Solve this equation? Recommendation Please
Mar 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

pearlgirl

New Head-Fier
So, I apologize if this has been asked at nauseum, but after scrolling and searching through numerous threads, I can't seem to find the info I am looking for. I am looking for a recommendation. I will list as many factors/criteria as I can think of below.

-Around or under $100
-Built in mic for use with Blackberry (although I mostly listen to my iPod Classic). I don't need volume control though.
-I am a commuter, so decent isolation
-I walk on my commute, so not too noisy cable
-I listen to a wide range of music (rock, electronic, folk, etc.), but a good portion is live recordings (excellent soundboard recordings), so a good soundstage (hope I'm suing the correct terminology)
-I like a full sound, not too bassy, but a decent amount is fine.
-Durability, if I just put them in my pocket and not always in their case

I tried on Shures, and didn't really like them, they weren't that comfortable (I didn't love the foam tips, I think I prefer silicon). I also tried a pair of UE Metro 170vi's. They were ok, but I am wondering if there are better ones. The cable was very noisy, to the point that it really affected the sound.

I go to a lot of concerts, and have been wearing Etymotic earplugs. I find their tips comfortable, but I am concerned about their IEM sound from what I've read, that they lack lows/bass. And the hF2's are a little more $ than I wanted to spend. I may be willing to go that high if I could be convinced it's really worth it.

i totally understand that this is a very personal choice, and know there is no real "answer" necessarily. Thanks for your input.

One other thing... What's the deal with returns? Let's say I purchase a pair, try them out, and don't like them, can earphones be returned for a refund after wearing them? Are there certain retailers that are better than others for this?

Thanks!

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 20
klipsch image s4i ??

some best buy stores carry this model as well as the one without microphone.
you can buy it and return it within 14 days i believe.
good luck w/ your hunt.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 20
I also use my IEMs frequently with a BlackBerry and appreciate the in-line pause control/mic.

Here's a list of IEMs with that feature, their MSRP, and links to reviews.

I've been exceedingly happy with my (well-burned-in) NuForce NE-7M with Shure E2c silicone tips, although I'm going to try MEElec's M9P for comparison. I had the M11P version, but preferred the NE-7M.

The upcoming (April ETA) Maximo 7-series sounds intriguing. And the recent availability of Monster Turbine Pro Gold and Copper models with 'ControlTalk' (not yet added to the list linked above) is exciting for those that want "top-tier" sound quality with their mic/button, albeit for a price.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 20
Any head-fi'er will tell you to get out of the habit of putting phones in your pocket, unless you're in mood for very regular replacement. If you get them used--some of us hoard our hard cases--and you're cheap, go with eyeglass cases or a travel soap dish. $3 max for either.

I don't do miked phones, but the NE-6s have a miked version (the NE-7 I think?) and they're adequate phones.

As for returns, most retailers will only refund for DOA/damaged. If you don't like them, many (most?) will give you credit towards another purchase, minus a restocking fee (10-25% of the purchase price).

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 20
As a follow up, what are people's thoughts on these? If there are previous posts that compare them, please feel free to post the links.

-Nuforce NE7m
-Maximo HS5 (I read that their cords produced a lot of noise?)
-RE0 (do they have a mic though, I'm not sure)

And I hesitate to put these on here for fear of getting flamed, but I'll do it anyway.
-V-Moda Vibe Duo

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One other thing... What's the deal with returns? Let's say I purchase a pair, try them out, and don't like them, can earphones be returned for a refund after wearing them? Are there certain retailers that are better than others for this?

Thanks!

I've been successful in returning two IEMs (different sellers, MEElectronics and Uncle Wilson/Jaben, both known for excellent customer service policies) that I'd used for about a week each for partial refund. I was extremely careful to preserve the original packaging, and did my listening evaluations with tips other than those supplied - the Shure E2c silicone (and Comply T400 foam) I have happened to be the correct size for those earphones also.

I'd rather not overdo this sort of thing, but I'm still getting 'calibrated' for my likes/dislikes compared to the sound qualities described in this forum. I won't return the MEElec M9P's coming soon regardless of how I like them. I suspect I WILL like them, they're remarkably inexpensive, and can be my at-work or back-up set.

