartphone) into the Lyr to confirm that the buzzing noise goes away. Enjoy!

-John

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 19
You might have a ground loop. First thing is to connect all of your power cables into the adjacent jacks on the same power strip.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #7 of 19
  What is your audio source? Do you have a separate DAC or are you feeding analog (line out) from your computer straight to your Lyr2? It sounds like you have the latter configuration, in which case that is noise from your PC that you would likely hear if you just plugged your headphones directly into your computer as well - the Lyr is making it more noticeable as it's amplifying the signal, including that noise. That'll be hard to get rid of without replacing your sound card (if this is a desktop machine), going to a high-quality outboard sound card, or (best option) going to a separate DAC and using digital out from your computer. You are probably aware that Schiit makes some nice, inexpensive DACs (like the Modi) that would serve this purpose well... You could try a different source (like a smartphone) into the Lyr to confirm that the buzzing noise goes away. Enjoy!

-John

An asus xonar d1 pci sound card it is also a DAC.

I am feeding the lyr2 from my sound card. I just tried the headphones jacked straight into the sound card. No noises. I will hook my mp3 player up to the lyr2, and then I will enable DAC on my DAP and see if it happens. THanks for the great ideas trying to find out what it is. I will post back in a few.

I am also reading this too.
http://schiit.com/faq/amp-problems

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #8 of 19
Ok, I have USB>FiiO X3 DAC>LYR2>Headphones. The noise still occurs.

I am going to try the DAP directly to the lyr2.

Edit:
It has something to do with the PC. argh.

X3 DAP>Lyr2, no noise.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 19
  Ok, I have USB>FiiO X3 DAC>LYR2>Headphones. The noise still occurs.

I am going to try the DAP directly to the lyr2.

Edit:
It has something to do with the PC. argh.

X3 DAP>Lyr2, no noise.

Check for a ground loop. 
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 19
It sounds like a case of EMI, I have the same with my Lyr 2 when it's cranked over 75% volume at low gain, I hear a slight whining, 

You can try using an optical out from your sound card or mobo, that will eliminate the sound completely, you can also try using shielded phono leads if you haven't already you could have some RF being picked up by cheap phono leads. I suffered from both EMI and RF interference, decent phono leads helped me tame the issue.

The Schiit Wyrd might help, again, I got one and it cut a little of the noise off. There are a few notable USB filters you can try, iFi have a couple that might be worth a try.

I don't know why buy the Lyr 2 seems to be a magnet for USB noise.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 19
  Is this a technical technique?  How would I check for ground loop?

That's always difficult to nail down. Trial and error, First thing is to try what I said a few posts back. another is to temporarily try lifting the ground from the power plug of the Lyr2 using one of those 3 prong to 2 prong AC adapters but leaving the groud tab floating (not connected). See if any of this  makes a difference. These things can be done quickly.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 19
  It sounds like a case of EMI, I have the same with my Lyr 2 when it's cranked over 75% volume at low gain, I hear a slight whining, 

You can try using an optical out from your sound card or mobo, that will eliminate the sound completely, you can also try using shielded phono leads if you haven't already you could have some RF being picked up by cheap phono leads. I suffered from both EMI and RF interference, decent phono leads helped me tame the issue.

The Schiit Wyrd might help, again, I got one and it cut a little of the noise off. There are a few notable USB filters you can try, iFi have a couple that might be worth a try.

I don't know why buy the Lyr 2 seems to be a magnet for USB noise.

Interesting. Great info.

That's always difficult to nail down. Trial and error, First thing is to try what I said a few posts back. another is to temporarily try lifting the ground from the power plug of the Lyr2 using one of those 3 prong to 2 prong AC adapters but leaving the groud tab floating (not connected). See if any of this  makes a difference. These things can be done quickly.

The 3 to 2 prong adapter worked!

Omg thanks, stan.

Quote:
  You might have a ground loop. First thing is to connect all of your power cables into the adjacent jacks on the same power strip.

I done this. It doesn't help.

How safe is it to use this 3 to 2 prong adapter? Any fire hazards?

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #14 of 19
In Denmark it is quite normal not to have the majority of electronic devices in a household grounded

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 19
Not to scare you  but it's there for safety in case there is an electrical failure inside your amp (or whatever device) that leaks AC mains voltage to the case. Even when using three prong plugs, the grounds are not perfect and can cause problems like you have. That's why lifting that 3rd prong made it go away. Thats why I asked you to plug all of the power cords from your computer into the same power strip to avoid ground differences. Did you include your monitor and everything with a power cord?
I just Googled the below Youtube. If you use the Groundlifter plug you are depending on the cables between your amp and next device that is plugged into the powerline to give you that safety ground. Unplug one interconnect audio cable and you lose the safety. You might be able to use the lifter and run a hardwire between the computer and amp as a safety measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back