There's also an active For Sale forum within head-fi.org.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 20
RE0 does not have a mic so you can't use them for calls. They are great for music however depending on how you enjoy it.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0 does not have a mic so you can't use them for calls. They are great for music however depending on how you enjoy it.

I agree they sound great. Well worth the money. HOWEVER, they have quite a bit of microphonics when walking/travelling and I would not recommend them if that is their main purpose for you.

If you wear them over the ear, and use a shirt clip its helps but does not eliminate it.

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 20
really? microphonics wasn't that much worse than other iem's i had. maybe it was partly due to the foam tips i was using with the combination of the clip, slider and ear guides.

or probably cuz i got used to microphonics from iem's that it doesnt really bother me anymore..

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sk3383 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree they sound great. Well worth the money. HOWEVER, they have quite a bit of microphonics when walking/travelling and I would not recommend them if that is their main purpose for you.

If you wear them over the ear, and use a shirt clip its helps but does not eliminate it.

Thanks. Which ones that fit my criteria have the least amount of microphonics?

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearlgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Which ones that fit my criteria have the least amount of microphonics?

The Meelec M11P/M9P have almost none. The Klipsch S4i and Apple Dual-Drivers aren't far behind.

Mar 12, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #13 of 20
So it looks like it's been narrowed down to four possibilities:

1. Nuforce NE7m

2. Maximo iP-HS5

3. Klipsch S4i

4. MEElectronics M11P

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS DECISION!!!!!

Thanks

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 20
I had the NE-7M and M11P at the same time, and clearly preferred the NE-7M, as mentioned in earlier post. The MEElecs were OK, like hearing music from a decent stereo, but the NuForce make me feel like I'm in the room with the musicians. The NE-7M have "lushness", warmth and balance that is highly engaging, and the soundstage seemed better defined. Microphonics from NuForce and MEElec were similar (low), but I preferred the NuForce cable proportions.

Regarding NE-7M versus S4i, here's what Mr. Khali said about that pairing (from page 55 of Headphone Addict's review of the NE-7M):

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had the NE-7M for about a year now and recently bought the S4i thinking it would be an upgrade. I have found I like the Nuforce IEM better! It is not as detailed but sounds smoother and more natural to me. The S4 definitely has more bass but sometimes it is too much. The Ne-7M has a larger soundstage as well which is important to me. I listen to NE-7M with the Shure silicones which opens up the sound a great deal over the stock tips and the Comply tips. I burned in the S4i over 100 hours but only listened to them with the stock medium tips. The S4i sibilance does go away with proper burn in but I find I only like them better when listening to hip hop. These are the only IEM's I have ever listened to so take it for what it is worth
smily_headphones1.gif

Headphone Addict compares the iP-HS5 pretty thoroughly to the NE-7M in his review of the former here. One common criticism of the Maximos is that their cable has more noticeable microphonics.

If you go with the NE-7M's I strongly recommend that you also get some Shure E2c silicone or Compy T400 tips. The both are quite comfortable and isolate very well (Comply more than Shure), but the T400s tend to reduce the treble a bit. I find that the Shures give a balanced sound, nothing dominates that shouldn't (OK, a little bit of strong bass on a few tracks), and nothing seems recessed, congested or veiled to my old ears.

I store my NE-7Ms in the supplied flat case, and after 5 months, the connector is showing some channel cutout when flexed deeply in one direction. I've notified NuForce, and expect that their excellent customer service will resolve this to my satisfaction.

BTW, I use both a Blackberry 8310 Curve and iPod 120Gb Classic (no EQ on either), and notice that the occasional "voluminous bass" of the NE-7M seems better balanced (never notice it) from the BB, and it isn't objectionable when it I hear it on the iPod.

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 20
This is what I was looking for, Thanks! It is a pretty difficult process to decide what to buy just from what you read. This is such a personal choice, and to not be able to try the product is challenging. Does anyone know of retail stores that you can listen to earphones before you buy them? Even if there are, they won't have every brand. The Airport Wireless stores are actually pretty cool about trying the earphones. They carried Shure, Klipsch, UE, Monster, and a few others, but these smaller brands aren't available.

With the increase in popularity of mobile devices, and people buying accessories for them (ie. earphones), I think that a store that had them on display to try would do very well. Someone on this site should start a business. Maybe I'll do it, ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back